Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ink's pretty crap, isn't it?

ink's pretty crap, isn't it?
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 01:57 PM

i know this is pretty late in the day, but i havenae had a graphics tablet plugged into my comp since the advent of panther:

i was quite looking forward to the possibilities opened up by "ink's" supposed handwriting recognition capabilities, but it seems to be even more dyslexic than the infamous newton handwriting recognition was and, with no apparent way to train it so that it gets any better - pretty pointless.

...or is it just my terrible handwriting? - has anyone else had any joy with "ink"?

in the finest traditions of showing how crap babelfish is by pasting in a block of text, translating it into another language and then translating that back into english, i'll write the above paragraph again using my graphics tablet and "ink's" mind boggling handwriting recognition:

Ikwow THIS IS PRETTY LATE a THE DAY BUT / HAVENAE HAD A GRAPHICS TABLET EV99ED INTO my COMP SINCE � ADVENT Of PAN/HER: J WAS QUITE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE POSSIBILITIES OPENED UP BY �NK'S" SUPPOSED HANDNRITIN9 &0CO9N1IoN CAPABILITIES, BUTIT SEEMS To BE EVEN More DYSLEXIC THAN 1# INFAMOUS $ NEWTON HANDWRITING RecogNITION WAS AND WITH No APPMENT WAfTo TRAIN IT SO THAT IT GETS ANY BETHR - PRETTY POINTLESS

OR B IT JUST my TEMIBLE HANDWRITINg ? - HAS ANYONE GSt HAD ANY Joy WITH "INK" ?

[oh the irony! - i compose a post 'dissing' ink and demonstrating how crap it is and it's actually done a fairly decent job this time! honestly this is the first time it's thrown out anything that didn't look like the most impenetrable "L33T SP34|<" ]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2005, 02:34 PM

WELL 1 THSP'S B�LAvh0 YOU HAVE MUCHBETTER HANDWRITING TltAN MOST of US, iDGvEss AND NOs 1 NEVER vsE 11 EAAHER Ars; I FIND THAT d TEND TO WRITE UPHILL Across THE TABLET AND I THINK THAT Brows ITS L1TTzE M1ND. NOT 10 ALOS MENTION THAT 11 SEENS S zzw, EVEN ON MY G5.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 03:29 PM

This message snows peaacHy well Why the fuca / don't use INK J although It's none SHY done worse mm MIS aw fuak it INK S Uxx \ e

Adopt-A-Yankee

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 04:22 PM

good!_ 4LQD To SEE 1Ts' NOT / JUST ME. I find I HJVE P2RTICULR TROUBLE WITH THE LETTEr "Ga WHICH �wQYS RENDERS 252 RORA [ OR EVEN 2 9 , BUT VERY RGRGY 2s 2 �'I _ THQT's �'' for GoQT I ME2N "9" for 902T - No! NOT "9'' _ "9"!!! - "9" for ****INs Gos+!!l

I THOUGHT 1T WAS MEANT % vSE A BUILT-IN Dictionary Of WORDS QNyw&Y? - Sr UHf THE HELL DOES IT PUT NUMBERS ANI percent SIGNS IN THE MIDDLE Of WORDS ? AND IT's zEQLLY DUMB HOW 1T TRYS To DISTINGUISH v BETWEEN Cz. Itacs AND SMALL LETTERS.

saltines17
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 05:58 PM

This thread is hilarious

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 06:27 PM

WHAT Do YOU MEAN "H1<�ioUs''? THIS Is AN INTELLECTUAL DI1 Scussion, CONDUCTED THROU9H TUE MEDIUM Of "INK" IFONLY Mr� #REQDS acHIEVED THIS LEVEL Of LITERACY, MaCNN WOULDN'T B+ THE SAD SHADOW Of ITS Fom� SELF IT B ToDAY!

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 09:42 PM

Eat up Martha .

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 09:50 PM

I remember it working decently when i tried it, but i still don't see the point. Typing is so much faster than writing that it defeats all purpose of trying to use inkwell.

"I start fires!"

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 09:58 PM

The keyboard is quite handy.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
The keyboard is quite handy.
You cant doodle with a keyboard.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 12:43 PM

I remember when ManOfSteal tried to read this thread. Yeah, I remember that.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 12:55 PM

"Madra You are quite good at turning me On ! Oh you probably should ignore that"

If you disable the gestures in Ink you can actually write more clearly. Also don't lie. If you have wide handwriting change that setting. It does wonders. In addition, write one word as if you were writing at a moderate pace. I had trouble using this for a solid two weeks but got the hang of it.

I primarily use my graphics tablet for Painter though

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 01:38 PM

YELL, I'VE 2LREQDY FT HWDWRITIN9 SET TO MAXIMUM W1D#, BUT I� JUST TURNED off GESTURES - To SEE If THAT HELPS _ May BE 1T Does A BIT, BUT How THE FECK Do I MAKE SPACES ANT UNDO Errors 4ND STUFF #8? - NOTTHAT INK MAKES ANY Emors THIS IS EXACTLY AS I WROTE 1T !!/

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 03:32 PM

hm, I posted a reply yeterday on this, but it seems the mods listened to Madra and deleted the thread, and then he started a new one.

Well, nevermind, as I said, Newton did a better job way back in 1996-1997, and after I tried Ink, I stopped using it as it indeed is very disapointing.

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 03:52 PM

YES _ Sorry ABOUT THQT_ I DID SEE Your REPLY, BUT UNfoRTUNQTELy My POST SOMEHOW 90T LOST, so I HAD To START ANEW ONE _ 1 THINK I'M THE ONLY Person 2EfT v HO FINDS F* IDED Of WRITINs & THREW Gm�y WITH "INK" FUNNY!

Sydney Tsai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 04:00 PM

| thtnk Tnk well Ts pretty good. *
hop _fully 4Tyww&& bet 1e
sydtsai

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Sydney Tsai:
| thtnk Tnk well Ts pretty good. *
hop _fully 4Tyww&& bet 1e
I almost want to take out my Graphire tablet, but no, thanks.
Funny thread this way though!

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 10:01 PM

As I said you just need practice, practice, practice! The commas and symbols have to be written with the words. It isn't the newton so you shouldn't be getting your hopes up.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 10:09 PM

HAY GUYS, HOW COME WERE W RIMNG WALL CAPs.?!/ Don't YOU guys know how b print with upPM and Lower -case?

I Used to be better at this. Haven't fried writing with ink fr quite some time. There is a reason they give you the lins I and the dots. Its to h e/p you write straight

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 07:13 AM

My WRITING'S A MIXTURE of UPPER Ms LOWER case LETTERS, FINELY HONED ovxk Decasts of s�3wz1N% 1Ts' Too LATE for ME TOO CHQN9e YAN I WRITE, So WHY CQv� INK BE r TraINED? � VERY "Microsoft" To EXPECT TH1E EVD-Us� To ALTER His/HER WRITING To ACCOMODATE THE WHIMs_ Of THE SOFTWARE

a B C D t f 9 H I J - K L M N 0 P 9 R S T U V W x y 2

) 2 3 4 S 6 7 8 9 0

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
good!_ 4LQD To SEE 1Ts' NOT / JUST ME. I find I HJVE P2RTICULR TROUBLE WITH THE LETTEr "Ga WHICH �wQYS RENDERS 252 RORA [ OR EVEN 2 9 , BUT VERY RGRGY 2s 2 �'I _ THQT's �'' for GoQT I ME2N "9" for 902T - No! NOT "9'' _ "9"!!! - "9" for ****INs Gos+!!l

I THOUGHT 1T WAS MEANT % vSE A BUILT-IN Dictionary Of WORDS QNyw&Y? - Sr UHf THE HELL DOES IT PUT NUMBERS ANI percent SIGNS IN THE MIDDLE Of WORDS ? AND IT's zEQLLY DUMB HOW 1T TRYS To DISTINGUISH v BETWEEN Cz. Itacs AND SMALL LETTERS.
adsfj ay3456b352409 wreiuoiu wr98u opiift-98 346jsdopif-9 wreuh908ywr9 h24598h jklfdb9-8j 2i5u-mq etpiu-9253 9-8u35=-t 32094u hu09t78 wrtg-98240u 3j4hgl;wd90u24ih pu 7823-90uqe-89u-924 v9-8 -2u45-u9 829yojkgsr-03=4 w]rh]-0359g8 9-84y59t8 pjsent-98w734 p9i304 o[piw e4908y 982459-8 -8y4c5-y -932q49-tjwtegu209u4 t90u q45hu92q4t5yt 1983490wq45h-92 49u8 23-9u 2p45

-t

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 02:32 PM

EITHER you've 90T THE WORST HANDWRITINg // THE WORLD - OR You�o CHEQTINS ANI TYPINg IN RANDOM TEXT . I SUSPECT THE LATTER!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 04:32 PM

EITHER you've 90T THE WORST HANDWRITINg // THE WORLD - OR You�o CHEQTINS ANI TYPINg IN RANDOM TEXT . I SUSPECT THE LATTER!
srthlk 872485 kjerughkjd879 huegr978 asg7h238o jlkbsdf796g inasr0987 yina9807sdr jon087a gsrfd80 ou0re7 gouijbna d0r8

-t

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 05:43 PM

OR ARE you Using Microsoft HANDWRITING RE iO9N1TcoN SofTwQR+?

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 06:47 PM

my mom has a tablet and when I used it on her computer, I didn't have any trouble. Only problem was that I don't space evenly enough for it (if I set it so it always put a space where it was supposed to, sometimes it'd put two or even three... on other settings sometimes my spaces weren't big enough).

if it would recognize cursive, it'd be worth it... if only so when I'm drawing or something and want to write a quick IM or something I could switch apps and just write it. printing is far too slow, though, for it to be worthwhile.

Of course, perhaps if I printed as illegibly as most of you guys seem to print, it probably wouldn't be quite so slow..

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 08:52 PM

...but it seems to be even more dyslexic than the infamous newton handwriting recognition was...
Can you guess what dead project Apple pulled ink from?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules