Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Please refresh my memory

Please refresh my memory
The Milkman
Forum Regular
May 7, 2002, 12:41 PM

I cannot for the life of me remember the catastrofic Apple-event that occured late september 2000 that caused AAPL to make this terrible drop:

Must have blocked it out due to its traumatic nature.
Greetings,
Mm.

Edit: Oops! this was supposed to go to The Lounge. Sorry

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: The Milkman ]
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2002, 12:42 PM

stock split.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

conny
Forum Regular
May 7, 2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
<STRONG>stock split.</STRONG>
Nope, this was not the stock split. The scale on these axels are percentages where stock splits doesn't make any difference. They reported they had a lot of iMacs and cubes in stock they couldn't get rid of. And they also announced an early earnings warning. It might even be the same day the reported red numbers.

kndonlee
Forum Regular
May 7, 2002, 12:53 PM

That is not a stock split...Stocks do not drop in price when it splits. In a stock split lets say for example I have 500 shares of aapl @ 50 dollars. If it splits I will now have 1000 shares of aapl @ 25 each. Check out msft, you'll see that during the course of the past twenty years, there are little marks by certain days... those little marks will denote stock splits, but you'll also see that the price didn't drop drastically.

anyways... That was the day that Apple had announced their quarterly earnings, and and fell a bit below the expectations of the analysts and what not... I believe it was the very very first quarter that they had lost money in a long long time since the debut of the iMac. Also.. that was the quarter in which the cube was an utter failure due to the high price.

diamondsw
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 01:40 PM

Apple was the first company to not only issue a major earnings warning, but warn that the economy was tanking. Everyone else did so over the next couple months, but since Apple had to announce theirs out in front (just due to their financial calendar), they got hammered because no one realized the bubble had just burst...

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 01:50 PM

I sense a move to the Lounge is imminent ...
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2002, 02:17 PM

Nonsuch, you must be psychic.

Moving to the Lounge.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2002, 02:24 PM

Oh, yeah. The stock split was on May 19th 2000. Slipped my mind. This is post MWNY where the cube was announced.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 03:17 PM

All long term stock graphs take into account stock splits, they HAVE to in order to make sense.

It was the bubble bursting, as others have said: take a look at every other tech industry stock Sept to Dec 2000.

Added: Hey, WTF is with that logarithmic scale on the graph??! It makes things look much worse by exaggerating the downward lines as the numbers get lower!

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: ReggieX ]
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules