Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Black hole possibly created in lab

Black hole possibly created in lab
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 03:46 PM

Link

This is very interesting if true! According to newscientist.com, these phenomena last 10-23 seconds. I'd be nervous as hell to have a black hole in my lab for half a minute... even if gravity isn't strong at such energies!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 04:10 PM

I want one in my trash bin !

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 04:14 PM

Btw, the "10-23 seconds" seems to be a translation error. It was meant to be 10.0e-23, 10^-23 !

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 04:14 PM

Oh, this sucks.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 04:39 PM

However, even if the ball of plasma is a black hole, it is not thought to pose a threat.
Famous last words.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 04:43 PM

Once you get outside of a black hole's event horizon, the gravity isn't any stronger than it is for a star of that mass. It's only inside the event horizon that you get the super-strong gravity that characterizes these things.

Given that, if they were to create a black hole with a very small mass, then it shouldn't pose much of a real threat, unless it were somehow allowed to take on more mass. It still gives me the creeps, though; I know I wouldn't want to risk dropping one.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Btw, the "10-23 seconds" seems to be a translation error. It was meant to be 10.0e-23, 10^-23 !

-t
Sounds a bit more manageable. Even so, I'm quite torn (no pun intended) about the whole idea. While the scientist in me knows there's virtually no danger whatsoever, the non-scientist in me is very anxiety-ridden about it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 08:36 PM

There are a number of alternate, non-black hole explanations for this; checkout the Slashdot commentary on this story for links to several of them.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 01:09 PM

Science is dangerous!

They might invent a time machine, and then somebody could insert a link to g o a t s e in this thread.

/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

saltines17
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 01:20 PM

ha, I was just joking last week about how I wish I could make one of those

entrox
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 01:54 PM

Even if they create a real black hole, it won't pose any danger to us. These things are created in a particle accelerator and fly around at insane speeds (a few percent of c). By the time a black hole accumulated enough mass to slow down and start mayhem, it would already be far, far away from the solar system.

Chill. There are far more probable doomsday scenarios.. like the universe disappearing in a puff of logic.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 01:58 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

entrox
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Maximilian!

OreoCookie
Mar 18, 2005, 02:10 PM

The black hole evaporates (the less mass it has, the higher the rate of evaporation). To put it in simple words: Hawking radiation makes the whole thing disappear, and the lighter the hole, the less mass there is to hold radiation back.

If you want a more detailed explanation, just ask.

I've read some articles that some suspect soon black holes will be produced at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) in Switzerland.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 02:32 PM

Why does it seem fitting that when they finally find a black hole on Earth, it turns out that it's on Long Island?

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 03:00 PM

I can't wait till black holes are used to revolutionize the vacuum cleaner industry .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

deej5871
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Science is dangerous!

They might invent a time machine, and then somebody could insert a link to g o a t s e in this thread.

Originally posted by saltines17:
ha, I was just joking last week about how I wish I could make one of those
You should have specified black holes in your post, because for a second I thought you meant you wish you could make a "g o a t s e" pic...

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 18, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Once you get outside of a black hole's event horizon, the gravity isn't any stronger than it is for a star of that mass. It's only inside the event horizon that you get the super-strong gravity that characterizes these things.

Given that, if they were to create a black hole with a very small mass, then it shouldn't pose much of a real threat, unless it were somehow allowed to take on more mass. It still gives me the creeps, though; I know I wouldn't want to risk dropping one.
How does one control a black hole? (For those clowns in here that think they can beat me to the punch-line, I stated 'black hole' not black ho- )

What does one feed a black hole? Twinkies? Oh, wait, ho-ho's...

I thought that when one encounters the event horizon of a BH, one would be accelerated beyond the speed of light.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2005, 10:41 PM

Actually, I don't think anyone would want a "tiny black hole" for their trash bin or their floor sweeper. The radiation released as matter is pulled in, even small amounts of matter into a really, really tiny black hole would be pretty harsh. Note that detection of black holes has been for the most part based on detection of the x-rays released. You'd be able to look THROUGH the sofa to see if it was clean underneath!

By the way, wasn't there a conspiracy movie a few years back that centered on building black holes for power? Morgan Freeman was in it...

I like this idea less and less...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

saltines17
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
You should have specified black holes in your post, because for a second I thought you meant you wish you could make a "g o a t s e" pic...
LOL

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 12:26 AM

i wonder if they release nova rays to fry us all.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules