Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photoshop 7 suddenly won't boot... [privileges?]

Photoshop 7 suddenly won't boot... [privileges?]
GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2002, 08:49 AM

My PS 7 won't load properly anymore - to be precise it accuses me of lack of privileges.

"could not initialise Photoshop because you do not have the necessary privileges"

This allert comes immediately after it attempts to measure memory.

It was working up until I redid my prebindings, as far as I can tell other apps behave fine. I do run my swap partition on a seperate drive, but have been doing this for awhile - it is set for no privileges.

Can anyone help?
I have Mac

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2002, 09:42 AM

If it's a pirate copy or a beta, it might have expired due to a time out on the registration key. Alternatively, it may be because of corrupt prefs or missing files. Try re-installing it.

GENERAL_SMILEY  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2002, 09:56 AM

It is not a Warez Copy, and I have seen the expired message on versions which were, this is not the same message.

Have tried reinstalling it, no joy. Pretty sure some privileges have been screwed up, don't know where to look though.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.
I have Mac

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2002, 10:06 AM

what i usually do is take the exact text of the error message and drop it in google. it will usually take you to a adobe knowledge base article that will probably help you out.

kMikaZu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2002, 11:56 AM

You can change the privileges off every file with BatChmod. Sometimes the privileges are corrumpted and than you need to restore them.

Suc6!
"I have a magnet, so everyone backup!!"
kMikaZu.be

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jun 6, 2002, 03:07 PM

Did you remove the existing copy of PS before reinstalling?
To remove it completely, delete the app folder, all of its preferences (there are many of theem, AFAIK) and the corresponding files in the Application Support both in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe and /Library/Application Support/Adobe. When deleting, keep an eye open if you have other Adobe apps installed.

If this does not help, I would consider openin Console and reading the log to discover where is the offending file. Then I would give BatChmod a try.

HTH

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules