Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > IBook Problem

IBook Problem
amac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 11:24 AM

My daughter received a used IBOOK (600) with Panther installed. I was updating the system files thru the software update panel. All programs downloaded fine and the system was finishing insatalltion for MACOS Combo update. Well I accidentally shut the machine down. Tried to turn the system on and all I get after login is a message that says "Restart machine ....." did it, but the same thing happens over and over. Help
( Last edited by amac; Aug 21, 2004 at 11:30 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2004, 11:38 AM

Sounds like you'll have to reinstall the OS.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by amac:
My daughter received a used IBOOK (600) with Panther installed. I was updating the system files thru the software update panel. All programs downloaded fine and the system was finishing insatalltion for MACOS Combo update. Well I accidentally shut the machine down. Tried to turn the system on and all I get after login is a message that says "Restart machine ....." did it, but the same thing happens over and over. Help

Restart holding the shift key!

amac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 10:53 PM

Did restart holding the shift and it worked. During startup I noticed it said 'soft boot', what is that? Thanks.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by amac:
Did restart holding the shift and it worked. During startup I noticed it said 'soft boot', what is that? Thanks.
Starting up in Safe Mode

During some troubleshooting procedures, you may need to start up in Safe Mode (also called a Safe Boot). In Safe Mode, only required items in the Startup Items and Extensions folders are loaded.

Note: This procedure requires you to turn off your computer. You may want to print this page for reference.

Shut down the computer.
Press the Power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Release the Shift key when the spinning progress indicator appears below the gray apple on the screen.

Some features or applications may not work in Safe Mode, and startup may take longer than usual. You should only use Safe Mode if you need to troubleshoot a problem starting up your computer.

To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally.

amac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Starting up in Safe Mode

During some troubleshooting procedures, you may need to start up in Safe Mode (also called a Safe Boot). In Safe Mode, only required items in the Startup Items and Extensions folders are loaded.

Note: This procedure requires you to turn off your computer. You may want to print this page for reference.

Shut down the computer.
Press the Power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Release the Shift key when the spinning progress indicator appears below the gray apple on the screen.

Some features or applications may not work in Safe Mode, and startup may take longer than usual. You should only use Safe Mode if you need to troubleshoot a problem starting up your computer.

To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally.

Thank You for your help and info. Much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules