Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Gmail menu extra?

Gmail menu extra? (Page 2)
natan
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
GTray's icon is just the Google favicon, so it kind of makes sense.

I think I'll download this and check it out myself after I run an errand!
Well, we were implying the legal issues of using Google's own G, and I was pointing out that GTray using their favicon is just as illegal.
( Last edited by natan; Jun 23, 2004 at 01:41 PM. )

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 01:44 PM

yeah, i didnt think about it, but a lower-case g would be better there... plus, i never heard of them going after anyone using a lowercase g for their product..
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

JayTay
Jun 23, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by natan:
Of these features, which are most important to you guys?
In order:

Icon menubar mode
Sound notification
Timer bug fix
Secure login storage
Multiple accounts

And by the way, have to say that I'm most impressed with it so far, looking forward to any future versions with bated breath.

natan
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 12:06 PM

Icon menubar mode - Done
Sound notification - Done
Timer bug fix - Done
Secure login storage - Done
Multiple accounts - Postponed to a later release

gCount v0.3 is nearly ready, I just want to make sure there aren't any major memory leaks. Expect a release and a web site tomorrow

natan
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2004, 03:30 AM

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 11:17 AM

Love the new icon; great!
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

lenox
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Love the new icon; great!
Glad you like the icons

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2004, 03:15 AM

Did gmail change their login mechanism?

I've been getting "Cannot login to service" all evening with gcount; however if I go to the website it works fine.

odd.

natan
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by cteselle:
Did gmail change their login mechanism?

I've been getting "Cannot login to service" all evening with gcount; however if I go to the website it works fine.

odd.
v0.3.2 been working fine in the past 24 hours for me... did you change any of your preferences?

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by natan:
v0.3.2 been working fine in the past 24 hours for me... did you change any of your preferences?
Somehow my login info vanished. Don't know how that happened, but once I reentered it, all was back to normal. I've had it on my PB since it was released, with no problems, then all of a sudden it just stopped. I don't even think I've had the preferences window open since I first set it up, so who knows how it wiped my login info.

odd.

natan
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by cteselle:
Somehow my login info vanished. Don't know how that happened, but once I reentered it, all was back to normal. I've had it on my PB since it was released, with no problems, then all of a sudden it just stopped. I don't even think I've had the preferences window open since I first set it up, so who knows how it wiped my login info.

odd.
If you changed your keychain at all, or related security preferences in other browsers, you might have deleted your login information. Maybe I should put a warning for this somewhere.

On a side note, any other feature requests for v0.4? So far I've finished threading (so that the GUI doesn't lock up) and a "Dock mode", where there is a gCount icon in the Dock with a red badge w/ unread count, a la Mail.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 02:26 PM

There's something of which you might want to be aware as far as copyright limitations and menu icons go:

The text of the Google logo is an Adobe Folio font called Catull. It's owned by Adobe, not by Google, so I have a hard time believing that an icon with a "G" rendered in the Catull font would be an infringement upon Google's copyright. As far as I am aware (IANAL), the copyright can't cover the font face alone, so an infringement would have to involve other elements of the Google logo (the color scheme, for example, or the drop shadow) or be lifted directly from the Google Web site and altered in some manner. When I created my icon set for 0.3 (the icons can be seen at the bottom of this thread), I used the Catull font rather than lifting elements from Google's Web site, so I don't see any reason why those couldn't be used. That said, choice is a good thing... I'd love to see a preference for menu appearance with a few different graphic styles to choose from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules