Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can I make MenuMeters boot with Startup

How can I make MenuMeters boot with Startup
seen_xu
Dec 31, 2003, 09:49 AM

I can not find it in my application folder, (which is impossible to add it in user panal), it is something attached with system configuration, so any ideas to make it boot on every machine start.

thx
Have a Mac, Never Come Back!?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2003, 10:10 AM

MenuMeters is a .prefPane located within your /Users/User_Name/Library/PreferencePanes folder; however, if you want it to start at boot under Panther, you'll need to move the location into the system /Library/PreferenePanes folder instead...

Place it here:

/Library/PreferencePanes/

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 10:12 AM

Menumeters, which I really like, is not an application, but a system preference pane. I don't know how to make it startup automagically either, but since I rarely logoff or restart, it is not an issue for me.

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 31, 2003, 10:13 AM

ok, try it now.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 10:16 AM

I just dragged it into the Startup Items in my user account, and it will open the pane, but it doesn't seem to remember the last settings.

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 31, 2003, 11:28 AM

it do boot with startup, but everytime the system configuration panel will bump up, that reallz annoyed me.

do we have other way, make it boot to the menu bar, but the system configuration do not pop up.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by seen_xu:
it do boot with startup, but everytime the system configuration panel will bump up, that reallz annoyed me.

do we have other way, make it boot to the menu bar, but the system configuration do not pop up.
on my system, menumeters remembers its setup between restarts, and i _don't_ have the .prefpane in my startup items. as you have noticed, all that will do is bring up the pref pane.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2003, 01:11 PM

Ummm, did you follow my instructions above? That's all that is needed. I've been running MenuMeters for months and it works flawlessly that way with all settings remembered each and everytime...you don't need to put anything in start-up items at all...

Weird.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by seen_xu:
I can not find it in my application folder, (which is impossible to add it in user panal), it is something attached with system configuration, so any ideas to make it boot on every machine start.

thx
THat's odd ... after I installed mine, it showed up in the system preferences, and it was simply a matter of clicking on the menumeters system preference and selecting "display *** menu meter" (the *** being either memory, cpu, disk, or network). Maybe you need to reinstall your copy of menumeters (I'm assuming you have the most current version), or try repairing your permissions.
Good luck and let us know what works!
David

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 31, 2003, 04:19 PM

type menumeters in Finder's search field, then delete all result, then reinstall, it works!

but I still got a headache over here, please check it see if you can help!

thx indeed

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=195119

Forum Links
Forum Rules