Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Xi-Tibook2 theme available

[ANN] Xi-Tibook2 theme available
Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 06:19 AM

The topic says it all..
The kit comes with:
A guiKit file version Xi-Tibook2 v1.0
A safari skin folder
4 Desktops.
An iChat skin (requires iChatThemer 0.2)
Go get it by clicking on my sig.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 06:56 AM

Rehuing to match your theme is fun...

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 07:07 AM

cool! i'll give it a spin now! thanks.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

HytestA
Mar 8, 2004, 07:48 AM

Installing now, I really like the look of this one, the website looks cool too, Patcarla your themes are making you one of my favorite themers. keep up the excellent work
...ill get my coat

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 07:51 AM

Patcarla, please check your email.
Who'sDaMac?

mac15
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 07:55 AM

Not bad at all, I don't like how some of the widgets are odd placed. They sit really really low on titlebars. Extras are great, ichat skins, safari skins and desktops thats very nice.

All in all its a good looking theme, Its a bubbly take on jetblack vs tiskin.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2004, 11:27 AM

Great theme! I think it's awesome. I specially like what you have done with scrollbars �might this be what BBX was talking about? �. The only thing which seems to me out of place is the inactive state of round bevel buttons: seems misshapen, but maybe, it's just me.

thanks!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 8, 2004, 11:33 AM

Pretty neat theme! Real classy.
Only thing that bothered me was the flashing scrollbar caps and the Async arrows. I think the scrollbars should be solid yellow or blink less often. The Async arrow I just think could be refined.
Keep up the good work!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:41 AM

Nicely done. A very fun theme indeed

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:59 AM

Thanks guy for your comments I'm glad you like the theme.

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Pretty neat theme! Real classy.
Only thing that bothered me was the flashing scrollbar caps and the Async arrows. I think the scrollbars should be solid yellow or blink less often. The Async arrow I just think could be refined.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks Max.
About the scroll bars, I kind of like the current crasy blinking but I'll try to make something more coherent on the next update...
I agree with you on the async arrow, that was the main criticism__of my beta tester .
That will also change on the next update

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 8, 2004, 12:56 PM

Excellent work.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 8, 2004, 01:11 PM

Well done. I agree with Max's comments pretty much exactly.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 01:20 PM

Now we're talking Very nice work!

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 02:39 PM

Got it loaded now and must say it is really fun to use . I so needed a new theme and I have one now . I really dig every aspect of it - no complaints , no way . You are getting better at this and your site shows it too . The walls are wonderful as well - the whole pak is on fire . Great work and thanks for sharing it with us . I really am looking forward to more and could make a Pay Pal donation any thime . I really like this one lotz .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 03:32 PM

I actually really really like the async arrow. In fact, I really like most of this theme.

I have to agree with max/swiz though that the scroll caps are a little odd with the blinking, but also selected menu text is a little hard to read, and also the inactive finder sidebar could use some work.

That said, this theme is awesome.

edit: just found one more thing... in authentication windows, the text on the push buttons is black. kind of weird.
DigitalRamen sucks.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 03:40 PM

i really like this theme, but i get this really weird thing with the ichat skin. maybe this is not the place to be talking about this, as this is the first time i have tried to skin ichat, but no matter take a look.

whats an async arrow?

totally cool theme here. oh, and if anyone uses ollies tab for safari, i made a tab button to match this safari skin.

great job again man.
Dan.

revmitcz
Mar 8, 2004, 03:49 PM

I gotta say - this is a very nicely done theme. It's got a darker feel - but it's perfectly usable in all aspects. There's just ONE thing I've got a problem with, and I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but WHY is the text in Finder toolbars, dialog boxes, preference panels, etc. done in a light grey text instead of black text?

In looking at Safari w/your XI skin installed, I can see that the toolbar bookmark links are black. It looks damn good. I guess I'll kick open ThemePark one of these days and fine the one place that could change all the offending text to black, if need be.

Anywho... if you plan to make any updates, maybe have black text as an option? (like the graphite appearance option). I'm kinda surprised no one else mentioned this, but I guess no one else minds. Or, maybe my system hath gone whacketh.

Keep up the good work, sir!

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
whats an async arrow?
in aqua, it's the little circular loading meter that looks like it's trying to eat it's tail. if you're using tabs in safari, it's what shows that the tab is loading (assuming it's loading, anyway)

as I type this I'm looking at really light grey text. I'm not sure why, I've never seen this before, but the text I'm typing now in the forums is really light grey and it's really hard to read. I haven't done anything other than load the theme and load the safari skin... is this what it's supposed to be like?
DigitalRamen sucks.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 8, 2004, 04:04 PM

After reading the description in the ShapeShifter window, I was surprised to see it says that the gray is supposed to be metallic, it feels very much like a polycarbonate plastic, moreso than metal anyway.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 04:12 PM

Wow..lots of nice comments
Thanks guys

Time to answer now:

Tarambana: you're right, that's a bug that will be fixed in the next update..
Dan: that ichat bug is really strange and doesn't happen to me I'll talk to spaztik about that
For the text problem, well, that's a major compromise that I had to make because of the black buttons.. I hope that it will be fixed with a future SS/TP release..
And yes I do agree with you revmitcz, the text does look better in black..I'll change that as soon as SS/TP will allow me..

swiz, I agree with you, it's not really metallic but I couldn't find the right words to describe it ( english is not really my mother of tongue.). You just found the perfect description..

revmitcz
Mar 8, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
And yes I do agree with you revmitcz, the text does look better in black..I'll change that as soon as SS/TP will allow me..
Changing the color to black isn't supported? I looked through the previews of other themes in SS, and several of them use black text - Swiz's GUIPod and Max's Milk themes are both good examples.

Maybe we're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about the "toolbar" area in finder windows (or, if you're using the SS preview window, it's also the toolbar area where there are buttons for Text, Colors, etc.)

BTW, I also just noticed that the Safari Skin seems to have turned the text in this box (where my forum post is being written) into a light gray on white background, making it difficult to read. Weird. I guess it modified a default stylesheet?

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 04:39 PM

ROCK!!

Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by revmitcz:
Changing the color to black isn't supported? I looked through the previews of other themes in SS, and several of them use black text - Swiz's GUIPod and Max's Milk themes are both good examples.

Maybe we're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about the "toolbar" area in finder windows (or, if you're using the SS preview window, it's also the toolbar area where there are buttons for Text, Colors, etc.)

BTW, I also just noticed that the Safari Skin seems to have turned the text in this box (where my forum post is being written) into a light gray on white background, making it difficult to read. Weird. I guess it modified a default stylesheet?
What I meant is that text color ressource for the buttons, the system preference, the toolbar
and also the frame you're typing in to reply to this thread is the same..
So to see the text on the black buttons I had to use a light grey..
But as soon as SS can separate the ressources of the button text from the rest, I'll fix that

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 04:50 PM

one question. the drop down menus on the LEFT side of the screen (apple menu, file, edit, etc...) are rounded boxes while those on the RIGHT side (prefs pane, time/date, etc...) have square edges. supposed to be like that?

otherwise, it's the sweetest theme i've ever seen and will probably NEVER switch again. thank you!

any plans for an iTunes skin??

p.s. - i LOVE the flashers on the scroll bars : )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 04:51 PM

Very kick a$$ theme!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 05:00 PM

Nice looking indeed.
click one

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 05:04 PM

Wow, I didnt know that English wasnt your first language. You seem very fluent to me

Ya, my only two gripes after using it for a while are the async arrows and the scroll bars. Great work!

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by themarvelous3:
one question. the drop down menus on the LEFT side of the screen (apple menu, file, edit, etc...) are rounded boxes while those on the RIGHT side (prefs pane, time/date, etc...) have square edges. supposed to be like that?

otherwise, it's the sweetest theme i've ever seen and will probably NEVER switch again. thank you!

any plans for an iTunes skin??

p.s. - i LOVE the flashers on the scroll bars : )
Limitation of shapeshifter... There is the same thing in many other themes (aluminum alloy, for example) but it's not as obvious.

Simply great theme, I'll never open SS again!

quandarry
Mar 8, 2004, 06:19 PM

i luv this theme!

the scrolls and async arrows are cool (don't change them).

this is right up there with shinobi with it's cool little light effects and stuff.

just one thing...i can dig the light text against a medium grey background,

but the light text when a menu item is selected should be dark...it just seems natural.

IMHO

keep up the good work patcarla.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 08:50 PM

Very nice Patcaria!

Dig the scrollbars!

JellyBeen
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 11:48 PM

Awsome work!!!! I just luv it.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 12:00 AM

The black text on the black Camino tabs is impossible to read. Otherwize this is one of my favorite OSX themes ever! I love it! You should make a Camino theme too!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

quandarry
Mar 9, 2004, 12:38 AM

you know this theme cries very loudly for variations where the dark grey (black) is replaced by different colors.

no not pink...but maybe a glassy navy blue or dark red (black with red glints).

whatever.

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 12:43 AM

the ONLY text i have trouble reading is in my Microsoft Entourage. just the tabs to order messages either by "Sender" "Receiver" "Date Sent" "Date Received" thats the only area i've noticed. the rest as i already stated is amazing

Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 06:27 AM

Hey, thanks for the feedback,
About the text colors, again there is not much I can do right now for most of them..
I've the same problem with xi-mx7..
For now, we'll have to be patient and hope that a future SS/TP update will help fixing them..

Originally posted by quandarry:
you know this theme cries very loudly for variations where the dark grey (black) is replaced by different colors.

no not pink...but maybe a glassy navy blue or dark red (black with red glints).

whatever.

That never came to my mind actually!!
I'll think about it but I'm actually kind of excited about the idea

BlueIce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 01:35 PM

Anybody have any suggestions on an icon set to use with Xi-Tibook2? Great theme, by the way!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by BlueIce:
Anybody have any suggestions on an icon set to use with Xi-Tibook2?
Swiz' JetBlack icons go great with any dark theme. I've said it before, I'll say it again, that jet engine icon he created is my favorite icon of all time. Very, very cool!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by BlueIce:
Anybody have any suggestions on an icon set to use with Xi-Tibook2? Great theme, by the way!
You could tint all of your icons like Frisbee did and make them look like .

Forum Links
Forum Rules