Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you think is the worst movie ever?

What do you think is the worst movie ever? (Page 4)
hayesk
Sep 1, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Have you done personal research to prove they are lies or do you just want it to be a lie?
I believe he views the film as "Hey! No fair, he only showed things that make a point that I don't agree with. I think I'll brand him a liar".

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 1, 2004, 10:41 AM

If you want to learn something about bad movies check out the reviews on Amazon (this is what they have to say about Akira Kurosawa`s The Seven Samurai):

"This movie seems to be a scene-by-scene copy of one of my favorite movies-"Magnificent Seven". Magnificent seven is a classic movie that has been copied many times, but I didn't know westerns were popular enough in japan to be copied. Not a bad copy but doesn't hold a candle to the original!"

even better:

"no special effects at all. This movie could learn some tricks from the recent movie "The haunting"."
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
If you want to learn something about bad movies check out the reviews on Amazon (this is what they have to say about Akira Kurosawa`s The Seven Samurai):

"This movie seems to be a scene-by-scene copy of one of my favorite movies-"Magnificent Seven". Magnificent seven is a classic movie that has been copied many times, but I didn't know westerns were popular enough in japan to be copied. Not a bad copy but doesn't hold a candle to the original!"

even better:

"no special effects at all. This movie could learn some tricks from the recent movie "The haunting"."
Sarcasm? If not, that's sad. Funny, but sad.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 1, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Sarcasm? If not, that's sad. Funny, but sad.
I don`t know.
You can check it out for yourself: take any "classic" movie and have a look at the lowest ratings. You`ll find similar statements crop up all over the place.
Yes - there are a lot of dumb people out there.
Hence my new sig.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

realitybath
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 12:14 PM

any movie with nicholas cage in it.
he even outstinks supershortystinker cruise.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 12:41 AM

Ok i just saw Battlefield earth. Really bad but I have seen worse. It wasn't THAT bad until cavemen sit in a 1000 year old flight simulator for a couple days then kick alien ass flying around in 1000 year old jets.

Travola should never be allowed to work again after this.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by realitybath:
any movie with nicholas cage in it that doesn't have the title "Raising Arizona"
Fixed�

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 12:49 PM

Why the hell are you people still arguing? It's TROLL 2 G*D DAMN IT!@$@!!

Solomon Grundy
Oct 15, 2004, 01:10 PM

Metalstorm 3D

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 15, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Why the hell are you people still arguing? It's TROLL 2 G*D DAMN IT!@$@!!
Alright, shaddap already.

Oh, for the record I thought Battlefield was 10x better then Catwoman.

"Hello, what have we here?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I don`t know.
You can check it out for yourself: take any "classic" movie and have a look at the lowest ratings. You`ll find similar statements crop up all over the place.
Yes - there are a lot of dumb people out there.
Hence my new sig.
Look it up for classic books, and you'll find more gems. For example, this review of 1984:

While cultural pundits try to convince you that some literature is better than other literature, the truth is that all art is relative to individial tastes. Thus, it doesn't make any sense to think that a novel like this one is really any better than say, Michael Crichton or Stephen King. Aesthetic standards can't be grounded.

Thus, don't listen to anyone who tries to distinguish between "serious" works of literature like this one and allegedly "lesser" novels. The distinction is entirely illusory, because no novels are "better" than any others, and the concept of a "great novel" is an intellectual hoax. This book isn't as good as Harry Potter in MY opinion, and no one can refute me. Tastes are relative!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hayesk
Oct 15, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Look it up for classic books, and you'll find more gems. For example, this review of 1984:

He's half right. I like Harry Potter better than 1984.

Seriously, if the writer (or director or whatever), knows the subject matter, put a lot of effort into things, showed he had skill in writing, directing,, etc., etc. that still doesn't mean you have like a movie or book more than another.

I didn't like 1984, I would rather see the guy succeed in the end. Not because I like happy endings, but because I would like to see the character expose flaws in the system - do something unique that the rest of society couldn't figure out how to do. By giving up in the end, it just showed he was like everyone else. Why make him a main character if he was just like everyone else?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 15, 2004, 03:56 PM

I just bought THX 1138 and I hated it. Pointless.

"Hello, what have we here?

dcolton
Banned
Oct 15, 2004, 04:02 PM

The Stuff

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 04:25 PM

There are too many "worst movies ever" for me to list here, so I'll list one of the worst in recent memory that had a lot of "potential".

Cast Away

It just made me sick how the movie was used as a tool to promote Fed Ex and sell more Wilson balls. A total sell out. I haven't been so disgusted with a movie in a long time.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 05:22 PM

Peggy-Sue Got Married w/ Nicholas Cage. It has to be seen to be believed.

Sweet Dreams. The story of Patsy Cline.

You can't believe how bad these two movies are.
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 12:28 AM

Can't believe that nobody has yet mentioned the cinematic pile of tripe called:

Zardoz.

I mean, really, I tried watching it on video once and actually shut the damn thing off and stuck it back on the shelf. And this was back in college when I was working in the media center and all we DID was watch movies in the video room.

It's Sean Connery's very own "Barbarella."
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 12:41 AM

Here's my list:
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon
Mr. Bean
Baby Geniuses
Starship Troopers
That Will Smith movie set in the west
In fact, just about any Will Smith movie
Any movie mentioning "Sean" and "Penn" as an actor
Any movie with the words "3D" or "from space"
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon

That movie sucked so ****ing bad. Think of all the candy gumballs I could have gotten if I didn't waste $6.75 on that flaming bag of ****.

Here's the plot of Armageddon:

"Yep, let's drill a hole in a big ol' ****ing asteroid. Not just any hole�an 800 ft hole! [Bum Bum baaaa!] So here's what we do: take a drill that can make an 85 foot hole, then drill 800 feet. It'll work! Trust me! Then fill it with nuclear material and set the timer! Instead of one big ol asteroid, we will have effectively created hundreds of millions of large rocks that will be like raining fire from hell. Before the timer goes off, leave a guy on the asteroid for no reason but to add faux drama. Then while in reentry, we'll pray to God that the rocks can't catch up to us and rip a hole in our ship. If we're ok, we'll play Raining Blood and drink beer til we go home and wait for geological fireworks. It'll be just like the ending of the 'almost as equally bad movie that has one good scene in it where the aliens make ships with Mac compatible ports' Independence Day! And then play some violin music and have some hawt sex in the end with 3 Swedish Juggies."

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
The all time worst movies with the biggest lies and deception is FarenLIES 911

It is the all time worst movie on the planet of the earth.

It is scum, and the director is the stinks, and is brain dead.
Don't think it was so much a bad movie as too many people took it seriously. As if it was speaking the truth.

The guy told a slanted make believe story to fit his point of view. And it was well done in the way he did it.

But it should not be taken seriously.

Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Here's my list:
Armageddon
I definitely agree. The story was horrid as hell. The flag waving in it was also over the top.

BUT, Mission to Mars was worse on a different level. The science in it was so so bad even someone in kindergarden would know something was wrong. I mean the guy lives on Mars in a tent with a couple plants in it for a year. Worst of all the tent was flapping in the wind. The crying alien in the end was also a joke.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Don't think it was so much a bad movie as too many people took it seriously. As if it was speaking the truth.

The guy told a slanted make believe story to fit his point of view. And it was well done in the way he did it.

But it should not be taken seriously.
Truth is always something to joke about eh.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 07:33 AM

I can tell by the movies listed that very few of you are over 25.

Manos - Hands of Fate
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Atoll K
F 9-11
Galaxy of Terror
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Terror of Tiny Town

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 07:38 AM

Yeah, but Ed Wood was great and makes you rethink such stinkers as Plan 9.

One I just thought of, Highlander 2. Really bad. Superman: Quest for peace was bas as was the one with Richard Pryor. Another 48 hours was horrible and I was forced to watch Stepford Wives on a recent lufthansa flight and it was more painful than a trip to the dentist.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Here's my list:
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon
Mr. Bean
Baby Geniuses
Starship Troopers
That Will Smith movie set in the west
In fact, just about any Will Smith movie
Any movie mentioning "Sean" and "Penn" as an actor
Any movie with the words "3D" or "from space"
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon
Armageddon is RIGHT up there with Independence Day.

Color of Night, though, was the only movie I've ever rented that I didn't even finish watching. The most exciting thing about that movie was the media hoopla about Willis's dick being visible for all of half a second in the pool scene.

Starship Troopers, however, is one of my favorites. Great satire, while a brilliant spoof on flag-waving B-Movies. Most of the truly clich� lines are quotes from other movies.

-s*

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Starship Troopers, however, is one of my favorites. Great satire, while a brilliant spoof on flag-waving B-Movies. Most of the truly clich� lines are quotes from other movies.

-s*
Ditto, loved it.

There are really soo many awful films out there, but my gf made me sit through Love Actually a few weeks ago, and I'm still pissed about it-she's officially lost her movie picking privileges for a while.

Oh and add Pretty Woman to the list-overhyped garbage!

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 09:50 AM

I don't know if it has been mentioned (can't be bothered to read all the way thru the thread - sorry about that), but Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer is really bad...

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by vexborg:
I don't know if it has been mentioned (can't be bothered to read all the way thru the thread - sorry about that), but Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer is really bad...
I saw this movie a few months back and compared to other movies in this genre, it was really, really terrible...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 06:43 PM

I recently saw The Forgotten and it now ranks up there on my list of worst movies ever made. Horrible horrible plot, and incredibly stupid logic in the film at certain parts.

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I recently saw The Forgotten and it now ranks up there on my list of worst movies ever made. Horrible horrible plot, and incredibly stupid logic in the film at certain parts.
I liked it.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 07:17 PM

Couldn't agree more with you! I can easily give this movie the worst movie of the year award! What a complete waste of Julianne Moore's talent as an actress!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 07:21 PM

There should be a "What do you think is the best movie ever?" thread...

Too many people around here like to focus on the negative...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Couldn't agree more with you! I can easily give this movie the worst movie of the year award! What a complete waste of Julianne Moore's talent as an actress!

Noah
Some of the worst parts are when she first hypothesizes that it's aliens (the logic she strings together is horrible), and the part where the clouds form into a ufo for a few seconds early in the film. They might as well have just had a voice over yelling: "IT'S ALIENS!!" Ugh. Thankfully my friend and I were only two of four people in the theatre so we didn't have to take the film seriously.

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
There should be a "What do you think is the best movie ever?" thread...

Too many people around here like to focus on the negative...

Noah
There are lots.

hayesk
Oct 21, 2004, 10:17 AM

Some of the worst parts are when she first hypothesizes that it's aliens (the logic she strings together is horrible), and the part where the clouds form into a ufo for a few seconds early in the film. They might as well have just had a voice over yelling: "IT'S ALIENS!!" Ugh. Thankfully my friend and I were only two of four people in the theatre so we didn't have to take the film seriously.
Gee, well I guess I can cross that movie off my list. Thanks for the spoiler!

But then again, if that's true, it sounds like the movie sucks. Thanks for the spoiler!

hart
Senior User
Oct 21, 2004, 01:16 PM

this was a goody. We used to joke about it a couple of decades ago. I didn't realize it had such a cast of thousands.

Clash of the Titans

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082186/

there is a whole category which is excruciatingly painful, the Disney "2" movies. They are amazingly poorly drawn and scripted and clearly trying to exploit the franchise for a few extra bucks. And yet my kids at least are always clamoring to rent them. So bad they're not even fun bad.

ex) Cinderella II: Dreams Come True http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291082/

I feel low even mentioning them.
( Last edited by hart; Oct 21, 2004 at 01:29 PM. )

Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by hart:
this was a goody. We used to joke about it a couple of decades ago. I didn't realize it had such a cast of thousands.

Clash of the Titans

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082186/
When I watched that as a kid it rocked! I still think it is really well done.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 01:39 PM

Carnosaur 1, 2. and yes, 3.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
When I watched that as a kid it rocked! I still think it is really well done.
Kids today- no respect for Harryhausen's animation. I loved that film as a kid as well. I loved all those films- the Sinbad one where he fights the skeletons or Jason and the Argonauts. Obviously the stop action style is dated now, butback in the day it was pretty damn cool.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Gee, well I guess I can cross that movie off my list. Thanks for the spoiler!

But then again, if that's true, it sounds like the movie sucks. Thanks for the spoiler!
Save yourself the money for something better. That film really and utterly truly sucked. The climax was unintentionally funny and really dumb.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Toutgood:
Kids today- no respect for Harryhausen's animation. I loved that film as a kid as well. I loved all those films- the Sinbad one where he fights the skeletons or Jason and the Argonauts. Obviously the stop action style is dated now, butback in the day it was pretty damn cool.
Did he do work on "Mysterious Island," the film that had that sweet giant crab? My friends and I loved that as kids!

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2004, 12:53 AM

Lotta the movies listed were merely 'not good' and not REALLY BAD. Some of the actual good movies that were mentioned: Boondock Saints, Dark City (in passing), KFM, Spiderman and Ocean's Eleven. O11 borrowed from guy ritchie a bunch, but it was still a classy movie. Way better than the original. Oh yeah, and all the Jackie Chan movies from when he started directing and until he started doing hollywood movies (with exceptions for the rush hour/shanghi series).

Worst movie I can think of at the moment? I'll have to go with Star Wars Episode I. What makes a movie suck (imo) is when it's not internally consistent. I can deal with it if it's cheesy, if the effects are bad or if the story's a bit weak, but when the movie can't even make a world (cheesy/bad effects/pointless or not) that holds together what's the point. no suspension of disbelief.

~BS

Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:

Worst movie I can think of at the moment? I'll have to go with Star Wars Episode I. What makes a movie suck (imo) is when it's not internally consistent. I can deal with it if it's cheesy, if the effects are bad or if the story's a bit weak, but when the movie can't even make a world (cheesy/bad effects/pointless or not) that holds together what's the point. no suspension of disbelief.

~BS
I agree, it is in my top 5 bad movies of all time.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by mac-kerouac:
Peggy-Sue Got Married w/ Nicholas Cage. It has to be seen to be believed.

Sweet Dreams. The story of Patsy Cline.

You can't believe how bad these two movies are.
Trust me - I can!

An Alias
Forum Regular
Location: NOT in The People's Theocratic Republic of Homophobia
Oct 22, 2004, 06:54 AM

Wishmaster 1-(however many they made).

Awful, just awful, but I strangely found myself watching them all.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2004, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Walker:
Leonard Part 6 (this was released back in 1987 for you youngsters around here). Bill Cosby was the star of this movie and even he advised people not to watch it because it was so bad.

lw
I was he'd told me before I rented it.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2004, 08:19 AM

!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Feb 12, 2017 at 01:23 PM. )

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Carnosaur 1, 2. and yes, 3.

Maury
I never could imagine someone actually watching just one of them - you've seen them ALL?????

Oh, and I have to add one more movie to my previously posted Armageddon...

Hudson Hawk!!!

(and this has nothing to do with Bruce Willis)

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by vexborg:
That makes me think of Nanni Moretti's Caro Diaro, where he goes and sees it and comes out super depressed. It's exactly how I fealt.

Friday the 13th, Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan - me and my buddies all went and saw this at Time Square, and were sooo psyched. Just imagine: Jason on a rampage in the streets of NY - awesome no?

Well Jason's in NY for about 10 minutes at the end. The rest of the film takes place on a frigging boat. Most disappointing film EVAR!

saltines17
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 09:16 AM

"Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter"

Nothing to say except... wow.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Toutgood:

Friday the 13th, Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan - me and my buddies all went and saw this at Time Square, and were sooo psyched. Just imagine: Jason on a rampage in the streets of NY - awesome no?

Well Jason's in NY for about 10 minutes at the end. The rest of the film takes place on a frigging boat. Most disappointing film EVAR!
I still get crap from a friend about dragging him to that, like fourteen years after. I guess deservedly so.

Crow 2
Batman and Robin
any Steven Seagal affair

DRM

Forum Links
Forum Rules