Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't use any FTP progs :S

Can't use any FTP progs :S
Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 10:12 AM

I'm desperate you guys....

If tried Fetch, Rbrowserlite, Transmit and tried Apple+K in finder but nothing works.
The Finder FTP mount doesn't let me do anything.
All the other FTP progs have the same problems. When i try to upload something it stalls. With every program. So i think it's not some bug but it's my machine.
With my PC i can upload just fine so it can't be the ports on my router. I Have no firewall running on my mac so that's not it either. HELP ME
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

Alpha-sphere  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 02:33 PM

Nobody?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 05:14 PM

did you turn on ftp in the sharing preference pane??

(try that)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 05:29 PM

Sometimes I have to change the setting for Passive mode with Transmit. I forget whether it's turning it on or off, but it's worth a try.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2004, 05:38 PM

If you've enabled the firewall in the "Sharing" Systems Preference, it tells you to "enable passive FTP mode using the Proxies tab in Network Preferences". My guess is that your firewall is on, in which case, you should make sure that the passive FTP mode setting is, in fact, enabled.

Then, you should also tell your FTP client to use passive mode (or PASV mode).

If you're still having trouble... well, I got nothing.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 11:52 AM

try it from the finder

Code:
ftp mysite.com

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 12:11 PM

If you have a router, you probably need to open port 21 on it. The Linksys routers all have a default password and login of "admin" for both fields, (point a browser to 192.168.1) then open the port and point it to your IP address on your mac. (most likely 192.168.1.100, if it's the only machine attached to the router.)

Edit: I re -read your post-- didn't see the bit about the PC at first. Maybe port 21 is only pointing to the PC on the router? Worth checking, anyway.

You could just make your mac a DMZ, then use the OS X software firewall.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 06:50 PM

Do you have a firewall or router?

Alpha-sphere  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by eggman:
If you've enabled the firewall in the "Sharing" Systems Preference, it tells you to "enable passive FTP mode using the Proxies tab in Network Preferences". My guess is that your firewall is on, in which case, you should make sure that the passive FTP mode setting is, in fact, enabled.

Then, you should also tell your FTP client to use passive mode (or PASV mode).

If you're still having trouble... well, I got nothing.
I just tried unchecking it and it the same as before. But the wierd thing now is that i can upload but when i try to remove something it takes forever :S really wierd.

Yes i have a router (linksys) and yes the router is running a firewall but OSX firewall is off.

EDIT: i just turned DMZ and OSX firewall on but it still won't work. Being a PC/Mac user i kinda wanna see if a fresh install would make any differance
( Last edited by Alpha-sphere; May 9, 2004 at 07:15 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Alpha-sphere:
I just tried unchecking it and it the same as before. But the wierd thing now is that i can upload but when i try to remove something it takes forever :S really wierd.

Yes i have a router (linksys) and yes the router is running a firewall but OSX firewall is off.

EDIT: i just turned DMZ and OSX firewall on but it still won't work. Being a PC/Mac user i kinda wanna see if a fresh install would make any differance
If yr gonna turn the OS X firewall on, you've got to open port 21 on it, too.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Alpha-sphere:
It can, but Mac users generally like to use the reinstall as a last resort. It's best to try to discover what the cause of the problem is.

Have you recently installed the Developer's Tools (Xcode) and then uninstalled it? The Xcode uninstaller has a bug in it: it can delete important system files. On my system, I lost the ability to use Software update or enable the built in FTP server.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:32 AM

Turning on the FTP port on Mac OS X's firewall is only really for incoming requests. Having it off shouldn't be blocking FTP uploads.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Alpha-sphere  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Turning on the FTP port on Mac OS X's firewall is only really for incoming requests. Having it off shouldn't be blocking FTP uploads.
Exactly