Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The iSight stand is a friggin' STICKER!??

The iSight stand is a friggin' STICKER!??
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 12:49 PM

Ok I just got my iSight and I thought it was pure brilliance when I read that they included different types of stand for different monitors.

I was under the impression that a "designer" would have come up with a clever way of making the camera attach to the LCD or CRT.

Looking at the pictures I thought the LCD stand had hooks that latched onto the back of those grooves on the Apple LCD's.

Turns out it is just one mean... stick it once and leave it forever sticker!??

What happens when I want to use it on another computer or buy another LCD? I got this big stub stuck to the back of an LCD and have to go to the apple Store and buy hopefully another stand (for $20 no doubt).

Sorry, I am just really disappointed as even USB cams years ago had neat self adjusting clips.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 01:07 PM

Hrm. Surprised no one else has mentioned this.

I will probably get one soon. I have a 21" CRT, so I will probably just use the flat stand and rest it on top. Or use some of that poster putty stuff to adhere it. That stuff won't leave any residue or shite like that.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 01:15 PM

I'm envious. Your lives must be pretty simple if adhesive residue is that big a deal

But seriuosly, what's the problem? If you don't like the double sided tape, peal it off and remove the residue with just about any kind of solvent. It should take less than ten minutes. Replace the double sided tape with velcro if you like.

The supplied mounts and adhesive have worked nicely for me. Removal and repositioning during initial installation was not difficult.

Replacement double sided tape or velcro will cost you about 1% of the iSight's cost. It can be found at any walmart or hardware store.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
But seriuosly, what's the problem? If you don't like the double sided tape, peal it off and remove the residue with just about any kind of solvent. It should take less than ten minutes.
Every time I switch computers or just take it to someones house?

Because this is also very UN-apple, more of a stupid PC move.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 01:27 PM

Well, you should have quoted the velcro part of the post. But I guess you only wanted to quote out of context?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
Well, you should have quoted the velcro part of the post. But I guess you only wanted to quote out of context?
No, as I don't think I should glue some velcro to the back of a friends computer for one time use

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 01:39 PM

One time use?
It comes with a stand that sits on the desk. It seems like you're looking for something to feel victimized about.

Why do I bother?
Go for it. I'll give you the last word on how crappy the iSight is.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 02:18 PM

I don't think he was saying that the iSight is crappy. I think he was just a little miffed about how Apple decided to have people attach their iSights to their (high priced, beautiful) monitors.

I am a details kind of person. Details are what really get my juices flowing. One of the main reasons I love Apple so much is that they are the same way. The details are what separates good products from great products. This little detail about how the iSight is attached kind of gets to me too. I'm also sort of wondering why Apple chose such a "destructive" (using the word lightly here) method.

This won't stop me from getting an iSight, but it's something that warrants some criticism.

-Q-
Jul 3, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
This won't stop me from getting an iSight, but it's something that warrants some criticism.
I fully agree. The stands are the weakest part of the iSight equation. The laptop stand is great. Why couldn't they engineer something like that for LCDs? B/c as it stands, I can't use any of the stands for my non-Apple LCD.

Ah well, third party opportunity I guess...

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 04:02 PM

I don't have an iSight (yet) but my friend informs me that the adhesive is designed to be removed and reapplied easily several times. He has removed and reapplied this pad several times and the pad never tore or anything like that. Apple also sells additional pads (or at least the will) for when the one you have wears out. Sounds to me like they did consider the issue of marring the back of your LCD.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 04:08 PM

Believe it or not the desk stand is ALSO a sticker and it will take a crowbar to remove it from the back of my LCD.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2003, 07:59 PM

Yah that sticker thing throws me off from buying the iSight now. with such a nice form factor, Apple really messed up with mounting. I remember seeing the pics during the keynote, lol they should have just supplied a bottle of silly puddy. hahah.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2003, 11:07 PM

Uh, WHAT?

The iSight I got is a screw-on, not a sticker.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 12:01 AM

Just a interesting little note, I was up at the Westfarms Apple Store today and they had two iSights on display. One was on a 17"PowerBook using the laptop clip while the other one was on the other side of the store on a 12" iBook attached via the Monitor clip and stuck to the back of the LCD. I moved it around and there was no way that thing was coming off easily. Also for some reason the iSight on the iBook didn't even work, iChat just didn't see it. Seems rather strange that they would use the wrong clip and then apply it with so much pressure to make the thing almost impossible to remove.

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2003, 01:13 AM

Hrm. Surprised no one else has mentioned this.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=166249

Also, Apple should have had an adapter for attaching the iSight to a tripod.

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2003, 01:25 AM

I'm also intereted in an iSight, and a little disturbed by the stick-on stand, for the reasons of upgrading, changing displays etc.

True, I guess you may be able to remove it, but I wonder how easily, and what risk of damage to fragile LCDs (lightweight plastic back of FP iMac) ?

As has been mentioned, if you manage to get it off/move it, one can remove the sticky residue with a solvent.

However imac care instructions stipulate that solvents of any kind should not be used for cleaning purposes, so I'm a bit in the dark as to what one COULD use, that wouldn't theoretically risk damaging the display.

Oh well, hope somebody has some ideas, and new users of ISight may have a solution.

Cheers

Johnboi...
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Johnnyboysmac:
(lightweight plastic back of FP iMac) ?
I never found the iMac LCD back panel to be lightweight. Seemed sturdy to me.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 08:03 AM

Some ugly expensive options just came out:

http://www.macmice.com/sightclips.html

Isn't this guy the well known scammer?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Isn't this guy the well known scammer?
http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Uh, WHAT?

The iSight I got is a screw-on, not a sticker.

Mike
Did it also ship without debug code?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macxtal
Jul 4, 2003, 09:20 AM

If this is true, it would be fairly easy to have a nice aluminum piece machined that would clip onto the panel bevel. All you'd need is some rubber feet for friction.

My girlfriend is a mech eng, and could easily do a batch of these up on the CnC mill if enough people were interested. I can't see Apple using a sticker?

OpenStep
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 11:28 AM

Hydra
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 06:04 PM

Adjustable stands for the iSight.
That didn't take too long but it would be better to buy them separately.

-Opps I missed the link already posted above

-Jerry C.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 06:25 PM

There's no chance in hell I will be sticking any kind of adhesive on my Mac. The MacMice guy has a good idea, but the big ass black knob has got to go. Plus, if you buy that damn thing, you just bought a $200 webcam (include shipping).

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2003, 06:45 PM

No, but it came with a whine-o-meter which for some reason seems to always point towards Canada .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by starman:
No, but it came with a whine-o-meter which for some reason seems to always point towards Canada .

Mike
Funny, my school shootings meter always points to the US

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cvanston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 01:49 AM

For about $2 in parts you can skip the sticker and solidly (but temporarily) attach an iSight to an Apple LCD monitor without marking either and without using the sticker.

http://www.bigwoofilms.com/isight/

A friend of mine put together that parts list and made me one. My own iSight is mounted this way, and it rocks.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by cvanston:
For about $2 in parts you can skip the sticker and solidly (but temporarily) attach an iSight to an Apple LCD monitor without marking either and without using the sticker.

http://www.bigwoofilms.com/isight/

A friend of mine put together that parts list and made me one. My own iSight is mounted this way, and it rocks.
And this is exactly what I EXPECTED Apple to have included, not a friggin' sticker.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 07:25 PM

to bad theres no solution for the FP iMacs ...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2003, 09:11 PM

Some ugly expensive options just came out:

I bet Griffin Technology will come up with something better soon. Silver PowerMate is very nice-looking.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2003, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by Johnnyboysmac:
As has been mentioned, if you manage to get it off/move it, one can remove the sticky residue with a solvent.

However imac care instructions stipulate that solvents of any kind should not be used for cleaning purposes, so I'm a bit in the dark as to what one COULD use, that wouldn't theoretically risk damaging the display.
USE PEANUT-BUTTER.

Really. I'm not kidding.

The fat in there will dissolve almost any residual adhesive without damaging what's beneath.

Been using it for years to remove price tags.

-s*

palmberg
Senior User
Jul 10, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
USE PEANUT-BUTTER.
First the BMW, now this. Three cheers for German ingenuity!

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 04:48 PM

Most adhesives (especially stickers, tape, etc) dissolve VERY easily in acetone.

I know it was kind of cheap of Apple to use stickers, but as an iBook user, I don't make use of the stickered stands.

Just the same, given that the sticker reside is easily removed, attach some velcro as some others have suggested (although it might lack in stability).

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 04:53 PM

Oh, and acetone will not damage the surface of the display.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 06:05 PM

I wonder, would a magnet work in this situation? I understand why some wouldn't want to stick a piece of ugly velcro on their displays, but what about a magnet? What sort of problems would this create with display/computer operation? For aesthetic reasons, a magnet would look better than a piece of velcro IMO.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2003, 06:15 PM

I wonder, would a magnet work in this situation? I understand why some wouldn't want to stick a piece of ugly velcro on their displays, but what about a magnet? What sort of problems would this create with display/computer operation? For aesthetic reasons, a magnet would look better than a piece of velcro IMO.
Something tells me that monitors and magnets don't mix.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
to bad theres no solution for the FP iMacs ...
if you look down the page at macmice.com you'll see the SightClip for the FP iMac for $14.99. This is what I will get once I get an iSight.

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 10:31 PM

Heh....try sticking a magnet to your monitor (CRT or LCD) and see what happens.

j/k

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by blizaine:
if you look down the page at macmice.com you'll see the SightClip for the FP iMac for $14.99. This is what I will get once I get an iSight.

You might want to think twice about that:

http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 03:37 AM

Funny, my school shootings meter always points to the US
tasteless nowhere in the world is perfect.

the ways apple provides to stick isight to things isn't great, but i see no problem with using the desk mount and just not remove the adhesive seal.

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 12:54 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought one of the individual iSight stands from macmice, despite my awareness of their history of scamming. I chose the model that hangs on the top of the Apple Display.
Like many here, I find the sticker option unacceptable, and it seems a rushed and un-Apple-like solution. I suppose they'll improve this in later models, and us early adopters will look on lustfully.
Meanwhile, I've already heard reports of other third-party offerings beside macmice. My stand hasn't arrived yet; let's hope macmice is trying to become a legitimate business!!

Parky
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 08:37 AM

Has anyone read the instructions that come with the iSight camera?

I have an FP iMac and all the photos shown by Apple of the iSight and the FP iMac show it mounted in the centre of the screen. But the instructions with iSight tell you not to do this, they say not to sick it on the Apple Logo, but rather position it to the left or the right.

Now is it just me me, that thinks it will make for one ugly setup with the camera off to one side. I suspect that if we try to peel if the sticky stand what will really happen is the Silver Apple Logo will come off as well. they say don't stick it on the Loga as it will not stick as well.

Pity they don't follow their own advice.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

billybob128
Senior User
Jul 13, 2003, 02:07 PM

wats the betting though that they only said that so you could see the apple logo?

hmm i agree this sticker solution does seem very tacky from apple (untill u look at some of the finishes on my iBook) but surly some one could mod the stand or make their own? it shouldnt be to hard right?

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
hmm i agree this sticker solution does seem very tacky from apple (untill u look at some of the finishes on my iBook) but surly some one could mod the stand or make their own? it shouldnt be to hard right?
If you can mold plastic, go for it. I will just wait for Griffin Technologies to make me a solution.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Forum Links
Forum Rules