Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > The name!

The name!
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2006, 03:20 AM

Okay, this isn't the most technical of questions, but I've gotta ask anyway: How did you guys come up with the name "Delicious Monster"?

Just curious.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 04:57 PM

The name comes from a plant that is in Wil's house, the monstera deliciosa, often called the Swiss Cheese Plant or split leaf philodendron. Here's a picture of the actual plant:

I think this particular plant is fairly old, as it was inherited from his mother. It is absolutely huge.

-Lucas

mike3k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 07:16 PM

The name comes from a plant that is in Wil's house, the monstera deliciosa, often called the Swiss Cheese Plant or split leaf philodendron. Here's a picture of the actual plant:

I think this particular plant is fairly old, as it was inherited from his mother. It is absolutely huge.

-Lucas
They grow all over Florida. I just took out a lot of them around my home because they started getting too ugly. After a while they develop an ugly, tangled mass of thick roots coming out of a long stem with a clump of leaves at the end.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 04:21 AM

I had never really heard of them until I started working for DM, but when I went back home to Hawaii to visit, I was excitedly describing this crazy plant to my wife's parents, who are horticulturists. They were completely unimpressed. Oh, Monstera? Yawn.

Turns out it's crazy common all over Hawaii and I just never noticed. I even had aloha shirts with Monstera patterns and was completely clueless. That's what comes of spending your childhood in front of a computer.

So many things around us tell a story, but we seldom stop to listen, much as how I never appreciated vanilla until Alton Brown explained to me how incredibly exotic it is. How many people lived and died throughout history for the salt and pepper found on every table in America? What would my ancestors think of how cheap rice is?

But, I digress...

-Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules