Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How is mobile me functionality now?

How is mobile me functionality now?
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2008, 12:33 PM

Thinking about getting an iPhone maybe today. Push technology per se does not concern me, as I'm never in a situation where getting an email at 1pm VS 125pm is going to make any difference.

However I am interested in the seamlessness that supposedly comes with mobile me. I want to be able to update things over the web, and have them update on the phone accordingly and vice versa. I am also interested in a new, permanent personal email address that is not free from a site like yahoo or google.

I currently have an swbell.net account. It functions flawlessly, my only problem is that it is tied to my parents internet bill (from when I used to live at home) and in the event they ever decide they dont want the net (very likely), im screwed. I have comcast myself, which comes with email, but they suck.

So, would mobile me be worth it?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 12:44 PM

I have had very few problems with mobile me. If you've got an iPhone it makes everything easy. My wife is about as un-geeky as can be, she loves that she can just make a change on her iPhone, then it automatically syncs to her laptop.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2008, 02:29 PM

MobileMe has been nearly flawless for me, especially in the last few weeks since they've worked the bugs out.

My wife also loves MobileMe... I used to purchase yearly hosted Exchange solutions for her.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

mikemako
Senior User
Sep 2, 2008, 09:58 PM

Mobile Me has been working perfectly for me so far. When I update my iPhone's address book or calendar, it shows up on my computer within a minute. I especially like that reminders I set in the calendar of my iPhone are also carried over to become reminders on my computer!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2008, 03:23 AM

The webmail client frequently reloads spontaneously in Firefox on Windows, which is annoying. Other than that it's okay.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2008, 03:53 AM

Calendar syncing is a bit hit and miss though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules