Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > just got my BTO 15" but it has some defects...

just got my BTO 15" but it has some defects...
e_x_blofeld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 09:01 AM

well today i finally received my bto 15" (1.5, 128, 5400 HD)

now there are the following issues:

- the speakers dont work correctly: if you set the panning completely to the left
the sound only comes from the left speaker, but if it's set to the right, the sound is at the center and also a little bit more towards the left speaker.
I tested it with logic and and the audio midi config tool ( note that also the startup chime is not centered) (i also did the whole zap p-ram, start from different system routine)
so it seems to me there is something wrong with the right speaker and / or the wiring.

- the trackpad is very hard to press compared to my 12" pb, i mean dragging with it is literally "painful" since i have to pres really hard,

- warped screen lid/cover: when the pb is closed there is a 2-4 mm gap at the front left and right corner !

- static noise (as described here before) from under the keyboard when scrolling/mousing in maximum performance setting.

now what are my options?

the speaker thing is definately rendering the machine useless for me since i'm doing a lot of multimedia soundediting/design where correct panning is crucial and i sometimes have to do this without the help of external speakers.

can i insist on getting a new machine ?

i mean i guess they want to take it in for repairs, but i don't want a repair of a brandnew machine !!

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 09:59 AM

I found out last week that my 15" had a panning problem as well. For me this was an easy fix. Open your Applications folder, then go to your Utilities folder. Open a program called Audio MIDI setup. This program controls the settings for your audio card and other devices. At the bottom of the main window there should be two sets of sliders, one for input, the other for output. Make sure that they are both set the same instead of one louder than the other.

My trackpad button isn't very hard to press, however, I also use my PB for video, so I mainly use an external mouse.

I've heard about many other 15" screens being warped. Mine is too, slightly. There is a larger than normal gap (about 2-4mm) on my left and right corners. If you use the keyboard protector that came with your PB, it should help even the gap.

As for a static noise. Not exactly sure what you mean. But on my dual G5, I can hear a faint high pitch noise whenever I move a window around or something which sounds like the processor. I think that is what the sound is. I think it's normal, because as I press my ear closer to my keyboard, I can hear the same thing. It sounds like the processor is doing what it's supposed to do.

It sounds to me like your powerbook is fine. But definietly check out your audio settings and let us know if that fixed the panning problem.

Hope this helps.
I gotta have more cowbell.

James L
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 06:09 PM

The gap when the screen is closed has been on every single aluminum PB, and some tiBooks, that I have ever seen! Two must haves for the PB user in my opinion are:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Noteb...ensavrzPC.aspx

and...

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

The wildeepz pads the gaps so the lid stays nice and tight when closed and doesn't move around. The screensaverz is a great pad to keep in there when the PB is closed, keeps finger oils, etc off of the screen, and can be used easily with a little bit of water for a nice polish on the screen.

Cheers,

James

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2004, 10:18 PM

Yup I know what you mean by the static noise when the energy setting is on the highest. Its irritating- I think its the processor, but it really doesnt matter to me because I usually keep it on auto anyway.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

quadraphonic
Nov 10, 2004, 11:22 PM

The Wildeepz would be a good idea, I just use the sheet that came with my PB though. It does the trick and its free!

Or IT cost $2000+ and came with a free PowerBook.. however you want to look at it.
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by e_x_blofeld:
well today i finally received my bto 15" (1.5, 128, 5400 HD)

now there are the following issues:

- the speakers dont work correctly: if you set the panning completely to the left
the sound only comes from the left speaker, but if it's set to the right, the sound is at the center and also a little bit more towards the left speaker.
I tested it with logic and and the audio midi config tool ( note that also the startup chime is not centered) (i also did the whole zap p-ram, start from different system routine)
so it seems to me there is something wrong with the right speaker and / or the wiring.

- the trackpad is very hard to press compared to my 12" pb, i mean dragging with it is literally "painful" since i have to pres really hard,

- warped screen lid/cover: when the pb is closed there is a 2-4 mm gap at the front left and right corner !

- static noise (as described here before) from under the keyboard when scrolling/mousing in maximum performance setting.

now what are my options?

the speaker thing is definately rendering the machine useless for me since i'm doing a lot of multimedia soundediting/design where correct panning is crucial and i sometimes have to do this without the help of external speakers.

can i insist on getting a new machine ?

i mean i guess they want to take it in for repairs, but i don't want a repair of a brandnew machine !!
e_x_blofeld,

Give Apple a call, the few times that I have problems with my 15 inch alpb, Apple care has been excellent with phone service and repair service as well. The turnaround time for my alpb was startling and one of the problems that I was having was with my track pad.

e_x_blofeld, you have BTO alpb so I am quite sure Apple will be more than willing to help with your problems give them a call�

I would not worry too much about having a new machine that needs a repair. Again, you have a BTO your machine has already been opened and maybe something went wrong in there maybe not, get the kinks out now so that you can enjoy your machine later down the line.

e_x_blofeld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 12:44 PM

called them, and they will send me a new one
they had no problem with it.
nice service !

btw.:
i now about the audio midi control panel, since i work with audio professionally

Fiete5401
Nov 11, 2004, 01:21 PM

nice service !
Will they send a new BTO-machine or just a standard configuration?
Plz tell us how long it took until you were able to get your hands on the new 'Book!

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2004, 02:20 PM

nice service !

btw.:
i now about the audio midi control panel, since i work with audio professionally

Congrats, e_x blofled .... I hope that your new book will be problem free. Fiete5401, I know that we are different parts of the world but when I had to have my book repaired the turnaround was less than 3 days. One day to send, one day for repairs and one day to be sent back....... Hope that helps!

Tedster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

Hey guys, i'm new here, just got a refurb Powerbook 15, 1.67ghz from Apple.
Hey e_x_blofeld, my right speaker is really weak also, so I sent the laptop back to Apple thinking it was bad and they sent me another one and this one does the same thing, the right speaker is weak so I think thats how most Powerbooks are. You're not alone, I've read about others on here also with the same problem. I was worried too at first but its nice to know that I'm not the only one either. I've played with the balance in the system prefs too, and like you said, when I move the balance all the way to the right speaker, i hear sound in the left speaker also, and when i move it to the left speaker, I only hear sound in the left one and when I move it to the middle, the right speaker is way weaker. So I think Apple must have made the right speaker weaker for some dumb reason, probably cuz the power button is there and they didnt have much room for stuff... what do you guys think? I've tried headphones and the sound and balance is normal there, the problem doesnt occur with headphones, only with the actual laptop speakers.
Thanks, later.

Tedster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 05:58 PM

Do you all have this speaker problem on your Powerbooks? Or just some of us? Maybe you guys can check when you get a chance and let us know... Thanks.

Tedster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 05:58 PM

Do you all have this speaker problem on your Powerbooks? Or just some of us? Maybe you guys can check when you get a chance and let us know... Thanks.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 08:47 AM

I noticed too that my trackpad button is VERY stiff and difficult to use. I've stopped using it altogether because of the discomfort it causes. When I took it in to tekserve to have my sensitive 's' key fixed, I asked about the button and the guy told me that they vary in firmness. That's not exactly a solution....

I might take it to the Applestore some time to get it fixed. Obviously, if a button is so stiff that it's difficult to use for most people, there's a problem. I also tried the demo models at tekserve and they all felt smooth and didn't require much pressure at all.

pcummins
Dec 2, 2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tedster
I know my model PowerBook 15" (a 1.5 gHz Alu) has 3 speakers, one on either side of the keyboard and one closer to the left than the right. Since the middle speaker is quite powerful, the balance is off so it makes the PowerBook sound like the audio is stronger on the left than the right. I suspect the newer model PowerBooks also have the 3 speaker design which causes the same issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules