Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 333 vs. iMac 350

iMac 333 vs. iMac 350
Tracy
Oct 24, 1999, 11:06 PM

I had a chance to use my Mom's iMac 333 today and was impressed, although she only has 32 MB of RAM, and I kept running out of memory. I ordered an iMac 350 on the 13th and keep hearing it is going to be awhile before it is available. Is the 350 that much better than the 333 with RAM added, if I'm not interested in 3D games or stereo sound, more with function? Opinions would be great - although I wouldn't even be thinking of switching if Apple could even give a rough estimate on when the 350 would be shipping!

------------------

Wetsponge
Oct 25, 1999, 12:21 PM

speed wise i don't believe you'll see a huge difference, but there are other small things that add up.

1. better graphic performace, a rage 128 on an AGP bus is much better than the rage pro currently in the 333 iMac (rev D)
2. slot loading cdrom, not really a benifit or drawback, but much cooler IMHO
3. no fan cooling, quieter, nicer, sweeter, tastier
4. better sound system, with support for iSub
5. dual usb busses, twice the amount of usb devices on one machine.

That's a general run down, there's probably a lot i'm missing, but i'm sure someone will come down on me hard for missing it

Tracy
Oct 25, 1999, 02:51 PM

I talked to the reseller I ordered my iMac 350 from and he thinks it is worth waiting for. The 333 models aren't really available anymore, anyway, he said, except for those who had them in stock before the switch. He thought I got my order in fairly quickly and said worst-case scenario was right after Christmas, but I hope that isn't the case! The bad thing is I can't even get my money back and get something else- from the time they were introduced, I wanted an iMac and didn't even look at something else. I just don't want to wait a month, and them hear sorry, it'll be another month or two!! I know - I'm pathetic - I'm worse than a little kid waiting for Santa Clause!!

davi
Oct 27, 1999, 09:36 AM

Don't forget that the 350 and 400 models have removed a significant performance bottleneck from the 333: the system bus has increased from 66MHz to 100MHz. I don't know to what extent it improves performace, but it's gotta be good!

buttfish
Oct 27, 1999, 11:44 AM

my advice to anyone considering purchase of a
new model imac:
wait a few weeks until apple releases a newer
model & you'll be able to purchase the now-
obsolete one at a substantial discount

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 01:37 PM

It will be a good number of months before Apple introduces a new iMac model... for those bargain hunters, most CompUSA locations appear to have a good stock of the older 333s for $799-$999 with extras.

------------------
Misha Sakellaropoulo
Senior Editor, MacNN
iMac2Day, iBook2Day

buttfish
Oct 28, 1999, 01:59 PM

ya think?
so far this year alone current imac models have been: 233 rev b, 266 rev c, 333 rev d, and now the recent models (and the year ain't even over yet- at this rate there should be new versions before xmas)..
my point was that unless you're the type that camps out in line for star wars movies, wait and save your ducats because your computer will be available real cheap real soon..

buttfish
Oct 28, 1999, 02:05 PM

ya think?
so far this year alone current imac models have been: 233 rev b, 266 rev c, 333 rev d, and now the recent models (and the year ain't even over yet- at this rate there should be new versions before xmas)..
my point was that unless you're the type that camps out in line for star wars movies, wait and save your ducats because your computer will be available real cheap real soon..

Forum Links
Forum Rules