Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane Dennis the Menace: On The Way

Hurricane Dennis the Menace: On The Way (Page 2)
Dennis002
Jul 10, 2005, 03:28 PM

Why calling a hurricane Dennis?

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis002
Because we like naming hurricanes after real people's names just to anger them. Few people actually know hurricane Dennis' full name: Dennis Muningjock Stapliouckloson.

(Note to Dennis Muningjock Stapliouckloson: this post has nothing to do with you. It's purely coincidental if your name is actually Dennis Muningjock Stapliouckloson.)

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jul 10, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesky
It's basically targeting TV reporters.

I keep waiting to see one of them decapitated by an airborne stop sign on live TV. They'd get bonus points if the reporter is using a handheld anemometer when it happens.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58
I keep waiting to see one of them decapitated by an airborne stop sign on live TV. They'd get bonus points if the reporter is using a handheld anemometer when it happens.
I was just watching CNN, getting very comical. Cooper and some guy being blown around, hollering while various large objects flew past them. The big caption at the bottom said "CNN REPORTERS TAKiNG COVER...METAL SIGNS FLYING."
( Last edited by Bluesky; Jul 10, 2005 at 04:43 PM. )

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 04:13 PM

Change the thread subject as it has now come ashore. I am watching a baseball game anyway to avoid idiot reporters. I lived through one hurricane in New Orleans and lived in Ocean Springs, Miss near Biloxi for a couple of years so I know about this stuff. Only an idiot would stand outside and those who watch are cheering him on. sam

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 04:29 PM

Last year, during Charley (I think it was Charley - there were so many I can't keep them straight), some fool down in Punta Gorda went outside to smoke a cigarrette while the hurricane was passing over. He died.

Has anyone else noticed that hurricances seem to always get near Florida on the weekend? It seems like it's rare to be sitting one out during the week.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 04:31 PM

I've been praying that everyone with be comforted and safe.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 04:47 PM

I hope they die. YEAH, YOU HEARD ME.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 10, 2005, 04:57 PM

Roflmao.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 04:59 PM

No, I was just kidding. I just want the Disney World people to die.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2005, 05:07 PM

I've always thought that if Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel ever shows up in town, that would be a great time to LEAVE! They never send him anywhere except so he can get trashed/frozen/pummeled/pelted and otherwise bashed by bad weather. I have to wonder what he did to tick the Weather Channel people off so badly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I've always thought that if Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel ever shows up in town, that would be a great time to LEAVE! They never send him anywhere except so he can get trashed/frozen/pummeled/pelted and otherwise bashed by bad weather. I have to wonder what he did to tick the Weather Channel people off so badly.
He's a masochist.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Exactly how bored do you have to be in order to watch the Weather Channel?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2005, 05:28 PM

Actually it's not boredom. Having lived on the Gulf Coast, it became a habit to check the morning program before heading out for the day because they usually had a fair clue about what to expect. Since then I've kept watching in the morning just to keep from having the house silent during breakfast. I need a bit more than coffee to get started that early...So I have a bit of background noise that reminds me of the time every ten minutes.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 10, 2005 at 09:46 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 09:41 PM

Could anyone post a screenshot of all these widgets focused on hurricane Dennis? Click to go to download pages (hosted in Apple.com)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sherwin
Put your burger down before you embark on that line of thinking Mas...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...urce=PA%20Feed

Agreed. That's why I eat organic meat whenever possible. Less quantity, more quality.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2005, 10:23 PM

The first part of the storm was pretty nasty. Lots of wind and rain, then after the eye passed we got lots of wind but just sprinkles of water. I am currently on generator power but surprisingly the phone/dsl still works. Here's some pics I snapped during the storm while running around on the porch like a crazy man. Both from the back and front porch.

Edit: To clarify I live in Pace, Fl. Thats midwest Santa Rosa County, probably bout 20 miles from the coast. The eye passed directly over my house.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
I'll start a post in the politics section about this very subject later tonight, so we dont kill this thread. Look forward to more of your every one is against American propaganda too
If you haven't already, don't bother. If you have, then have a nice argument, because I have no interest in wasting my time. I will not check the political forum. If you believe a tyrant who's been in power by force for over 40 years, with no free elections, who had Soviet missiles directly pointed at us (and more precisely, at us, South Florida) at one point is somehow better than the U.S., then there's little hope of reasonable argument with you, and I wish not to waste my time.

On topic:

It seems that most of the danger has passed, as Dennis is reported to have maximum sustained winds of only 35 miles per hour now.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/082044.shtml

And yes the reporters are rather annoying and ridiculous. But it's all about the ratings, right?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 07:39 AM

Glad to hear that major damage was kept to a minimum, I know these are preliminary reports but I hope everyone did well and gets their power back soon!

Looks like one for us on the east coast will be next:

Dennis002
Jul 11, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
Because we like naming hurricanes after real people's names just to anger them. Few people actually know hurricane Dennis' full name: Dennis Muningjock Stapliouckloson.

(Note to Dennis Muningjock Stapliouckloson: this post has nothing to do with you. It's purely coincidental if your name is actually Dennis Muningjock Stapliouckloson.)
I wonder how you found out my real name ..

Anyway, I want this thing renamed. Why not call it dr. Phil?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
Looks like one for us on the east coast will be next:

Crap.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 12:22 PM

And another Tropical cyclone just came off the coast of Africa. Looks like the East Coast is in for a world of hurt again this year.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis002
http://swiftreport.blogs.com/news/20...rric.html#more

Because Dennis spelled backwards is "sinned"
sam

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Crap.
I think you meant holy crap.

Let's hope this season isn't as active as it seems it's going to be.

Believe it or not but we got some wind gusts and brief rain east of Tulsa yesterday evening, from Dennis. That doesn't happen too often!

wowway1
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 04:57 PM

I was in the Outer Banks years ago (1999 I think) for the first Dennis. We arrived on Saturday and got to Nags Head before we found out the island that our house that we were renting was on was being evacuated. We stayed at the same hotel as the weather.com crew (yes, Jim was there). Dennis was a weak cat 1 storm, and parked itself right offshore from where we were and just stopped. By Monday we were ready to head home when we saw on TV that moorehead city looked great, so 5 hours later we were there. Bright and sunny. By noon Tuesday it was getting cloudy, and reports were that Dennis was reversing direction (yes heading south against the gulf stream). Wednesday was rain all day, Thursday a repeat, Friday mornign we got word that the island we were on was being evacuated. We high-tailed it to Richmond, VA where we were flyign out of the next day to learn that it made landfall right where we had just left.

Fun. I still have the newspaper pics of the hotel we stayed at from Tuesday, when the olympic-sized swimming pool fell into the drink from beach errosion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules