Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Darwin on Umax c500 ??

Darwin on Umax c500 ??
sprite
Jan 22, 2001, 09:52 AM

Will Darwin run on a Umax c500? It has a 603e 200mhz 128mb 4gig hd. It's not that important if it can run x windows ( would be nice ) I just need a machine to run apachie, mysql,, php, and maybe a mail server.

Allah
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2001, 10:54 PM

I don't believe it will. I have an old StarMax 3000 with a 603ev @180Mhz. Try downloading PPCLinux
Carp� Bandwidth

3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2001, 02:13 PM

I've installed darwin on my Powerbook 5300ce (expansion bay hard drive), and although it installed fine, I can't boot from it. System Disk will apparently run only on PCI Bus machines.

I've also heared that Darwin DOES have some support for 603 machines, but I can't seem to find where/how.

I'd be really interested to know how to get it working!

Let's keep digging

-GregM.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2001, 05:23 PM

i couldn't get it to install on my PM7200/90 (601), 64MB ram, 500MBHD, though the installer disc i made worked fine on my g3 350.

try linuxppc. it might be nicer because it has many GUI's built in to the installer, unlike darwin 1.0 which is just command line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules