Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dock and Network prefs

Dock and Network prefs
Rex
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 08:45 AM

I'm running 10.1.4 and the Dock and Network Preferences are no longer accessible directly under the apple menu. I have to open System Prefs and then select from there. Anyone noticed this?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2002, 01:20 PM

Do you have Fruit Menu or any other 3rd party "classic Apple menu" apps installed?

Rex  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>Do you have Fruit Menu or any other 3rd party "classic Apple menu" apps installed?</STRONG>
nope

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2002, 01:27 PM

This isn't normal for a 10.1.4 install. Can we see a screenshot? I'm curious.

Rex  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 01:42 PM

<STRONG>This isn't normal for a 10.1.4 install. Can we see a screenshot? I'm curious.</STRONG>
Maybe I wasn't too clear. The menu option has not disappeared, but when I click Applemenu--&gt;Dock--&gt;Dock Preferences...
nothing happens.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2002, 01:47 PM

Ahh, I thought the options had disappeared completely. Hmm... I can't think of why that would happen unless there is some kind of permissions problem. The "System Preferences..." option still opens Sys prefs?

Try going to "/System/Library/PreferencePanes" and double clicking on the Dock and the Network ones. See if you can access them from there.

amac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2002, 01:54 PM

Have the same exact problem, but when I log in to my kids user account, it works fine! Can't figure it out.

Rex  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 01:59 PM

<STRONG>Ahh, I thought the options had disappeared completely. Hmm... I can't think of why that would happen unless there is some kind of permissions problem. The "System Preferences..." option still opens Sys prefs?

Try going to "/System/Library/PreferencePanes" and double clicking on the Dock and the Network ones. See if you can access them from there.</STRONG>
OK, this is getting weird! Any file in "/System/Library/PreferencePanes" opens... Classic environment!
Anyways, if I open System Preferences... from the Apple menu everything works. But I'm still curious...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2002, 02:09 PM

Yeah, Classic probably shouldn't be loading when you click on a preference pane.

Rex, can you confirm that it's OK with another account?

To fix it, try this. See note before doing so. Delete the following 3 files from ~/Library/Preferences:

LSApplications
LSClaimedTypes
LSSchemes

Note: This will wipe all file associations you have made. Sometimes these get corrupt and weird things start happening. Because amac said he is having similar problems but his kids' account works fine, it must be something to do with your own Library.

Rex  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 04:42 PM

<STRONG>Yeah, Classic probably shouldn't be loading when you click on a preference pane.

Rex, can you confirm that it's OK with another account?

To fix it, try this. See note before doing so. Delete the following 3 files from ~/Library/Preferences:

LSApplications
LSClaimedTypes
LSSchemes

Note: This will wipe all file associations you have made. Sometimes these get corrupt and weird things start happening. Because amac said he is having similar problems but his kids' account works fine, it must be something to do with your own Library.</STRONG>

I've done that and didn't work, then I updated prebinding and it worked. I'm not sure what's happened but everything is back to normal, thanx.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Rex ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules