Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Browser woes: Stupid developers require Wintel IE 5.5

Browser woes: Stupid developers require Wintel IE 5.5
tasmamoi
Apr 4, 2006, 03:24 PM

I have two *must-use* web applications that restrict use to IE 5.5 or above, and must be on a Wintel platform.

Other than running under VPC (which is no longer an option on my MacBook Pro), the closest I've come to running these is with Safari, and using the debug menu to set User Agent to IE6.0 Wintel.

Still doesn't work properly. Any ideas for other browsers that do a better job of spoofing IE6.0 Wintel on a mac? Am I dreaming?

Ideally, I'd like to get to a dual-boot environment, or even usable emulation (VPC is so unbelievably slow and worthless IMHO). but dual-boot seems not-ready-for-prime-time right now.

Any help much appreciated!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 04:27 PM

If UA spoofing isn't working, that probably means that it actually requires IE (activex or something).

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2006, 04:47 PM

Have you tried QEMU? It's still emulated, but the speed may be bearable on your MBP.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 04:59 PM

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 05:18 PM

Hows WINE doing? WINE on your mac boox pro would be good enough - although im not too sure how far along the project is,
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

tasmamoi  (op)
Apr 5, 2006, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the replies...I think it's probably active X.

The software applications are total crap, but unfortunately it is the *only* way I can access the information database I need.

As for QEMU, on my powerbook, it made VPC, which was *WAY SLOW*, seem incredibly fast. I'm talking like 45+ minutes just to boot Windoze.

Looks like my best bet for the short term is going to be dual-boot on the MacTel, but as I use the MBP for business daily, I'm a little reluctant to start repartitioning/reformating my hard drive... Guess I better dive in!

thefunkymunky
Apr 5, 2006, 05:32 AM

Try Q. A GUI front end for QEMU. On my MBP Windoze XP boots in under 30 seconds.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 05:41 AM

Or, you could try WINE, and not have to boot Windows at all.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tasmamoi  (op)
Apr 5, 2006, 02:31 PM

[FONT="Impact"]BOOTCAMP! YEA![/FONT]

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 06:01 AM

Try Opera. It supposedly supports Active-X (at least according the the ATT DSL installation technician I talked to recently when I dropped Time-Warner cable broadband). The DSL install requires the use of Active-X and we used Opera on Tiger in order to finish the install/registration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules