Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Highlander Movie Question

Highlander Movie Question
selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Brenda
I'm not looking for a killer. I'm looking for a sword. The one used on Fasil. I only want to see the samurai.
Originally Posted by Connor Macleod
Why?
Originally Posted by Brenda
Because it's not supposed to exist. I dated the blade at B.C. The metal had been folded 20 times. The Japanese didn't make swords like that till the Middle Ages. So where the hell did it come from? If I could verify its existence it would be like discovering a 747 a thousand years before the Wright Brothers ever flew!
Why would there be a far-too-advanced sword for its time with a carbon signature of 400 B.C.? I suppose one explanation would be that the swords actually came from the planet Zeist, and only *appear* to be advanced and anachronistic swords of Earth origin. What's weird is, just because these guys are immortal doesn't mean they travel through time, taking their futuristic weapons with them into earlier eras ... or does it?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 10:50 PM

What in God's name are you talking about?

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 10:52 PM

So why was Sean Connery's character a Spanish swordfighter had a Scottish accent.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
YouTube - The Highlander-ATHF

It's pretty self-explanatory.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Why would there be a far-too-advanced sword for its time with a carbon signature of 400 B.C.? I suppose one explanation would be that the swords actually came from the planet Zeist, and only *appear* to be advanced and anachronistic swords of Earth origin. What's weird is, just because these guys are immortal doesn't mean they travel through time, taking their futuristic weapons with them into earlier eras ... or does it?
Since the immortals are all about swords, maybe we are supposed to take it that the guy who owned this sword taught the Japanese how to make them hundreds of years later?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
So why was Sean Connery's character a Spanish swordfighter had a Scottish accent.
As Ramirez, Connery's character, himself says, "[He's] not Spanish. [He's] Egyptian. :-)
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Since the immortals are all about swords, maybe we are supposed to take it that the guy who owned this sword taught the Japanese how to make them hundreds of years later?
But teaching it to them later wouldn't produce swords too advanced for their time, would they?
Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Dude, the thread is entitled "Highlander Movie Question". It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I'm asking a question about ... a movie called Highlander, but apparently it does take someone smarter than you.
( Last edited by selowitch; Feb 19, 2007 at 11:08 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2007, 11:09 PM

Allow me to illustrate with a timeline:

• c. 500 BC — John the Immortal creates a really cool sword.

• c. AD 1000 — John the Immortal teaches the Japanese how to make cool swords.

• c. AD 1990 — Some chick finds John's original sword, which she knows as a kind of sword that was created in Japan in AD 1000.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 12:14 AM

The whole planet Zeist thing from Highlander 2 was so vomitously bad that it made me gouge out one of my eyes with a fork. Have no fear, the steaming pile of fecal matter that was Highlander 3 made me gouge out my other eye and then pour bleach into the bleeding socket.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

faragbre967
Senior User
Feb 20, 2007, 12:20 AM

Sorry to completely derail this thread, but how do you carbon date metal? And by metal I mean, any metal.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 12:42 AM

Man... its a movie. Its one good movie followed by 3 bad movies and a decent TV show. Trying to put logic into it is like trying to figure out the logic in there being Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. How can they be so fast when they're living in the cold sewer and they're cold blooded?

Sighhh.....

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
The whole planet Zeist thing from Highlander 2 was so vomitously bad that it made me gouge out one of my eyes with a fork. Snip.
Don't forget the blatant BTTF2 hoverboard ripoff scene!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Allow me to illustrate with a timeline:

• c. 500 BC — John the Immortal creates a really cool sword.

• c. AD 1000 — John the Immortal teaches the Japanese how to make cool swords.

• c. AD 1990 — Some chick finds John's original sword, which she knows as a kind of sword that was created in Japan in AD 1000.
• c. AD 2006 - macgeek2005 tries to buy it but his mom won't let him.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Man... its a movie. Its one good movie followed by 3 bad movies and a decent TV show.
I largely agree, altho I did feel that Highlander: Endgame was not entirely horrible.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 01:40 AM

--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 01:48 AM

Well...

This thread makes me oh so horribly regretful that I haven't ever seen a Highlander movie. Guess I'll go brush my teeth and watch Ferguson.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 02:29 AM

I largely agree, altho I did feel that Highlander: Endgame was not entirely horrible.
Wait... are we talking about the same movie? Because all I can remember about it at this point was that half the film was filled with long, dark, shots of people walking set to equally depressing cyber punk music.

Seriously, I tried to like it. I really did.

Rumor
Feb 20, 2007, 03:28 AM

The series with Adrian Paul was the best. He makes a better Highlander than what's his nut with the raspy voice.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 06:05 AM

Yeah, but the guy who played The Kurgan, Clancy Brown, is the same guy who does the voice of Mr. Krabs on Spongebob Squarepants. Every time I watch Spongebob with my kids, I chuckle a little when Mr. Krabs talks. I can just picture Mr. Krabs walking through New York with a broadsword

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=Rev-O;3306782and then pour bleach into the bleeding socket.[/QUOTE]That's a nice strong finish. Kudos.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 12:00 PM

Never seen any of them. Are they worth watching?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Never seen any of them. Are they worth watching?
1 & 4 - worth a watch.
2 & 3 - avoid.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
The whole planet Zeist thing from Highlander 2 was so vomitously bad that it made me gouge out one of my eyes with a fork. Have no fear, the steaming pile of fecal matter that was Highlander 3 made me gouge out my other eye and then pour bleach into the bleeding socket.
I try to ignore Highlander II and III in the same way I ignore everything after the original Stargate movie.

Why can't they just leave a OKish Sci-Fi movie alone...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I try to ignore Highlander II and III in the same way I ignore everything after the original Stargate movie.
While it's extremely wise to ignore Highlander II and III, you're missing loads of fun in the Stargate world.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by faragbre967 View Post
Sorry to completely derail this thread, but how do you carbon date metal? And by metal I mean, any metal.
You can't use radio carbon dating on clean metal itself, but you can use it fairly reliably on the rust. For the most part, x-ray diffraction is used to determine the composition of a metal and where it was made. From that, they can determine who made it based on cultural references.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
From that, they can determine who made it based on cultural references.
And then you behead that person, because they're can only be one.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 03:16 AM

"highlander movie question"

i was afraid they made another with that dreadful dull actor from druids
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
The series with Adrian Paul was the best. He makes a better Highlander than what's his nut with the raspy voice.
Everybody seems to like running down Christopher Lambert, but I thought he was excellent as the original Highlander. He was just enigmatic and charismatic enough to pull it off. Many people also thought he did a good job as Raiden in the Mortal Kombat movie. Okay, so the dude had a laughably poor Scottish accent — does anyone think Sean Connery had a good Russian accent in The Hunt for Red October? No. But he was able to pull of the role off Marko Ramius because of his presence as an actor.
( Last edited by selowitch; Feb 21, 2007 at 09:36 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
1 & 4 - worth a watch.
2 & 3 - avoid.
I want to underline 'avoid'... Nay, in fact steer clear of their destructive path of obnoxious awfulness. Especially no.2. (shiver)

(no they are not even so bad that they'd be worth a 'curiosity' watch - they take themselves far too seriously)

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 04:08 PM

Everybody seems to like running down Christopher Lambert, but I thought he was excellent as the original Highlander. He was just enigmatic and charismatic enough to pull it off. Many people also thought he did a good job as Raiden in the Mortal Kombat movie. Okay, so the dude had a laughably poor Scottish accent — does anyone think Sean Connery had a good Russian accent in The Hunt for Red October? No. But he was able to pull of the role off Marko Ramius because of his presence as an actor.
IMHO, he was very good in Highlander I. But I've never seen him in another film where I liked him. There are some really interesting parts to the story about how the film was made. Apparently they only had Sean Connery for a few days... and when Christopher Lambert showed up on set, the director didn't know he could hardly speak english.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2007, 09:27 PM

I would have never known that he couldn`t speak much english.

Connery`s accent must be overlooked in most films hes in. Seriously. Red October. Love it. Accents in it, not so much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules