Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Is Leopard causing your Parallels install to break?

Is Leopard causing your Parallels install to break?
markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2007, 05:20 PM

Heya, all. Just updated to Leopard. Love it, of course. Out of all the applications on my drive, only two did not survive the transition: PithHelmet and Parallels. PithHelmet I expected (and there's always Privoxy!) but Parallels? *Insert sound of Darth Vader screaming "Nooooo!" here*

I'm in the midst of reinstalling 2.5 Build 3214 right now. What I think caused the problem was booting into BootCamp and using the Leopard disk to install the Apple drivers. (I say this because I was able to launch Parallels right before I did that -- but I didn't access the bootcamp partition. I was just checking for updates.)

Just a warning for the rest of you. Anyone else run into this problem? Any recommendations for fixing it?

I swear, if I have to activate that copy of XP one more time, Bill Gates is going to punch me in the mouth. :-)

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 01:39 AM

I have Parallels 3, build 5160, and I can't launch in Leopard. I get the following:

"Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application."

I'll try to find time to re-install tomorrow. Right now, I'm waiting for Leopard to finish indexing my hard drive for Spotlight and, I imagine, Time machine.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 04:44 PM

Well, I re-installed, and it looks like Parallels is hosed right now. It just doesn't want to launch.

I'm running an iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz with 2 Gigs of RAM.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 10:16 PM

I got the same error too, which made me worry. I went to Parallels website and downloaded v.5160 and reinstalled it. Fortunately that did the trick and all is better now.

AC Rempt -- you might want double check that it didn't create a leftover ".mem" file in the Parallels folder where your Virtual Machine resides. If it did, delete the bad .mem file then it will launch.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 11:36 PM

Word on the street is VMWare Fusion works with Leopard. My copy of Leopard will arrive 30 Oct so I'll let you know for sure then.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 11:59 PM

Thanks, dowNNshift. Where does Parallels put its virtual machines by default? I'm searching, but I can't find it.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 12:14 AM

Never mind. I'm doing a complete reinstall. I've purged every hint of Parallels from my system. I'll let you know if it works.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 12:15 AM

No prob -- its located in the ~/Documents/Parallels/ folder inside your Virtual Machine's folder. Normally when Parallels has closed properly, just the .pvs and .hdd file will be there. When Parallels is running it creates a temporary .mem file, which is deleted upon successful VM shutdown.

If it doesn't launch, 9 times outta 10 its the mem file.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 12:54 AM

Now it's giving me the same message I had before about drivers. Ya know what? this just isn't worth it. Lemme try Fusion, and see if that's any better.

markponcelet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 01:21 PM

Hey, get this: Parallels just launched itself fine this morning. No error messages, nothing. Just like old times. I didn't reinstall, purge any .mem files, or anything.

Weird, huh?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2007, 07:45 PM

Must have been feeling under the weather and sleeping over the weekend cured it. Or something like that. That is truly weird.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 06:03 AM

What about Leopard and pre-v.3 Parallels?

We have an undergrad here who's getting Leopard from the university for free, but he bought Parallels (I think version 2.5 or so) himself some time ago. He can't afford to buy Parallels version 3 but he would like to use Leopard. Will his older Parallels version still work under Leopard?
•

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 06:47 PM

I get the same error as described earlier in this thread. However, the same install worked fine last night, so go figure. For the moment Parallels appears to be flaky for me.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Word on the street is VMWare Fusion works with Leopard. My copy of Leopard will arrive 30 Oct so I'll let you know for sure then.
It does, I downloaded the RC1 version of fusion and it has been working flawlessly. I'm not sure if I needed to upgrade to 1.1RC1 but I didn't want to a chance

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 05:44 PM

Anyone's version slow? I have 4 GB of RAM, and Parallels with Vista is really slow. Nowhere near my Boot Camp experiences.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
No prob -- its located in the ~/Documents/Parallels/ folder inside your Virtual Machine's folder. Normally when Parallels has closed properly, just the .pvs and .hdd file will be there. When Parallels is running it creates a temporary .mem file, which is deleted upon successful VM shutdown.

If it doesn't launch, 9 times outta 10 its the mem file.
I have no files inside there, any of them, is that an expected behaviour?, obviously I also got that message and Parallels doesn't launch.
Thanks.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2007, 10:49 AM

How was Vista before the upgrade? I wouldn't expect Vista to run anywhere near real hardware speeds being the pig that it is...

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Anyone's version slow? I have 4 GB of RAM, and Parallels with Vista is really slow. Nowhere near my Boot Camp experiences.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 01:00 PM

I can report that Fusion 1.1RC1 works just fine under Leopard. Fusion seems to be about as much of a resource hog as Parallels, though.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 03:51 PM

While Parallels runs XP fine on my MBP 2.4GHz core 2 duo - it no longer lets XP shutdown.
30 seconds after I select shutdown I get the message Parallels tools has hung then the session returns to XP with the shutdown cancelled. Subsequent requests to shutdown are ignored. I have to STOP the session via Parallels's top menu.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
I can report that Fusion 1.1RC1 works just fine under Leopard. Fusion seems to be about as much of a resource hog as Parallels, though.
Do you get sound still only from the internal speaker?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 05:00 PM

Parallels is working as good as it did under Tiger here. I did a Archive and install when I upgraded to Leopard, when I tried to launch Parallels I got the error saying I needed to reinstall Parallels, so I did and Parallels was up and running normally.

A few weeks before I did a archive and install when I needed to reinstall Tiger, I got the same error and did a reinstall of Parallels and it was working again.
Signature depreciated.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
Do you get sound still only from the internal speaker?
Nope. I get sound from my Creatures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules