Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod - now or wait?

iPod - now or wait?
MathiasDK
Jun 20, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hello,

I got the money to purchase a 20 GB iPod from Applestore.
Would now be a wise time to make my purchase though I heard
some roumers of an upgrade at the WWDC (?) in a couple of weeks.

What do you think?
Will the iPod be upgraded and WHAT will the changes be if so?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2004, 01:41 PM

Wait until WWDC. Not too far away and if there is an upgrade, you may want the newest ones. And stores may drop prices to clear inventory. And if no iPods are announced, you've only lost a few days waiting.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 05:07 PM

Toshiba has "announced" 60 gb drives, but I don't thin k they're shipping until Sept. at the earliest. We probably won't see an iPod revision now, and we certainly won't see an iPod mini revision until at least some time in the fall.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 05:21 PM

Don't get one yet. WWDC is really close, just wait until then.

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2004, 08:35 AM

I would say wait aswell,
If there is no upgrade at the WWDC then u get the iPod u would of bought now so there and if there is an upgrade u get the upgraded iPod. U cant lose anything
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2004, 10:17 AM

It's unlikely that anything will happen until Sept./Oct. - since that's when the 60-gig drives will start shipping in volume.

However, you never know, and a week until WWDC surely isn't too long of a wait...

Dr.Michael
Jun 22, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by MathiasDK:
Hello,

I got the money to purchase a 20 GB iPod from Applestore.
Would now be a wise time to make my purchase though I heard
some roumers of an upgrade at the WWDC (?) in a couple of weeks.

What do you think?
Will the iPod be upgraded and WHAT will the changes be if so?
I did not follow apples upgrade politics carefully. But the iPod is a consumer product and I don't see a reason why apple should announce new versions at a developer conference. This is more for powermacs, software and stuff like that.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
But the iPod is a consumer product and I don't see a reason why apple should announce new versions at a developer conference. This is more for powermacs, software and stuff like that.
Check out the Apple announcements at previous "developer" conferences.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 01:11 PM

As it's so close, I would definitely wait. I FINALLY got my mini last week (was supposed to be 6 weeks earlier!), and there was a part of me that was hoping it would be even later, just to see. Actually, though, I am thinking only a revised "big" ipod will be announced. So I'm fine with my very, very nice new mini.

Keep telling yourself, it's just around the corner...

natan
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
I did not follow apples upgrade politics carefully. But the iPod is a consumer product and I don't see a reason why apple should announce new versions at a developer conference. This is more for powermacs, software and stuff like that.
iSight/iChat AV were announced last WWDC, not really something specifically targetted to developers.

We know that the 60gb drives won't be shipping until August/September, but remember how the iPod Mini was announced January 6th and it was announced that day that they wouldn't ship until early-mid February? I could see a similar thing happening; an iPod update on 6/28/04 (WWDC) and not shipping until early-mid August.

I'm in the same boat, I don't know whether to buy an iPod right now or not (monotonous desk job is killing me, iPod would make it easier). I think regardless of what happens on Monday, I'll be ordering an iPod that day.

Also, if you haven't already, check the iPod refurb prices on the Apple Store, they're pretty good right now.

natan
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Toshiba has "announced" 60 gb drives, but I don't thin k they're shipping until Sept. at the earliest. We probably won't see an iPod revision now, and we certainly won't see an iPod mini revision until at least some time in the fall.

CV
What makes you think 'at least some time in the fall'? The last iPod mini update was already five and a half months ago.

83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2004, 01:58 PM

I am considering a newer iPod since I have the original 5gig - while space is still more than I need, I'm interested in additional functionality in the iPod OS and a tad smaller form factor.

Aside from addtional capacity options, what is the current speculation on functionality enhancements?

BTW, kudos on the ipod/BMW collaboration, hopefully we'll see more of this much like XM & Sirius headunits in cars.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 01:59 PM

iPod could sport a 50 instead of 60. And prices could drop down the line too clear inventory of current models as well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by 83caddy16v:
Aside from addtional capacity options, what is the current speculation on functionality enhancements?
Rumors include some sort of video port and decent audio recording capability. The latter is a given, I'd hope.

Because that's the real justification I'd have for buying one.

-s*

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 10:06 PM

If you want one now, buy it. If you can wait, then do so.

Unless you have a ton of music, your 20 would probably last you a while. So what if there are new ones out, as long as you are happy with your purchase.

doctre
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 08:31 PM

I'd be willing to bet they don't announce any updates for the mini... they're order lines are too long now. Anyone who has ordered in the past 3 weeks has been quoted a 4 week ship time. And I'd be willing to bet most of those people cancel their order in favor of the new one (well the ones that haven't waited as long say the people who ordered a week up to two weeks ago). I know I would. I'd bet that Apple waits for the mini's current generation to catch up a bit more before announcing an update. Probably at one of the later shows this year.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 09:58 PM

I don't know about that. The margins are higher with the bigger iPods. You'd think Apple would be happy if customers canceled their mini orders in favor of the new iPods.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

doctre
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 10:18 PM

I meant I don't think they would announce new updates to the mini line.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 10:50 PM

I'm not getting a clear gut feeling on this one but my local Apple Store has been selling some of its demo/display iPods on the "refreshed" table and this makes me think they may update the larger ones since those are the ones they are selling.

A decent guess for WWDC would be new monitors, new larger ipods, some desktop revision (emac imac), and of course a few details about tiger. A back to school Powerbook and ipod deal would be great too (and a good way to give away some old stock).

Forum Links
Forum Rules