Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > New to Video Editing

New to Video Editing
dragonbong
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2002, 05:18 PM

Just wondering if the Canon zr45 is a good camcorder and if it works properly with imovie or fcp3. I'm just intending to do very amateur work with the camera, usual stuff like recording huge events, or just everyday stuff. Will be using an ibook. Also what else should i be looking for besides ccd and optical and digital zoom?

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2002, 09:07 PM

Also what else should i be looking for besides ccd and optical and digital zoom?
Pretty much all of the Canons are supported in iMovie and FCP. I haven't looked for your particular one, but I'd imagine it's covered.

A note: all modern camcorders have ccd's, as well as optical zooms. What you do NOT need is digital zoom. Digital zoom is a feature dreamed up by the manufacturers to reel in people who do their camcorder shopping by zoom length. The magnification factor of a zoom is probably the most overrated feature ever...most of the time you'll find yourself wishing you could be WIDER when you're taping your family opening x-mas presents or the like.
Digital zoom looks terrible, and the natural optical zoom usually will get you as tight as you'd ever need to be.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2002, 02:58 AM

I would avoid the model ZR 20. All the other ones are very nice machines depending on what you want to do. I am a little sweet on Sony's though.

PeteWK

g3_brandon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2002, 04:35 PM

I have a ZR20, and no problems with it. The ZR25 and ZR30 just add photo taking capabilities . These are not good because a digital camcorder should be used for video, the pictures they produce are bad. The best stills I have seen from a camcorder are 1 megapixel. I do agree, digital zoom is worthless.

I would suggest using MiniDV tapes as opposed to Digital 8, the Mini DV yields better audio. In the Canon lineup, either get the base end ZR series, or go to the step up beyond the ZR series (I think this is the Optura Pi)
Brandon
--
Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules