Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Proxy server

Proxy server
oexer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2002, 03:56 PM

We have installed a Microsoft ISA proxy server in our company and now itunes and software update do not work. I have set the preferences to point to the the proxy server and changed the rtsp port to 554 which does not work. Is there another fix or is it a setting on the proxy server the NT guys don't know about.

Thanks

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by oexer:
We have installed a Microsoft ISA proxy server in our company and now itunes and software update do not work. I have set the preferences to point to the the proxy server and changed the rtsp port to 554 which does not work. Is there another fix or is it a setting on the proxy server the NT guys don't know about.

Thanks
iTunes and SW-Update are not working with proxies. the settings in the control-panel are ignored by this and all other apps from Apple.

Thats it. The most advanced operating system does not support proxies in any way.

nexus5.

oexer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Nexus5:

iTunes and SW-Update are not working with proxies. the settings in the control-panel are ignored by this and all other apps from Apple.

Thats it. The most advanced operating system does not support proxies in any way.

nexus5.
Bummer.

Thanks

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2002, 09:20 AM

nexus5.
WTF? Of course the OS can use proxies. QuickTime, browsers, iPhoto, Mail.app, etc etc.

Software Update doesn't seem to do so, but the whole OS?

Either you don't know what you are talking about, too lazy to elaborate your point or you are a troll.

Whatever the answer is, that comment quoted is not true.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

WTF? Of course the OS can use proxies. QuickTime, browsers, iPhoto, Mail.app, etc etc.

Software Update doesn't seem to do so, but the whole OS?

Either you don't know what you are talking about, too lazy to elaborate your point or you are a troll.

Whatever the answer is, that comment quoted is not true.
OK, Mr. SuperTroll:
If you are behind an authenticed proxy you are not able to get anything connected to the internet, only mounting an iDisk form the finder is working.

iTunes, Mail, iSync, .Mac DiskUtil, Backup, Software Update, Sherlock, iPhoto, iChat, QuickTime-Player e.t.c are not working with authenticated proxies - read my lips: NOT WORKING!

nexus5

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2002, 06:08 PM

nexus5.
Works fine for me. Listen to internet radio at work. Some QuickTime trailers don't work, others do.

Everything except e-mail. I'd like to have automatic proxy configuration -- now I can't read scientific articles from my iBook.

Well, my AlphaStation gotta be good for something
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2002, 06:46 PM

OK, Mr. SuperTroll:

Somebody hand this man his prize! Most absurd statement of the year.

Jeez.

Paul McCann
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 07:28 PM

Maybe, but the point stands: the inability of apple's applications to use authenticating proxy servers is pathetic. Software update used to work, but borked with 10.2. Surely Apple has the capability of getting the URL classes to work properly with proxies within a reasonable timeframe? And before someone chimes in with the "gee, they're trying really hard, there's only so much they can do..." argument; don't bother! Time's up! Vee vont zee proxees to vork reel soon nau. This lack has been a bad smell in OS X since the beginning, particularly in educational settings, where authenticating proxy servers seem to congregate.

Cheers,
Paul

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 07:57 PM

Jeez.
Thank you. How much prices did you get for your 2165 posts?

nexus5.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Paul McCann:

Maybe, but the point stands: the inability of apple's applications to use authenticating proxy servers is pathetic. Software update used to work, but borked with 10.2. Surely Apple has the capability of getting the URL classes to work properly with proxies within a reasonable timeframe? And before someone chimes in with the "gee, they're trying really hard, there's only so much they can do..." argument; don't bother! Time's up! Vee vont zee proxees to vork reel soon nau. This lack has been a bad smell in OS X since the beginning, particularly in educational settings, where authenticating proxy servers seem to congregate.

Cheers,
Paul
I am not defending Apple here, just correcting mistakes. While Software update can't handle proxies, many other apps in OS X can.

And before you peolpe get too high from dissing the OS X software update app, the Software Updater in OS 9 couldn't handle proxies either.

I agree that Apple should do something about it, however.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2002, 12:50 AM

Can I ask how you get IE to work under 10.2.1 with Proxy server 2 or ISA as our it guys can't. The funny thing is that Netscape 7 works flawlessly.
Any help would be appreciated as they don't like Macs and wont do anything to help the users

kMikaZu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 06:47 AM

It DOES work with proxies!!!! Software-Update, and everything, even if it isn't anonymous!! What are you talking about??????
"I have a magnet, so everyone backup!!"
kMikaZu.be

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by kMikaZu:
It DOES work with proxies!!!! Software-Update, and everything, even if it isn't anonymous!! What are you talking about??????
Haha, good morning! Yes, it does work _now_. Two years later....

kMikaZu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2004, 02:22 PM

Wrong!! The only things that didn't work with proxies (2 years ago, and even from the start of OSX), were Backup, iCal and iDisk Utility. All the rest did and still do work!!!

back!
kMikaZu.be

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by kMikaZu:
Wrong!! The only things that didn't work with proxies (2 years ago, and even from the start of OSX), were Backup, iCal and iDisk Utility. All the rest did and still do work!!!

back!
No Sir: Not with authenticated proxies. Backup, iCal and iDisk Util. still do not work with authenticated proxies. Thats it.

nexus5.

kMikaZu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2004, 07:42 PM

Well, it does work with me, and perfect!! I think it has something to do with your proxy-server, because here it works perfect!
kMikaZu.be

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 08:20 PM

I think a lot of people here are confused between authenticated proxies and other proxies.

YES, all the apple software works fine with proxies.

UNLESS those proxies use authentication. Most of the Apple software does NOT work with proxy authentication.

HOWEVER, there are several very good workarounds for this. Eg, "Squid Man", or "Authoxy" overcomes the problem entirely. So it's not that big a deal.

Still, Apple really should fix this - it is very poor.

kMikaZu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 05:19 PM

I know the difference, and it works with me. But I think it has something to do with the way it authenticates.
kMikaZu.be

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 05:24 PM

I've never used authenticated proxies, so.

AFAIK to this day Backup.app does not work with any kind of proxy, authenticated or not.

rytc
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 07:17 PM

No Sir: Not with authenticated proxies. Backup, iCal and iDisk Util. still do not work with authenticated proxies. Thats it.

nexus5.

Well my university uses an authenticated SOCKS proxy and all of the apps work fine for me, Software Update, iTunes, etc etc.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2004, 02:00 AM

I can confirm that 10.3.4 does work with an ISA server, however if you have an older proxyserver2 then your out of luck.

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 03:58 AM

Zombie Thread Alert!

rytc
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by sideus:

Zombie Thread Alert!
Okay :/

kMikaZu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 10:41 PM

I've never used authenticated proxies, so.

AFAIK to this day Backup.app does not work with any kind of proxy, authenticated or not.
Strange, but it works with me (not with the first version). I think that's kind of common this time with Apple. Look at the problems with Mail and Sherlock in the beginning (or the bad update with the battery problems). Some people did have problems, others not.
kMikaZu.be

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 12:14 AM

WTF is everyone talking about?

SU, and iTunes work through the proxy at my work just fine.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
WTF is everyone talking about?

SU, and iTunes work through the proxy at my work just fine.
Well, I guess that proves it then. There's no problem. OS X not working through authenticated proxies was just a figment of our imaginations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules