Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new music speakers, looking for quality under $250

new music speakers, looking for quality under $250
quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 07:49 PM

I have a MBP CD and I am a pretty picky audiophile.

My M-Audio DX4's are really screwed up and I'd like to find a new set of speakers.

I don't know what to get.

I love the sound of my Sure E2C's and my Ultrasone HFI-550's.

The DX4's were nice too before the tweeter got pushed in and the one internal connection loosened up.

What would you guys reccomend?

$250> would be nice, and i am a much bigger fan of clear highs than boomy bass, although the low end can't be lacking....

thanks, adam
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

magneticpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 02:43 PM

Try the KRK 4 or 5 inch. I think they're $149 each/$298 for a pair but they sound really good. I heard them at guitar center and they're pretty nice. You can get them at musiciansfriend.com. I have the DX4s also and I'm going to upgrade to the KRKs ASAP. Let us know how things turn out.

quattrokid73  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2006, 11:18 PM

i suppose things like the soundsticks arent worth considering?

or other jbl for that matter?

just entertaining the possibility...

ill see if those are locally available.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 03:19 AM

My girlfriend just surprised me with a pair of Bose Companion III. They sound like nothing I've ever heard. I think they're under $300, maybe $250 but i may be wrong. I don't know if this is your kinda thing if your picky, but they're are definitely worth looking at.

DrBoar
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 02:08 PM

forget crappy plastic pcspeakers and Bose
Swans are real speakers
Newegg.com - Swan M200 Studio Monitor - Pair - Retail
There are other powered monitor speakers that has a soundquality that by far surpass "pc-speakers" all the way up to very expensive pro speakers but the Swans is a very good start on the HiFi road

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
My girlfriend just surprised me with a pair of Bose Companion III. They sound like nothing I've ever heard. I think they're under $300, maybe $250 but i may be wrong. I don't know if this is your kinda thing if your picky, but they're are definitely worth looking at.
No one should ever buy anything from Bose, no matter what. Your girlfriend, in buying Bose products, showed that she is on par with the rest of the female population when it comes to buying electronics.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TFunkadelic View Post
No one should ever buy anything from Bose, no matter what. Your girlfriend, in buying Bose products, showed that she is on par with the rest of the female population when it comes to buying electronics.
.. and that makes you say that because you are?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 05:21 PM

What is wrong with Bose? They have great quality and great customer service.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 09:32 PM

Bose sounds good for the non audiophile, but read any serious review and you will see how you can get better sound for the same price. Bose sound is priced at list twice too much. That pays for the customer service, all these fancy stores and the millions they spend on advertisement and not R/D.
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
.. and that makes you say that because you are?
That was a bad come back. It barely even makes sense.

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 01:49 PM

Until recently, I really thought that those who hated Bose were either very picky, or just didn't like their publicity/pricing. Now, I hate them as well. I saw a huge display at a show I went to, and everything they had to offer sounded atrocious for the money they were asking. If you have loads of desk space and four times the budget, I'd have a look at www.ferguson-hill.co.uk - I've just taken delivery of a set of the 'small' system. But if you're not bothered, don't worry, the last time I mentioned them on this forum I was given third- degree burns...

David.
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 03:27 PM

Well, I don't care that much since I get Bose stuff for free most of the time.

Hodog16
Dec 18, 2006, 06:20 PM

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I definitely appreciate quality in music and speakers.

I have the Altec Lansing FX6021 which can now be had for under $200 I think. Very impressed with these speakers. They usually have them on display at an Apple Store if there's one nearby. They look pretty nice next to an iMac too.

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
forget crappy plastic pcspeakers and Bose
Swans are real speakers
Newegg.com - Swan M200 Studio Monitor - Pair - Retail
There are other powered monitor speakers that has a soundquality that by far surpass "pc-speakers" all the way up to very expensive pro speakers but the Swans is a very good start on the HiFi road

Thank you DrBoar for the sensible and good advice.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 07:20 PM

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks are very nice too.

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
I have a MBP CD and I am a pretty picky audiophile.

My M-Audio DX4's are really screwed up and I'd like to find a new set of speakers.

I don't know what to get.

I love the sound of my Sure E2C's and my Ultrasone HFI-550's.

The DX4's were nice too before the tweeter got pushed in and the one internal connection loosened up.

What would you guys reccomend?

$250> would be nice, and i am a much bigger fan of clear highs than boomy bass, although the low end can't be lacking....

thanks, adam
If you liked the way the DX4's sounded then I would definitely recommend the M-Audio LX4 2.1 system. The satellites are just like the DX4's with the exception that the tweeter is not fully exposed. It also comes with an 8" subwoofer that really kicks out tight bass. It's the best part of the system. I've owned a lot of computer speakers over the years, including the highly praised Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the LX4 beats them all. Sam Ash has a great price on them right now, definitely within your budget.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What is wrong with Bose? They have great quality and great customer service.
What planet do you live on?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks are very nice too.
Bass doesn't hit hard and the frequency range is not very large.

spice003
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 12:41 AM

KRK RP6 sound really good i had them hooked up to my macboo pro. I had to take them back because when i hooked up my 32" lcd screen( i watch a lot of movies) it starts buzzing through the speakers. but if you are not hooking anything up i would recommend KRK's. stop a you locar guitar center and listen to them.

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by spice003 View Post
KRK RP6 sound really good i had them hooked up to my macboo pro. I had to take them back because when i hooked up my 32" lcd screen( i watch a lot of movies) it starts buzzing through the speakers. but if you are not hooking anything up i would recommend KRK's. stop a you locar guitar center and listen to them.
Ummm...that hum/buzz you're talking about probably could have been resolved pretty easy by either buying new cables (if the ones you were using were poorly shielded or damaged), by experimenting with different placement of components/wires, or lastly by using some time of power conditioning strip, which aren't very expensive. It sounds like you just had a grounding problem of some sort, which is definitely not good reason to toss out a pair of speakers.

quattrokid73  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 05:44 PM

thanks fellas.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 09:02 AM

I was hoping to get some new speakers for Christmas and ended up with some BestBuy gift certificates. I can probably afford to put out up to $200 on speakers (incl. gift certificates), but they catch is they have to come from Best Buy. I know it's not the greatest place for high quality on things, but it's where I can afford some new speakers for my new iMac speakers.

I'm currently eyeing a 5 speaker set of Logitechs, but may go down to a better quality 3 piece. I don't need crazy surround sound, just something that fills my bedroom consistently and sounds great. Any awesome suggestions?

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2006, 03:48 PM

O.k first of all i have the bose quiet comfort 3 and i think they sound awesome with my macbook pro. (i can see why people hate on bose their prices are extremely high but overall they have a nice sound)

Check out the logitech z5450 wiresless rear speakers-i have this on my bedroom connected to my airport express and the thx certification sound approved really stands out.
i just got them yesterday for like 269 at my local favorite computer shop in the world compusa.
they sound amazing and i also connected my ps3 thorugh digital and man while i was playing call of duty 3 i felt like i had to duck and hide for cover.

check them out for the price is not bad.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

Forum Links
Forum Rules