Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone in the UK get theirs delivered today?

Anyone in the UK get theirs delivered today? (Page 2)
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 11:07 AM

I just got a copy in the UK!!!

After ringing around the various PC world's etc to no avail, I was over at Cribbs Causeway (in Bristol) at the shopping centre there. I tried the John Lewis with no luck but spied a PC World right next door.

Wandered in there and asked around but nobody knew anything about Panther. Then I spied two copies of it sitting next to a G5. Bought them both and handed one to my mate who is planning on installing it at the airport on his way to Germany.

Just thought I'd let others know although it is getting a little late on a Sunday for you to do anything about it.

Yes, I too ordered from the Apple Store thinking it would arrive Friday or Saturday....
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:13 AM

Jordan, what are you going to do with the copy being sent from Apple?

I suppose you can return it unopened, they should give you a refund.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 11:46 AM

Parky: How "official" was the comment you got from an Apple sales person? Were they employed by Apple or another retailer but working on an Apple-centric area of a store?

I only ask because I know feel completely duped by the Apple Store UK. The Store (whilst I'm sure did not guarantee) initmated that pre-ordering would mean we would receive delivery in time for the worldwide release:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/...omo_macosx.jpg

If this image does not indicate that pre-ordering means delivery by Friday, I have no idea what does!

Now, don't get me wrong. I have no intention of suing Apple over this - god knows they need all the money they can keep these days. I am, however, completely pissed off with what I, in my opinion, consider to be false claims in advertising. I guess I need to keep badgering Apple until we get an apology for this!

Having read the other posts on this forum, I'm tempted to open a book on what we get first: our Panther delivery or a Software Update to 10.3.1!!

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:55 AM

JimBo, It was an Apple employee working in Micro Anvika, alway wears an Apple shirt, etc.

He has a PowerBook from Apple, he has been on all the training courses etc.

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 12:01 PM

Parky: Cheers for that - so you could say it was an official confirmation of the Apple Store UK delivery debacle. Man that boils my blood!

I mean I don't mind waiting but it's the principle!

I feel a strongly worded letter coming on...

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 12:35 PM

Heres the letter i just sent to Steve Jobs, suggest we all do something similar.
KRO
Ali P

Steve
You really need to do something about the Apple UK marketing guys.
I pre-ordered Panther from the Apple UK store as the website stated that it would be delivered on the 24th.
I took a little time owing on friday pm so i could collect it from the post office in case the had tried to deliver and left a note. But no nothing nor was there on saturday, when i checked online it states that my order shipped on the 21st and if it's not with by the 4th of November i should e-mail Apple.
Frankly this isn't good enough, after checking message boards i see that your US & Canadian customers had a number of shipping options including fed ex (which they can track) which some people were apparently upgraded to free of charge whilst we in the UK are stuck with parcel post which we can't track and has a ten day delivery timeframe.
We didn't even have the option of paying extra for next day delivery, which i would have done as the nearest shop selling Apple products is 45 miles from where i live.
Please do not treat loyal customers in this way again.
I look forward to your response.
Regards
Alistair Potter

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 12:53 PM

Ian, Will send the one I bought today to my brother in Australia. Bought him an iMac early this year so he can upgrade it. The one I bought from Apple is a family licence which I need anyway as I have several Mac's here at home.

Anyway, point is that I ordered it from the Apple Store as I, like others, hoped I would receive it on Friday or at the latest Saturday...

Next time, I will just go out and buy it on the day rather than order from Apple....

Originally posted by Parky:
Jordan, what are you going to do with the copy being sent from Apple?

I suppose you can return it unopened, they should give you a refund.

Ian
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 02:09 PM

AliP: nicely worded email. I've already sent one (see the letter on page 1!) and I know a few other people who have, I shall be interested to see what, if any, reaction we get. The biggest irony will be if we get offered a discount voucher or similar for use at the Apple Store!!!

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 03:38 AM

Following on from my mail to Steve Jobs ihave now written to Apple UK:

Ali P

Dear Sir/Madam
I ordered my copy of Panther on the 9th of October (order number W1014***) from your site under the premise that it would be delivered to me on the evening of the 24th. It is now the early hours of the 27th and still it has not arrived. It was shipped by you on the 21st so i took time off work to be in when it arrived but to no avail.
Your website is still suggesting that Panther could have been pre-ordered for delivery on the evening of the 24th with free shipping.
It is also rather confusing that when i check the shipment order number (8002*****) i find the following.

Your order W10***** (Apple Delivery 8002******) was sent on 21 October 2003 by
Parcel Post and should arrive within 7 days.

If you have not received your product or notification of an attempted delivery
of your product by 4 November 2003, please contact the Apple Store.

Therefore can you tell me when my order will arrive and why unlike in other countries we in the UK could not select alternative delivery methods such as next day delivery.
This is the first and most likely the last time i will order via the UK Apple store as your website contravines trading standards by blatently offering a service it is not delivering on.
I await your response.
Regards
Alistair Potter

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 04:03 AM

Nice one Ali

Heres mine

Date: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:01:21 PM Europe/London
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Where's My Panther?
Attachments: there is 1 attachment

Dear Apple UK

If this image does not indicate that pre-ordering means delivery by Friday then I have no grasp of the English language.

(image from website attached showing Panther Box with "order now for Friday evening delivery" underneath it)

Please explain!

I look forward to hearing the excuses.

Regards
Steve Cresswell

Ref W1008****

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 05:48 AM

Well more bad news!!!

The postman has been to my house today (Monday 27th October) and still no Panther delivery.

I am surprised that Apple did this to it's customers. Why on earth would they want to annoy so many of them in one go.

There must be hundreds if not thousands of people in the UK who ordered Panther from the Apple Store expecting it to be delivered on the 24th October, after all that's what the Apple Store told them.

Instead what they decided to do was disappoint all those people and put them off using the store in future.

In the past I have ordered many things from the Apple Store, but I have now decided not to bother again.

This is a loss to the Apple Store in a number of ways :-

1. The margin they make on Apple Hardware and software is much higher if sold through the Apple Store, i.e. no cut for the dealer / reseller.

2. Apple sell many other manufacturers goods and these will be bought elsewhere, reducing thier turnover and profit.

I certainly will not use them again and here are some reasons why :-

Compaired to other Online Store the service is terrible. If you send them an email you get no acknowledgement, and if you are lucky you might get a reply within 2 or 3 days, usually it takes longer. As a comparison, www.blackstar.co.uk are a DVD/Video retailer, if you mail them with a question / issue they send you an ackonwedgement email which tells you how many emails are in front of you in the queue, and how long it will be before you get a reply. They usually reply within 2 hours, if not quicker.

Apple use Parcel Post (not Parcelforce) for orders between �66 - �199, this is the worst and cheapest available postage service in the UK. Goods cannot be tracked and they have a maximum delivery time of 10 business days (but says that 90% are delivered in 3 business days). On the other hand www.blackstar.co.uk offer free postage and packing on everything they sell, regardless of price, plus they use 1st class post which usually arrives next day. How do they manage to offer free 1st class postage on an item that costs a �5 but Apple can't do it on an item costing �99. It's not as if Panther is very heavy, it's a box, three CD's and a bit of paper.

I have only give one example above of other retailers, but many more offer a better service.

I really do recommend that you do not use the UK Apple Store for any purchases you can make in another way. They are no cheaper, slower and offer a poor level of customer service.

Ian

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 06:37 AM

!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Sep 19, 2017 at 08:00 AM. )

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 06:52 AM

Right, after another Panther-less morning I wrote to apple... probably not the best but it's another voice....

Dear Apple UK,

I'm am emailing to convey my sincere disappointment with the Apple UK service. I have still not received my copy of Panther (it is now Monday 27th October) even when the link on the Apple UK store said "Order now for delivery for evening of 24th". Whilst my order was only placed on the 20th October, I expected my copy to arrive on Friday - especially after reading that Apple has gone to considerable lengths in the US to Fed-Ex Panther to customers to arrive on the 24th.

What have your UK customers done to deserve such shabby treatment? Apple US customers get Fed-Ex and Friday/Saturday delivery, we get Parcel Post - The cheapest, slowest option out there. Indeed, I add that there was no option to pay for a courier service, something I would have happily paid for. If it's a question of cost, then I suggest you speak to www.cdwow.com (who ship �8-9 orders asap from Hong Kong) or Dabs.com, who at least give you a choice of delivery methods...

It is adding insult to injury caused by the lack of iPhoto services (can it really be that difficult?) and most importantly, iTunes Music Store. I note now that iTunes for Windows users in the US can access the store even before mac users in the UK.

In the face of a minority market share, you cannot undermine brilliant products with dire service - please shape up!

Tom Davidson
Web Order Number *********
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 07:12 AM

I have just spent an hour on the phone with the Apple Store, all to no avail.

They flatly refused to let me speak to a supervisor about this, they said that thier procedures did not alow them to talk to anyone about Pather sales support and that they only support Panther sales via email (with a 2 buisness day turnaround)

The supervisor refused to come to the phone as they were in a meetin, this seemed to be more important than dealing with a customer.

Before I called I carefully read the Apple Store terms and conditions, they say the following "You may cancel your Order at any time prior to delivery of the Product ordered by calling us on 0800-039-1010 and quoting your Web Order Number." So I asked to canel the order, and they refused, saying I could not cancel as the order had been shipped. I said the T&C's do not say 'shipped' they say 'delivered', but they still refused to cancel the order.

After a long discussion the Apple Store said they could do nothing for me as a customer, as thier procedures prevented it. My only recourse was to contact them via email.

I then called my local trading standards office, who have looked into the case and say that Apple are legally breaking their own T&C's. They should alow cancellation of an order before it is delivered. The trading standards officer is now going to call Apple and pick up the case for me, they are also refering the case to the Republic of Ireland Trading Standards office as they cover Apple in Ireland.

I suggest that you each try to cancel your order before it is delivered, if they refuse I would contact your local trading standards office and refer them to the Apple Store T&C's.

Apple cannot treat customers like this, it is illegal and immoral.

Ian

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 07:32 AM

Here is the email I have just sent to Apple :-

Dear Apple Store,

I today (27th Oct 2003) contacted the Apple Store to cancel my order (W100XXXX).
I was told that this was not possible as the goods had been shipped.
I pointed out to the operator that under the terms and conditions I was allowed to cancel my order, quoting the following :-

"You may cancel your Order at any time prior to delivery of the Product ordered by calling us on 0800-039-1010 and quoting your Web Order Number"

The operator still refused to cancel my order and would also not allow me to speak to a supervisor.

I then contacted my local Trading Standards Office in Warrington and raised the issue with them.

They have reviewed your T&C's fully and agree with me that I should be able to cancel my order before the goods have been delivered to me.
They have also identified a number of other issues with your T&C's that do not come in line with the 'UK Distance Selling Directive' that covers Internet and Mail Order selling. They will also be investigating these issues.

I therefore request that you can cancel my order under your terms and conditions relating to my order and make a full refund to my credit card as soon as possible. The Trading Standards office will also be contacting you regarding this matter and will be passing the case to the Republic of Ireland Trading Standards Office for further action.

I feel I have given Apple every chance to rectify this problem, having spent over an hour on the telephone with customer service who refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor, refused to cancel my order, and simply said they could do nothing for me.

Your attitude to your customers has been appalling and fails well below the level to be expected.

Ian Parkinson

gnelson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 07:35 AM

It is, obviously, dismal service from any online retailer to ship as badly as this - Amazon would go out of business inside of a month if they abolished 24-hour shipping and replaced it with 10-day shipping, and books are much lower-margin items than lightweight boxes selling at a hundred pounds or so. Apple's only excuse is that Panther was, after all, a shambles right up to the last days of its beta (not really Apple's fault - all software releases of this complexity are bound to be). They really haven't had the Golden Master for long - they must have been pressing discs in a frantic hurry.

With that said, I'm very glad about this delay, because it has forced me to be sensible and watch other people install Panther first: this may have saved my data, because the Golden Master is anything but golden in one key respect.

I have three external Firewire drives containing data which is backed up only on each other. There are numerous reports of Panther destroying data on external drives in a significant number of cases (when a Panther-equipped machine restarts, it sometimes destroys the formatting on any external drive connected). This appears to be not just a major problem - as any data loss bug is, by definition - but also a widespread one: see the forums here, and Apple's forums, and Macintouch. All baffling because external HD support under Jaguar was, so far as I could see, perfect. Why have they meddled with it?

I had intended to be an early adopter, reasoning that Jaguar is mature enough that nothing too awful could happen. But when my Panther box does arrive, I'm going to put it in a cupboard until 10.3.1 appears. In a funny kind of way, I'm grateful to the Apple Store UK for protecting me from my own folly.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 07:38 AM

I would be interested to know how many people have received their copies from the Uk Apple Store.

Ian

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
I would be interested to know how many people have received their copies from the Uk Apple Store.

Ian
I ordered as soon as it was available in the UK store - I received my Shipping notification last Wednesday and have not received Panther yet.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 08:02 AM

I got mine today!!!!

I ordered on the 15th, but didn't receive any e-mails or anything about it, so I phoned up on the 23rd, to be told it was shipped on the 22nd (despite no confirmation of even buying it! Not even on the Apple Store's own records). I think they lost my order and chucked it in the post as soon as poss, frankly. here now though!

Dunno whether to install yet or not (probably will), and don't know whether to archive or upgrade, ideas?

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 08:03 AM

Mine arrived at 12:20 today.

Plus I managed to cut my thumb on the box trying to get it out
( Last edited by sandsl; Oct 27, 2003 at 08:43 AM. )
Luke

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 08:40 AM

Monday 12.40

Still no Panther

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Mine arrived at 12:20 today.

Plus I managed to cut my thumb on the box trying to get it out
That's what you get for running cutting-edge software... <groan>
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:13 AM

13:15 here in West London (Ealing). Still no Panther. This is getting faintly ridiculous.

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 09:25 AM

Offical Response:

"Dear Mr Sands,

Thank you for your email and we apologise for the delay in your delivery. Your order was sent by post from Apple on the 21st October. There has been an overwhelming response to the Panther release, and hence has unfortunately created delays in the postage which has affected thousands of our customers. We did not predict that this would affect the postage the way it has, and we did intend for this to be with you by the date we specified.

We are unable to track goods once they are sent by post, but I would hope that they would be with you by tomorrow.

Once again we sincerely apologise for this delay. If you have any further questions, please contact is at the Apple Store on 0800 039 1010.

Kind Regards

Apple Store Europe
Sales Support Team"
Luke

iDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:36 AM

Hi, I�m new to this forum and quite impressed with the Mac communities as a whole. I've just "switched" as it were and already I�m bemused by apple UK. Being from a FreeBSD UNIX background i could not resist OSX any longer,

I ordered a new iMac 17"-FP 1.25ghz with 1gb DDR ram(ram extends build time). I made the order via telephone to applestore UK Ireland on thursday to ensure i would receive the machine with panther. They could not tell me whether i would receive the machine with panther or not, but ensured me that they would send it free of charge if i didn't.

The quoted delivery for my machine will be, 3-5 days build, 3-5 days delivery(express). So, excluding non business days i SHOULD get the machine this Thursday at the earliest, next Friday at the latest.

A few questions..

Any of you that have ordered hardware such as this from apple, were they more efficient with such deliveries than they have been with panther? I now regret ordering from appleUK after reading forums such as these. Can i expect my machine any time soon? I could have bought from micro Anvika or whatever, in trafford selfridges but its too late now as you cant cancel an order during build.

Additionally, i've heard something about them changing the mouse/keyboard on the new iMac, the machine i played with had the 'soapy' optical mouse which i was quite impressed with. I spend most of my time in tcsh anyway. What mouse will be packed?

If any of you are using the 1.25ghz iMac with panther installed, what is the performance like?

Thanks in advance, At least you people are only waiting for an OS update (appealing as it is) from applestoreUK and not your first �2k mac.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:40 AM

A very poor response from Apple.

Sending so many items by Parcel Post, what did they think would happen.

They knew the demand before they sent the items and should have therefore used a reliable and traceable service.

Apple are now trying tp pass the buck to the Postal Service, instead of admitting they used the wrong service.

They know that only 90% of items sent by Parcel Post reach thier destination within 3 business days. This is quite clearly stated on the UK Post Office web site, on top of that the parcels had to pass throught the Irish Postal Service first adding even more delay.

They knew when they sent Panther out to everyone on the 22nd October that it would in no way reach customers on the 24th.

At best only 90% would receive it on the 3rd business day, that would mean Monday at best, not allowing for the Irish leg of the trip.

I would like to bet that 90% of the orders will actually arrive on Tuesday 28th Oct, with maybe 5% on the 27th and the rest later.

They cannot claim to be overwhemed when most orders would have been placed well in advance of the 24th. It's is interesting that they admit it has affected thousands of their customers, a poor way to treat them all!!!

I have raised this with quite a few Mac magazines who have taken up the news item.

Apple need to be hurt, just like we have been.

Ian

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:44 AM

iDean,

A few points for you :-

The Apple Store are renowned for not meeting their delivery promises, I have had late deliveries from them a number of times.

You can cancel your order under the Apple Store T&C's, they just don't let you, which is against the law. The T&C's say you can cancel anytime before delivery, as you are still in the build stage you can certainly cancel. If they refuse contact your local trading standards office, they will deal with it.

Ian

iDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 10:07 AM

Ian; thanks.

The trouble with cancelling now is that i don't think micro anvika can pack the 1GB DDR ram onspot,

Also I'm not sure, but i don�t think I could claim the student discount from Selfridges? Even if I can, I�d have to go through the hassle of proving my studentship again.

I think ill be patient and give them until next Monday to update the "Being assembled" status before I start threatening them. Good things may come to those who wait, but bad things will come to those who make us wait. AppleUS must be aware by now if so many of you are dissatisfied with Apple Store UK

None of you have any success stories with applestore UK hardware shipments?

Also, if anyone else can answer the other iMac related questions of my previous post it would be greatly appreciated.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 10:12 AM

!!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Sep 19, 2017 at 08:00 AM. )

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 10:30 AM

Royail Mail actually do a courier-like service, it's called Special Delivery. If you're guaranteeing a delivery date, you should choose a service which... guarantees a delivery date.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Royail Mail actually do a courier-like service, it's called Special Delivery. If you're guaranteeing a delivery date, you should choose a service which... guarantees a delivery date.
Unfortunalely Apple UK (get this)doesn't ship from within the UK, great (imagine if Apples USA shipment hub was in Canada). So UK Post Office services (such as the one mentioned) are not available to them.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 01:29 PM

iDean

I ordered my iMac G4 when they were first released. I was quoted 2-3 weeks build, 5 days shipping.

Apple shipped it after 6 working days, which I was v. impressed with. However, they use Kheune & Nagel to ship its from Taiwan. After 7 working days my iMac had only reached the Netherlands. I decided to give Kheune & Nagel a call. The woman in the other end of the phone replied "Do you really think we can get a package all the way from Taiwan to your doorstep in 5 working days?"

I was totally gobsmacked, and complained to her supervisor and the Apple Store. My iMac arrived the next day.

When they shipped me my wireless mouse a few weeks ago, it was sent via Spring, which left my parcel on the doorstep. I live in Elephant & Castle, which is not a particularly nice area of London, and I'm sure that if my flatmate hadn't been going out that morning, it could quite easily of sat there til midday when I went out, or, until it was stolen.

These are only two tales though, and I have ordered items which have arrived very quickly. I would start to go to Micro Anvika, but I can't get the student discount from there. Just wait for your iMac, it'll be worth it when it arrives.

Tom - still waiting for Panther (TNT dont recognise the shipping number that Apple gave me on friday)
What are you looking for? A signature?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 01:35 PM

Tom,

Does your shipment notification actually say your copy has been shipped via TNT?

Mine states that it has been shipped by Parcel Post.

Ian

ChrisMBarrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 02:40 PM

Mine was also shipped in Saturday with TNT Express, after being assured it had been sent on the 23rd by the Apple Store.

Although like others the tracking number supplied by Apple is not recognised by TNT.

At what point is Apple going to remove the graphic claiming delivery by Friday evening?

Does the term rubbing salt into a wound mean any thing to the UK Apple store?

iDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 04:21 PM

perhaps they meant 2004

sja777
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 05:00 PM

Shipped 21st.

It's 9.00pm on 27th; still not arrived.
I have no signature.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 06:01 PM

Mine was delivered today (27th).
Although i am still awaiting my letter of apology from Apple.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 06:36 PM

I also got mine today. The Delivery is still appalling. Amazon UK somehow manage fast delivery (stuff sometimes arriving on Saturday) on there razor thin margins, why not Apple. Maybe it's because Amazon have a UK warehouse where as Apple makes do with one in Ireland, so everything they ship to the UK Ends up being individual international items.

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 07:00 PM

Well I got my copy today so I'm happier now. What I cannot believe though is that there were no special delivery instructions! I came home today to find a brown package on the doorstep in plain sight to the road! Now if this had been nicked (which fortunately given the road we're in would be fairly unlikely) what comeback would I have? Indeed, how would I have known that it had been delivered and that I wasn't still waiting like many of you.

I'm afraid I don't blame the postperson on this one. I ordered an item costing �99 and it is delivered via a service that requires no signature and has no tracking service. This really isn't good enough for a corporation the size of Apple.

Still, at least Panther looks damn fine at the moment � can't wait to find out what bugs are waiting for me!!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Unfortunalely Apple UK (get this)doesn't ship from within the UK, great (imagine if Apples USA shipment hub was in Canada). So UK Post Office services (such as the one mentioned) are not available to them.
Well, my G4 definitely came from Cork via Irish Express Cargo. I'm pretty sure that my copy of Mac OS X 10.0 came from Cork, too, but that arrived in a TNT van.

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 04:56 AM

Tuesday 28th 8:50am. Still no sign of Panther. And what with the postal strike that's affecting this part of London (west), I'm not holding out much hope of seeing it before next week. What really hacks me off is that Computer Warehouse is just down the road - if I hadn't wanted to give the extra money to Apple, I could be running it now. That's the last time I use the Apple store.

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by ninthart:
Tuesday 28th 8:50am. Still no sign of Panther. And what with the postal strike that's affecting this part of London (west), I'm not holding out much hope of seeing it before next week.
Addendum: I've just seen a Post Office Van outside my house delivering something to a house a couple of doors down -- so they are still delivering. Nothing for me though. I'm really, really getting hacked off now.

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 05:39 AM

ARGH! 9.09am, postie's just been: No Panther!!! I don't live in the middle of nowhere, it really can't be that difficult!!!

How did it get delivered to you lucky people who have it? Am I going to get a nice call from a TNT bloke, my invoice says parcel post, so I guess it would come with the post right? Which means I should have it in..ooh....July 2004?

ARGH!! Almost a week of waiting, all wasted! I reckon this is what kicked off Micheal Douglas in "Falling Down"....

neely
Oct 28, 2003, 05:52 AM

Mine arrived at work at about 9 this morning, but I think it took a phone call from the purchasing department who got me my educational discount to dislodge it from Apple UK's sticky mitts.

Still have to wait until tonight before I can install it, though...

EDIT: For those of you who are interested, it was sent out on the 24th and delivered by TNT rather than Parcelfarce.
( Last edited by neely; Oct 28, 2003 at 06:07 AM. )

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 06:18 AM

How many people had their shipping notification on or before the 21st and are still waiting, or is it just me?

Postman came this morning but no black cats in his sack i'm afraid!

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 06:21 AM

You're not alone there in the UK. I pre-ordered a copy of Panther from the AU Apple Store the day it was announced. On the Oct 22 I recieved a shipping notification e-mail. Great, should arrive Friday or Monday I thought. Well it's Tuesday today, I recieved the invoice in the normal mail today yet the actual package, presumably sent via a faster method has still not arrived.

I decided to make some enquiries and gave the Apple Store a call. Turns out the order was completed on the 22nd but was held until yesterday (27th) so that it did not arrive before the US release date. Furthermore since I'm not in the next day delivery zone I did not get it today but will probably get it tomorrow. No less than 7 days after my shipping notice and 4 days after the release date.

Sure you might think, it's only 4 days but I didn't pre-order it because I wanted to wait 4 days after the release I pre-ordered because I wanted it ASAP. Turns out I would have been far better off to go and buy it from an Apple Center on Sat morning and I would have got a free Panther T-shirt as well... You learn from your mistakes.

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Annihialator:
How many people had their shipping notification on or before the 21st and are still waiting, or is it just me?

Postman came this morning but no black cats in his sack i'm afraid!
Mine shipped on 22nd, ParcelPost and I'm still very much waiting....

Phayamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 06:52 AM

Same here and I am in central london . I ordered my Panther upgrade on the 8th October and got my shipping notification on the 22nd. It's outrageous to expect people who ordered Panther in advance so they have the upgrade as soon as it is publicly available to wait up to 10 days for the delivery. It's now Tuesday and there is still no sign of the delivery , If I would have known I'd have gone to a shop myself and buy a copy.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 07:05 AM

No Panther here either.

I ordered on the 8th, received shipping notice on the 21st

This is getting bloody ridiculous!

ninthart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Annihialator:
Ordered mine on the 8th, got the shipping notice on the 22nd, still waiting. Very, very angry now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules