Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.4 is in Software Update

10.3.4 is in Software Update (Page 3)
Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
May 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
Safari launch screen? I have never seen a launch or splash screen. All I ever see is the bouncing icon in the dock when launching Safari. Does anyone see something different then I do? I always see the splash screen for Microsoft I.E.
Just wanna keep in the know.
Oh gosh

"Hello, what have we here?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 06:21 PM

Safari launch screen? I have never seen a launch or splash screen. All I ever see is the bouncing icon in the dock when launching Safari. Does anyone see something different than I do? I always see the splash screen for Microsoft I.E.
Just wanna keep in the know.
I see magical pixies and unicorns flying all over my screen when I start Safari. Your computer must be messed up - I suggest you format and reinstall.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
I see magical pixies and unicorns flying all over my screen when I start Safari. Your computer must be messed up - I suggest you format and reinstall.
Wow, you are really a wise guy. Does your I.Q have the same number as the number of shoe laces in your shoe?
I wasn't asking rude question, I didn't deserve a rude answer.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 06:41 PM

Wow, you are really a wise guy. Does your I.Q have the same number as the number of shoe laces in your shoe?
new guy

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 06:44 PM

XBench results are exactly the same. Scrolling improvements are placebo effect. I don't use the smooth scrolling option if that's what people think is faster.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 07:42 PM

Xbench is not a reliable benchmark, but FWIW my 1.25 GHz AlBook went from an overall score of 114 in 10.3.3 to 137 in 10.3.4. Yes, CPU at "Highest" both times.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 27, 2004, 08:08 PM

look, next time you want a rude answer, come to a professional.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

mr. burns
Senior User
May 27, 2004, 08:20 PM

so..
- all my window dragging is slower
- dragging the scroll bar is slower
- i no longer have a sound output device
- my monitor goes back to it's default color profile each time i restart

how do i go back to 10.3.3.

ps - some of this stuff might be related to the fact that i spilled water on my keyboard earlier and my keys are tripped out, causing me to safe boot without anything pressed at startup :/
( Last edited by mr. burns; May 27, 2004 at 08:30 PM. )

not all who wander are lost.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 08:31 PM

i think the reaction is based on the fact that IN THE THREAD SWG said he was being sarcastic.

learn to read threads, and once you figure that out, and only then, do you have the right to get all up in a huff when someone calls you a dumbass.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 27, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i think the reaction is based on the fact that IN THE THREAD SWG said he was being sarcastic.

learn to read threads, and once you figure that out, and only then, do you have the right to get all up in a huff when someone calls you a dumbass.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by mr. burns:
ps - some of this stuff might be related to the fact that i spilled water on my keyboard earlier and my keys are tripped out, causing me to safe boot without anything pressed at startup :/

hldan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 09:03 PM

Maybe "you" should "read" threads. In his reply to me he didn't mention being sarcastic so since this doesn't apply to you then stay out of it and don't adlib by saying someone is calling someone else names.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 09:08 PM

Maybe "you" should "read" threads. In his reply to me he didn't mention being sarcastic so since this doesn't apply to you then stay out of it and don't adlib by saying someone is calling someone else names.
I AM ALPHA MALE!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 09:19 PM

six, count them six (6) posts between the post you quoted and the one where he says it was sarcasm

dude, it was a dumbass maneuver on your part, just let it go (we all have our moments), i know i am ready to.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2004, 09:54 PM

So I loaded on the Pismo and during the reboot the display switched to 256 colors and to top it off it was in B and w. Not good. Sys pref- only lists 256 colors as an option now.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

andrew davidoff
May 27, 2004, 10:42 PM

i did the update the night it came out on my 1gz 17" pb. my results

* the screen now flickers to black/junk before the 'start up' box appears and starts running through services. not a problem, but different. perhaps this is the video ram clearing or something?

* start up after log in takes about 2x as long

* i use file vault, and every time i've shut down my computer since the update i'm told i need to free up space even though i haven't done any major file adds, moves, or deletes.

* i've been having problems with what seems like a memory leak in apple mail (used against 1 pop server, 1 small imap, and 1 large imap all at the same time, all day every day) and after the update things seems worse, plus mail seems to be eating cpu during syncs for no good reason.

on a good note, os x is finally remembering my bluetooth settings. until now i've had to disable bluetooth each time i booted up and it wasn't staying disabled through reboots. now it is consistently.

andrew davidoff

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
When you connect to an AFP volume now and have SSH enabled (allow secure connections using SSH), you get a warning which wasn't present in 10.3.3.

This is probably a good thing, but how does one encrypt their AFP connections via SSH, or is this only usage for utilities like rsync or something?
God, as if you'd want AFP an excuse to be any slower than it already is. I've given it up on it, especially with wireless networks.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
God, as if you'd want AFP an excuse to be any slower than it already is. I've given it up on it, especially with wireless networks.
What do you use instead of AFP?

hldan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:36 AM

six, count them six (6) posts between the post you quoted and the one where he says it was sarcasm

dude, it was a dumbass maneuver on your part, just let it go (we all have our moments), i know i am ready to.
In the beginning I only asked a question about Safari in response to an earlier post. There was no reason for anyone to be offended by it so insulting me was unnecessary. It's obvious that you have too much time on your hands. Do something constructive like help people here in this forum instead of starting drama. Don't waste anymore time replying to this as I will no longer respond. Take care.
( Last edited by hldan; May 28, 2004 at 03:42 AM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Dennis002
May 28, 2004, 04:55 AM

After update 3.3 to 3.4, as soon as I start my PB the fan immediatly starts blowing and keeps blowing till I shut my PD down (PB is still cold). Why? Tried permissions, reinstalled the combo-updater, trashed system preferences.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 05:33 AM

Does anyone else have a problem where Mail will not remember its window position any more? - every time I start mail it appears with a tiny little window.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 28, 2004, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Does anyone else have a problem where Mail will not remember its window position any more? - every time I start mail it appears with a tiny little window.
can't say i've heard of that happening. have you tried beer?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Ω
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 06:16 AM

Safari has a launch screen???

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
can't say i've heard of that happening. have you tried beer?
I tried drinking a lot of red wine last night - but it only gave me a mild headache and Beer-Goggles.

Perhaps I'll poke around the defaults and get rid of any window positions...

JKT
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Is this the same problem that causes a tiny Terminal window? I learnt about this last week in this thread and it happens if you have certain fonts disabled (Monaco in Terminal's case).

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
Is this the same problem that causes a tiny Terminal window? I learnt about this last week in this thread and it happens if you have certain fonts disabled (Monaco in Terminal's case).
I don't think so - I don't have any fonts disabled - I think it was a preference that went bad - window positions are stored in app's preferences.

My copy of Mail was using the defaults and not using my preferences - but a couple of window resizes and quits seems to have purged the stuck pref.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 09:07 AM

Stupid question --> sarcastic answer. It usually just ends there but WEEEEEEEEE what fun it made in this thread!

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2004, 10:32 AM

It was a funny answer. Safari has the same launch screen as Mail, iChat, Address book and iPhoto.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 10:34 AM

In the beginning I only asked a question about Safari in response to an earlier post. There was no reason for anyone to be offended by it so insulting me was unnecessary. It's obvious that you have too much time on your hands. Do something constructive like help people here in this forum instead of starting drama. Don't waste anymore time replying to this as I will no longer respond. Take care.
ENGLISH M*****F****R, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 11:04 AM

lol, hey people, my iMac 600MHz is taking almost twice as long to boot and load the Finder since installing 10.3.4...has anyone else had thses problems?

jack
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

gkrykewy
May 28, 2004, 11:26 AM

Has anyone had success installing the update on a Pismo. Everything seems fine on my g4 iBook, but my fiance has a Pismo - I'll avoid installing the update if the only feedback I have from a Pismo user is a black and white screen with 256 colors!

f1000
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Jack-iMac:
lol, hey people, my iMac 600MHz is taking almost twice as long to boot and load the Finder since installing 10.3.4...has anyone else had thses problems?
Get an iMac 1200 MHz.

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 02:02 PM

that would be nice, but they are a bit expensive, as i am a student i dont really need such a fast computer, even though i would like one though!
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

emark
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Will McGoonigle:
Fixed. But what else does this update do that I maye find useful? Are games faster?
THE FINDER BUG IS NOT FIXED. Play the quicktime movie in the preview, not just view the icon/start image ....now, try and resize the columns and you get a jittery mess

NOT FIXED.

emark
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 05:02 PM

if your anything is taking twice as long to load, log in as a different/new user...still seem to be the same? back up important files and do a fresh install....

good luck

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by gkrykewy:
Has anyone had success installing the update on a Pismo. Everything seems fine on my g4 iBook, but my fiance has a Pismo - I'll avoid installing the update if the only feedback I have from a Pismo user is a black and white screen with 256 colors!

works beautifully on my aging pismo/400/768/20g...
so far so good (except for the cd/dvd icon having disappeared from sys prefs...!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

jedi1yoda1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by jtaylr77:
Has anyone else seen the icon in System preferences for CD/DVD not there after updating? Mine is gone.
Mine went away on my G5, but not my TiBook. After a recent restart though, it's back.

It's the little things...
-All your base stations are belong to us.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2004, 05:52 PM

Here's a bug that's not fixed and not yet talked about.

Open a folder that contains some more folders. In view options select show all file sizes.

If you drag something into a folder it will update the size. If you drag something out of a folder it will not.

I do this when archiving data (making nice 4 to 4.3GB folders for DVD). But it's very annoying to have to drop an empty folder in to see what a downsized folder's new size is.

Is it just me or is it hot in here?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Lost range for my airport! What gives?
Try resetting Open firmware

restart hold down
cmd-opt-o-f

reset-nvram
[Hit enter key]

set-defaults
[Hit enter key]

reset-all
[Hit enter key]

Type everything EXACTLY as shown. I am not responsible if this screws up your computer. This worked for me.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 09:58 PM

I'm noticing very sub-par performance in Halo at the moment. I booted off my Carbon Copy clone of 10.3.3 and the problems went away. I'd say that Apple "tweaked" something that shouldn't have been.

Any chance I can revert back to 10.3.3 using it's combo updater??? I'm going to give it a shot since I have a bootable backup of 10.3.3 anyway, I'm writing this post from it just to make sure
MacBook Pro

daviejones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 11:47 PM

im sorry

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
I'm noticing very sub-par performance in Halo at the moment. I booted off my Carbon Copy clone of 10.3.3 and the problems went away. I'd say that Apple "tweaked" something that shouldn't have been.

Any chance I can revert back to 10.3.3 using it's combo updater??? I'm going to give it a shot since I have a bootable backup of 10.3.3 anyway, I'm writing this post from it just to make sure
try turning on vsync in halo and then playing. please report back.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 01:01 AM

Has anyone had problems with their iSub after the update? I just updated today and the volume control on my iSub doesn't work. The actual sub creates some sound, but not a lot. Mute works, too, but I can't get it to change from the sucky volume it's on now.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

davecom
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by starman:
new guy
<sarcasm>What does that make you... the cool guy?</sarcasm>

HAL9000
Forum Regular
May 29, 2004, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by intake:
It's a big mother, about 81.5 MB for the combined, and 41MB for the incremental version.
Both are for client version.
What does "client version" mean? TIA
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by HAL9000:
What does "client version" mean? TIA
There is a "client version" of OS X and a "server" version... If you have a regular mac and not a server... more than likely you have the client version... it's not called that, but that's what it is. But the server version is called "Mac OS X Server"...

richardb
May 29, 2004, 11:57 AM

I, for one, side with hldan in this matter. Less sarcasm and off-topic banter, please!
Powerbook G4 1.2 Ghz, 1 Gb.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

How about we skip this endless Alpha-Male bickering crap, and get back to how to do SSH AFP connections with OS X Client?

Tetranucleic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
startup & finder seem snappier, as does safari (easy to see on my pismo...)

one weird thing: the cd icon in my system prefs "cds& dvds" is gone...
any ideas anyone??
Happened to me to, but a restart fixed it. Otherwise, 3.4 is great. Things definitely feel snappier, perhaps due to the new video drivers. The Genie Effect is so much fun at high speeds

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
How about we skip this endless Alpha-Male bickering crap, and get back to how to do SSH AFP connections with OS X Client?
That worked perfectly fine until I switched from built-in Airport card/Software Base Station to my newly acquired D-Link DI-624 WLAN router.

Finder now informs me that my server does not support secure log-in.

WTF?

Forum Links
Forum Rules