Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Message Boards

Message Boards
el MacGato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2001, 03:52 AM

I need a good E-Z Message Board to run on a MacOSX Server.... any suggestions???

Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2001, 05:46 AM

Check out either ikonboard or yabb - with ikonboard being the easier of the two to set up. Both are cgi based and free!

-s'fit

el MacGato  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 06:04 AM

Thanks... I'll check it out

havannas
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2001, 10:06 AM

If you have php running there's also:

http://www.phpbb.com/

markbbb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2001, 09:51 PM

Yeah, the PHP version is much smoother and faster. The CGI version is slow and the search script sucks, bad!

killboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 04:24 AM

do any of you guys have experience getting phpbb running ??

i need to get it running for my site.

i have php on the server and have run phpnuke as a content management system .

i downloaded phpbb about 2 days ago and still haven't gotten around to getting it going .

i would sure appreciate a walk through from a fellow mac user trying to get this going on a remote server.

thanks

k

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2001, 08:36 AM

Without a doubt, the easiest one to set up is the old standby, WWWBoard. However, this one has some severe issues, including the fact that occasionally clicking on one message will send you to another (on the first messageboard I ever used, we called this "teleporting.") It also hasn't been updated in a long time; the last version I saw still had Y2K issues. Cosmetic ones, to be sure, but it had them.

UBB is pretty easy to set up and use. It has severe performance and scalability issues, though, as this server unfortunately demonstrates.

I don't have much experience with phpBB, but you might want to check out their own support forums. They're a nice bunch, and should be willing to help you out.

As it stands, I'm thinking of writing my own simple board script. Nothing terribly fancy, but the threading model I want to use just isn't out there in any of the scripts I've seen (not that are available for download, anyway; AListApart has something very similar but it's not downloadable, nor is it in a language I know).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2001, 08:43 AM

The best version of a BB I have come across by a long way is yabb, which I use on my site:

http://www.gpig.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi It's totally open source, incredibly powerful and has a good user support base which can be found at:

http://yabb.xnull.com
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2001, 09:17 PM

If you're not afraid to install MySQL, I'd suggest XMB. It uses PHP and MySQL, it's very fast and clean. It also has some nice features (themes being one very cool one). The PHP scripts are also very easy to hack if you don't like the original page layouts. Good luck.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 07:52 AM

I can also recommend Phorum - also very easy to config.

Peter

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 10:04 AM

If you are a Zopista Zope.org you can use ZUBB. With Zope's built in security, salability and general awesomeness it brings discussions to a new level.

Embermage
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 12:19 PM

I'd say Ikonboard is the best out there. I've used UBB (places like this), and I had phpBB installed a while ago. Ikonboard seems to have the most features, and Ikonboard 3 is almost too easy to install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules