Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iDisk on the desktop...Home directory on iPod?

iDisk on the desktop...Home directory on iPod?
graveguy
Oct 23, 2003, 03:33 PM

In Panther, If you turn on local iDisk syncing, your iDisk mounts on your desktop...I don't want to see it there, so I go to Finder Prefs and uncheck 'Connected Servers' in the 'Show these on the desktop:' area...the iDisk icon remains...but when I check, 'CDs, DVDs and iPods' the iDisk icon disappears from my desktop...

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I wondered if it might be a vestige of the 'Home directory on iPod' that was mentioned (and later pulled) as a new feature in Panther...Kind of a long shot, but it is odd behavior...

???

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 11:13 PM

Hey,

Yeah, I've got an unwanted iDisk sitting on my desktop as well. LIke you saidk, unchecking CD's, DVD's, and iPods in the Finder prefs gets rid of it, but I want those things on the desktop, just not my idisk! Is this the penalty I must pay for having an autosyncing idisk? Isn't the point of the autosyncing idisk so you never actually deal with the real idisk yourself? Hrmm.

On an unreleated not, typing this up in Safari was incredibly slow and painful - the first thing I've seen in panther that is slow. anyone got a suggestion for that? Thanks!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 06:07 PM

I have the iDisk on the desktop...mounted in the finder. I am not using the iDisk, so I would like to get rid of the whole thing...

Ant ideas on how to do this...?
There is also a process called Mirror agent running in my activity monitor...does this have anything to do with the idisk...?

So...get the idisk off...I have tried to unmount it...does not work....
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

OpenStep
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 07:14 PM

Try this... go into prefs, ->.mac, ->idisk and uncheck create a local copy of my idisk.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 01:30 AM

One more thing you could opt to do, if you have something like SuperGetInfo, just drop the iDisk onto SuperGetInfo and then place a check in the box to make it invisible.

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 04:29 AM

thanks both ...
I went into prefs and did it.
Did not have a clue that it was there...

All is well now.

Anyone know what the "mirror agent" process is in the activity monitor? has the same icon as the idisk....
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Cory Bauer:
Hey,
On an unreleated not, typing this up in Safari was incredibly slow and painful - the first thing I've seen in panther that is slow. anyone got a suggestion for that? Thanks!
Typing lessons?

1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by jamez bond:
thanks both ...
I went into prefs and did it.
Did not have a clue that it was there...

All is well now.

Anyone know what the "mirror agent" process is in the activity monitor? has the same icon as the idisk....
It controls the actual uploads to the iDisk instead of letting the Finder do it. It also creates the local copy of the iDisk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules