Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new 1GHz 15" imac or second hand 800MHz 17"

new 1GHz 15" imac or second hand 800MHz 17"
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 05:02 PM

Hya, I need some help deciding what imac to get. I've currently got a 15" 1.25MHz Powerbook, but i'm selling it on e-bay because I need the money.

Anyway, I don't want to lose too much performance as i'm studying Graphic Design, I also want a machine that will last a while. I priced these two up and they came to about �1'000. A second hand 800MHz imac 17" and 1GHz 15" imac (new). Is there much difference in speed between the two machines?

I can afford about �1'000 though the less the better, and I don't want the e-mac because it's too big for my room.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 02:52 PM

I'd go with a new machine just to be safe. That's just me. There is only a 200 mhz speed difference anyway, barely noticeable in my opinion.

Beetleboy
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2004, 05:32 PM

Its a trade off. You just need to decide which is more important to you: The 200MHz or the extra screen space. Its especially hard to decide because given what you will be doing with the machine, both screen space and processor speed are desireable. If you can get along with 1024x768, I'd go with the GHz iMac. It's brand new, and faster.

But honestly, if you want bang for your buck... Don't get an iMac. They provide the least bang. You should get either an eMac, which would provide as much bang for less buck, or a G4 1.25GHz Power Mac and a cheap but good CRT. The Power Mac could serve you for years to come, and would be faster than your PowerBook overall.

If you want to save as much money as possible and still get a Power Mac, go refurbished. I have seen refurbished 1.25's for around $1099, and they are as good as new. They are also more likely to be reliable than a brand new machine since refurbished machines are put through hell in stabiliy testing before they are sold again, which the new machines are not subjected to. I swear by refurbished machines. I have owned a few myself, and I honestly don't think they were ever used. Perfect condition, still covered with the protective plastics and everything.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

DinoG4
Banned
Feb 10, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
Hya, I need some help deciding what imac to get. I've currently got a 15" 1.25MHz Powerbook, but i'm selling it on e-bay because I need the money.

Anyway, I don't want to lose too much performance as i'm studying Graphic Design, I also want a machine that will last a while. I priced these two up and they came to about �1'000. A second hand 800MHz imac 17" and 1GHz 15" imac (new). Is there much difference in speed between the two machines?

I can afford about �1'000 though the less the better, and I don't want the e-mac because it's too big for my room.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

hi, I have a new 17" 1ghz iMac, to me it runs sluggish/slow...it could be because of only 256mb ram running panther, but I dunno...New to this OS..I probably should of purchased a leftover dual 1.25 g4 for close to same price...But I do love this iMac, just wish it was quicker..good luck..Dino

spookykids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 06:50 PM

always go for the speed. i have a 800mhz imac and at times it feels slow. so i truly recommend getting the faster imac with a smaller screen.
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
--Emiliano Zapata

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by DinoG4:
256mb ram running panther
It is suicidal to run OS X with anything less than 512MBs of RAM.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Feb 10, 2004 at 07:38 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by beetleboy:
That's just me. There is only a 200 mhz speed difference anyway, barely noticeable in my opinion.
The 1GHz iMac also has a 167MHz system bus, compared to the older machine's 100MHz. Since the bus is a big bottleneck for the G4, I would definitely go for the new machine.

I assume the 17-inch iMac has the SuperDrive, however, and the 1GHz 15 has the combo.

Rono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
The 1GHz iMac also has a 167MHz system bus, compared to the older machine's 100MHz. Since the bus is a big bottleneck for the G4, I would definitely go for the new machine.

I assume the 17-inch iMac has the SuperDrive, however, and the 1GHz 15 has the combo.
I just purchased a refurb 17" FP 1ghz/256mb80gb/Super drive (133sys bus) for $1299. I couldn't see +$500 for .25 mhz and 34mhz sys bus differences.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Rono:
I just purchased a refurb 17" FP 1ghz/256mb80gb/Super drive (133sys bus) for $1299. I couldn't see +$500 for .25 mhz and 34mhz sys bus differences.
Actually its 250 MHz faster and has USB 2.0 and faster RAM along with the faster system bus. That makes a big difference when it comes to the system being more useful longer. You got a good deal on your system. The extra money was worth it for me since I don't plan on buying another system for a few years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules