Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need a quick answer about Powerbook cases!

Need a quick answer about Powerbook cases!
qkslvr
Dec 23, 2006, 03:27 AM

Hi all,

Unfortunately, my Powerbook took a bit of a dive off my bed the other day, right onto where the power adapter plugs into. I have already gotten my replacement adapter, and everything works fine, but there's a nice dent in my lower case.

A quick search on eBay has turned up this...

I'd jump on it right away if there wasn't this one disconcerting line in the description...

CAN BE INSTALLED IN 1 or 1.25 GHz 15" Aluminum PowerBooks
I have a 15" 1.67 GHz PBook, and was wondering if this will fit or if I need a different part.

Need the answer quick, as the auction ends rather soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 03:58 AM

I imagine that there was some siginificant internal component reshuffling between the 1.25 and 1.67Ghz models, so I would say no.

But I have no idea.
Linkinus is king.

macdevil
Dec 23, 2006, 04:04 AM

From a quick browse of ifixit website I agree with brokenjago, I don't think it will work. Same piece is available for slightly higeher price on there site. They don't have the greatest prices, but they seem to reliable on what will fit from those who I have talked to...
( Last edited by macdevil; Dec 23, 2006 at 04:08 AM. Reason: gramatical error)
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by qkslvr View Post
Hi all,

Unfortunately, my Powerbook took a bit of a dive off my bed the other day, right onto where the power adapter plugs into. I have already gotten my replacement adapter, and everything works fine, but there's a nice dent in my lower case.
I did the exact same thing with my PB 15" 1.5. My power adapter bent but i was able to plier it back to where it was usable again. The dent was not that noticible, but i replaced the lower case anyway.

I bought my lower case from iFixIt.com and did the swap myself, took me most of the day since I was really meticulous in keeping track of each screw...(I used pics from the take apart guide and double stick tape to keep track of each screw and where it came from)
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 04:02 PM

And you need to get the case for your model PowerBook...

1.3/1.5
1.5/1.67

There are differences
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

qkslvr  (op)
Dec 24, 2006, 05:11 PM

Thank you all for the help. I may just take the bottom case off and see what I can do to straighten stuff out. Can anyone help me out with where to find a take apart guide for the Powerbook?

The only ones I've found also include taking the top cover off, so does anyone know where to find one for just the lower cover? Or are they both needed to be removed?

Thanks again.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by qkslvr View Post
Thank you all for the help. I may just take the bottom case off and see what I can do to straighten stuff out. Can anyone help me out with where to find a take apart guide for the Powerbook?

The only ones I've found also include taking the top cover off, so does anyone know where to find one for just the lower cover? Or are they both needed to be removed?

Thanks again.
I bought my take apart manual from powerbookmedic.com
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

Forum Links
Forum Rules