Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > What about shopping list?

What about shopping list?
ewiser
Aug 14, 2006, 07:55 AM

Would it be possible to use the software for grocery shopping list?
Using the bar code input of my MacBook Pro I held up a can and it scanned the bar code with the proper numbers. But since there is no way to add a say Food shelf and then a way to look up the Can bar code all I got was the ! on the box.
This looks like a good area for the software. You could make up a shopping list by scanning the UPC as you used an item.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 14, 2006, 01:41 PM

this seems like a good idea after amazon just added groceries to there line up

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 04:59 PM

I know. You scan a barcode and you think, I look like the guy at the grocery store. I should use this for groceries. It's an idea that's cute and obvious, but not very practical. Consider, for example, some problems with using a program like Delicious Library to make a shipping list by scanning barcodes:

• You'd have to already own an item to add it to the list.
• It's more of a pain in the butt to scan an item into a list than to just write it down.
• Many items you buy don't have barcodes, such as produce and meat.
• Most people don't need a specific version of something, they just need something in that class.
• Most people make buy-time substitutions based on store brands and sale items.

ewiser  (op)
Aug 15, 2006, 05:19 AM

• You'd have to already own an item to add it to the list.

Yes as one used a product you scanned it.

• It's more of a pain in the butt to scan an item into a list than to just write it down.

This is a computer program intergate a notes to iPod function. This could be said of the
Libary program itself ,"I can do that with 3x5 cards."

• Many items you buy don't have barcodes, such as produce and meat.

Lot's store chains use standard bar codes for meats.

• Most people don't need a specific version of something, they just need something in that class.

Hey you don't know my wife.

• Most people make buy-time substitutions based on store brands and sale items.

Again you don't know my wife. Many people have favorite brands that they use instead of store brands.
You don't have to do it it was just a thought. I am sure someone else will do it.
There are already several shopping software for OSX that use the bluetooth barcode scanner. I am sure there will be someone who will add the isight function to theirs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules