Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Favorite iPad native apps so far?

Favorite iPad native apps so far?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 01:07 AM

I must admit that mine is a usual cast of characters.
Pages, keynote and numbers
Good reader
Marvel comics app
Things fopr the iPad, though I thinkqthe price is outrageous
Words with friends
The guardian express
Hmmm... Let me see if there are others.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

-Q-
Apr 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

I'm assuming you mean favorite "iPad" native apps?

If so, I'm a big fan of Air Video, News Rack, Dungeon Hunter HD, Good Reader, Air Hockey and Guardian Eyewitness. I love the potential of Netflix and ABC's apps, but haven't had a real reason to use them yet.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 02:41 PM

yes, i did mean ipad, sorry.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Andrew88088
Apr 16, 2010, 04:01 PM

SkyGrid is one of my favorites. I just downloaded NewsRack last night and I really like it too. Once I get a little downtime, I plan on using the ABC app to catch up on Brothers & Sisters.
I bought Pages, on the chance that I'm only armed with my iPad and I need to write something out, but so far I haven't used it. It's pretty, though

ibook_steve
Apr 16, 2010, 05:05 PM

Fixed the title.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Fixed the title.
Thanks Steve. I tried but it would not let me.

I love the Disney book toy story. Actually my daughter loves it. Nice mix of video and animations. Pretty good for free

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2010, 03:01 PM

I like NewsRack, but copying Apple's Mail App makes for some horrible ergonomics.

There should be a button to move to the next article somewhere near your thumb.

For those who don't have it, it's set up just like Mail, which means that in portrait, the button is at the top, which is, literally, the farthest point away from useful. In landscape, you don't get a button. It's tap a story, move your thumb, tap, move, tap, move, tap, move, tap... flick.

Arrrgh! Drives me batty.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 17, 2010 at 03:09 PM. )

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I like NewsRack, but copying Apple's Mail App makes for some horrible ergonomics.

There should be a button to move to the next article somewhere near your thumb.

For those who don't have it, it's set up just like Mail, which means that in portrait, the button is at the top, which is, literally, the farthest point away from useful. In landscape, you don't get a button. It's tap a story, move your thumb, tap, move, tap, move, tap, move, tap... flick.

Arrrgh! Drives me batty.
What would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 5? I am trying to decide if it is worth $5.00 to me. It does look great though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 01:35 AM

I'm not the best person to ask, my main experience has heretofore been with the reader built into desktop Safari.

That being said, I don't feel taken for a ride or anything. It's pretty. The look, feel and functionality are almost 100% cribbed from the Mail App, so you can get an excellent idea of how it drives from that. The major difference is everything gets cached so NewsRack is ultra-responsive compared to Mail.

It's a universal app, so if you have an iPhone, you're all set with that too, and Google Reader integration to sync them up.

In fact, I'd say it was awesome if it wasn't for the controls. Those are just plain bad. Track through a hundred emails one at a time to get a preview (and a hand cramp) for free. I should also mention that I seem to get eye fatigue from it after awhile, but that's going to be a highly individual sort of thing.

Andrew88088
Apr 18, 2010, 12:59 PM

My main gripe about it, thus far, is that I can't load earlier articles. Or if I can, I haven't figured out how.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 02:12 PM

If you click on "unread", and there's no unread articles, you can hit "show latest"' to load up the last 100.

Likewise, if you directly select a feed which has no unread articles, it will load up the last 100 for that feed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules