Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > From 24" iMac to new MacBook... what will I miss?

From 24" iMac to new MacBook... what will I miss?
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2008, 08:06 AM

It has been a LONG time since I have just rocked a laptop and not had a desktop, but I am considering moving from my 24" iMac (4GB/500GB/2.3Ghz) to a new MacBook (4GB/250GB/2.4Ghz) and the new 24" LCD.

This is how I think I am breaking it down..

Loss:
- 250GB of hard drive (only use 140GB and I have 2.7TB on my Drobo)
- 1 x Firewire 800 port

Same:
- .1 Ghz of processor (nothing really)
- 4GB of RAM
- 24" monitor (LCD should be brighter)
- 3 USB slots on LCD

Gain:
- nVidia 9400M
- Laptop mobility w/ LCD at home goodness

Am I missing anything else? Has anyone done this recently?

What am I getting myself into?

BZ

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 08:41 AM

Why are you thinking of not using the iMac anymore? I have a 2007 iMac AND a new MacBook. Both serve their purposes, but I'm not sure why you'd give up the iMac and go the other route, especially as it sounds like you'd still have to buy the display.

BZ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2008, 09:41 AM

I forgot to mention I have a MacBook Pro that the wife uses a lot.

It used to be I could just take that when I wanted to, but now she has claimed it as hers and it is just too big for daily carrying.

The MacBook seems to be just about right in terms of features, size, functions and cost.

BZ

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 11:27 AM

you also lose fw 400, the new macbook only has usb.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

BZ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
you also lose fw 400, the new macbook only has usb.
Forgot that one.

I use FW800 for my Drobo, but think that USB 2.0 will keep up for TimeMachine/iPhoto/iTunes and occasional storage.

BZ

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by BZ View Post
I use FW800 for my Drobo, but think that USB 2.0 will keep up for TimeMachine/iPhoto/iTunes and occasional storage.BZ
I agree that as long as your mass storage usages remain so very light you should be ok.

However, the fact is that USB sucks as a hard drive connection method. Any box that lacks access to eSATA and/or FW800 is severely limited for usage with heavy graphics applications that routinely require moving lots of data beyond the limited single internal drive, accessing scratch, etc.

I fully agree that not everyone needs fast access to mass storage, but at the same time buyers of new boxes should not be seduced by the siren song of clock speed. MB buyers need to be fully aware that there are consequences of life cycle and performance when buying lowest end architecture. For heavier usage of graphics apps the architecture of heavier more expensive boxes gets much better as one moves up the food chain of price.

Originally Posted by BZ View Post
The MacBook seems to be just about right in terms of features, size, functions and cost.
Agreed for your described usage.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 03:54 PM

The only thing that I can think of that is major is the screen size. But the new LED screens are sweet and you'll forget all about it in a few minutes.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 05:08 PM

don't get ahead of yourself, while i'm sure the mbp look great, i've already seen a few mb side angle shots and the screen is definitely a disappointment.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Raman
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 08:29 PM

The screen on the MBP is great. I'm using it side-by-side with my 24" imac right now.

Joshua312
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 08:54 PM

I just made the switch from the 24" iMac to the new MacBook and do not regret it one bit. My biggest change was the screen size obviously, but in the future I'll purchase a monitor to hook this up to if need be or just buy the adapter and use it with my TV.

BZ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua312 View Post
I just made the switch from the 24" iMac to the new MacBook and do not regret it one bit. My biggest change was the screen size obviously, but in the future I'll purchase a monitor to hook this up to if need be or just buy the adapter and use it with my TV.
Great. Thanks.

I saw the 24" LCD in the Apple store and it is just AMAZING...

Can't wait to watch some HD TV shows on it.

BZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules