Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 2 Word files when e-mail to windows users. Why?

2 Word files when e-mail to windows users. Why?
Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2004, 09:59 AM

So i've been working with Mac OSX for a month now and i'm very happy with it. Last week i started to do homework on my Pbook (MS word) and mailing it to my classmates. Some of my classmates told me that they recieved 2 files in stead of 1. Same thing happens when i move some files to a USB pen drive. What's up with that? Can it be turn off?
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 10:30 AM

I was glad to see this question because I had the same thing happen to me this past week. I attached a Word document to an email that I sent to a PC user and they said they received two attachements on their end. One they couldn't open, the other (my original attachment I presume) opened right up.

This sounds very similar to the resource fork issue that earlier versions of mail (Apple's) had when trying to send a PC user attached jpeg files. I quit using mail and went back to Entourage until Apple finally fixed the problem. I realize there are third party "fixes" out there, but we shouldn't have to rely on additional software to resolve a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 11:23 AM

it is the resource fork issue.

You can eliminate the problem by choosing Edit->Attachments->Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments.
cpac

Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 11:43 AM

Excellent! I hadn't seen that before - thank you. Is this similar to the option we had in Outlook Express to choose Windows format when sending an attachement?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
You can eliminate the problem by choosing Edit->Attachments->Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments.
Which should, of course, be the default Mail behavior, as we all - willing or not - live in a Windows world: why must one have to select it manually?!? Nonsense...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
Excellent! I hadn't seen that before - thank you. Is this similar to the option we had in Outlook Express to choose Windows format when sending an attachement?
might be - I never used outlook express so i couldn't tell you...

regardless though it should work.

(and yes, it should be on by default, and also it should live in "preferences" not buried in the edit menu, but at least it's there...)
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules