Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > iSight Scanning + Macro Focus

iSight Scanning + Macro Focus
bgclarke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 04:48 AM

When I first tried DL I grabbed a random handful of items that I could add to my collections by scanning in their barcode using my iSight. I really struggled with a couple of items that had quite small barcodes[1].

I didn't really think about it much more until I downloaded the demo of iGlasses to have a play. It has a "macro focus" feature and, using that, the same barcodes looked much clearer and crisper to my untrained eye. I felt sure that if DL had support for the same macro focus as an option or whatever then it would be easier for me to scan in barcodes. What do ya think? Does visual clarity affect scanning performance, as I would expect, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

My iSight is a separate unit, by the way, not built-in.

[1] After I failed to scan them in I entered the codes manually and then went off to whiten my own teeth, just in case anyone wondered!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2006, 12:11 AM

The problem is that, what looks clearer and bigger to you are the same pixels in reality, so they'd look the same to Delicious Library.

tiny ogre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 02:51 PM

I had the same problem with Delicious Library not setting the focus on my external iSight. I've now exchanged a few mails with both Delicious and the guy that makes iGlasses, and between us we've figured out what's wrong. I have an Intel Mini and an external iSight, probably the only Intel Mac that's likely to have an external iSight with autofocus at this point since all the other Intel macs to date have built-in cameras. Apparently part of the API for controlling the iSight is not endian safe. iGlasses has been corrected for this, but DL has not.

However, there is a solution already without no patches needed! Find the DL application icon, Get Info, and turn on "Open using Rosetta". That will force it to run in PowerPC mode, which will cost you a little performance, but I can honestly barely tell the difference.

Hope that helps someone else out until there's a real fix, like the original poster (who didn't say if they were on an intel or PowerPC Mac). It scans like a champ now for me.

Protoplasm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tiny ogre
I had the same problem with Delicious Library not setting the focus on my external iSight. <Snip>

Hope that helps someone else out until there's a real fix, like the original poster (who didn't say if they were on an intel or PowerPC Mac). It scans like a champ now for me.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. It never even occurred to me that the issues I was having with Delicious Library's focussing/scanning mechanism were as a result of a bug rather than a feature!

I am the original poster, by the way, and, yes, I am also using an Intel Mac Mini with external iSight.

Thanks again!

dsample
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 09:05 AM

I have been having this same problem, and yes, I'm also using an Intel Mini. I had been getting around it slightly by using EvoBarcode with the manual input box (EvoBarcode has a 'send to front application' option).

I'll try this fix later, I have a feeling (from reading the other posts) that this is going to work, yey

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 04:40 PM

We fixed this in the code, so all future releases of Delicious Library should be free of this particular bug.

Forum Links
Forum Rules