Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac g5 shutting down unexpectedly

imac g5 shutting down unexpectedly
digit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 11:29 PM

I just bought a new imac g5. It works great exept I'm having 1 problem with it. Sometimes the computer will just shut off unexpectedly like someone pulled out the power cord. This has happened a couple times during the night, and once while I was playing a game. I checked to make sure the power cord was in the computer and outlet securly, and it all checked out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by digit
I just bought a new imac g5. It works great exept I'm having 1 problem with it. Sometimes the computer will just shut off unexpectedly like someone pulled out the power cord. This has happened a couple times during the night, and once while I was playing a game. I checked to make sure the power cord was in the computer and outlet securly, and it all checked out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David
Send it back, the iMac G5 is notoriously unreliable. It's probably a duff power supply. You might also want to look at the capacitors on the main board and see if any are bulging and/or leaking.

I apologise for sounding so negative!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

digit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2005, 09:42 AM

Not the answer I was hoping for, but an answer none the less.

Thanks for your help.

digit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2005, 10:14 AM

Is there any way it could be a virus or something?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by digit
Is there any way it could be a virus or something?
There are still no known Mac OS X viruses. If you phone Apple they'll probably tell you to reinstall the OS and jump through hoops but at the end of the day it's a hardware problem. I heavily recommend AppleCare for iMac G5 owners. I learnt the hard way...

PBG4 User
Senior User
Aug 9, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
There are still no known Mac OS X viruses. If you phone Apple they'll probably tell you to reinstall the OS and jump through hoops but at the end of the day it's a hardware problem. I heavily recommend AppleCare for iMac G5 owners. I learnt the hard way...
Yup, I'm going through an iMac G5 meltdown (Rev. A 20") and AppleCare had me do the OS reinstall shuffle as well.

WOPR,

iMac G5s haven't been out for a year yet. You should still be under the factory warranty, right? Still, I bought AppleCare because I'm sure they'll just replace the power supply, then the CPU will go out because I've been clocking 90Celsius temps. on it.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 05:51 PM

I was lucky as I just rejected the machine straight away as soon as I saw the capacitors were bulging when I got it out of the box. Got a full refund and bought a last-of-the line 17" iMac G4 and it's a wonderful machine, I wish I'd bought one straight away.

pen-helm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 04:34 PM

My iMac also turns itself off without warning. Particularly when it's trying to boot up. Any thoughts?

Apollo_Racer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 09:41 AM

We have that problem too. We have an iMac G3 that keeps shutting down so we thought it was the power supply. We took it to a place that happens to be the ONLY Mac service place for about 40 miles. A diagnostic showed that the computer worked fine and that the problems had to be software-related. We got a copy of Norton Utilities for Mac but that didn't do much good. We backed up our data, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled OS X. It still insists on shutting down, particularly in the middle of the night. Is there anything we can do to fix it?

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 12:57 PM

whoops, min does this too...
Turns off after being left alone for a while...

Calling my applecentre tomorrow...its over a year, but I think these have a longer warranty/guarantee in norway...fingers crossed.
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 03:11 PM

There should be some info in the logs... check in the console to see if it says what's going on... my iMac was overheating and would go off without warning. I looked at the logs and it refereed to "critical temperature exceeded for over 30 seconds... shutting down" or something like that. I'm not saying that's what's going on with yours but you might find some useful info in the logs.

I took mine to the apple store and was good to go 48 hour later.

ImpulseResponse

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 04:01 PM

heh, well...
I will go for the extended apple repair program I found earlier...

The capacitors are bulgin and all, sp the mac is packed down and ready to go tomorrow...
luckily I have my powerbook to keep me going until I get the iMac back!

I could start the machine up again and all, but The look of those capacitors did not encourage another startup....
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules