Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I think I've decided on a DVD-R

I think I've decided on a DVD-R
benhamtroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 02:11 PM

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Pioneer DVR-107D. NewEgg carries it, but they're out of stock.

Can anyone recommend an alternate online retailer that might carry it and won't steal my money?

Thanks!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 02:15 PM

Are you sure NewEgg is out? They're at the top of Froggle's list. If so, there are plenty of others...

benhamtroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 02:55 PM

Yeah, they're out. A couple of the places listed there don't even seem to carry it anymore . . . Weird.

NewEgg says they expect to have it back in stock on 9/20 (Monday). Anyone have any experience with the accuracy of those numbers? I'm willing to wait, since they have the best price/shipping combo and they are trustworthy. I'll try somewhere else, though, if I'm looking at weeks or months for it.

jeffnudi
Sep 17, 2004, 08:25 PM

I assume that you are talking about an internal drive. I bought one last week from J&R Computers (although the paperwork says J&R Music World). It was around $115 incuding shipping. It has a $40 mail in rebate. Got it Friday and installed it Saturday. I have a G4 400 AGP. Only one problem with the installation. The face of the tray is larger that on the original tray. With the bezel installed, the tray won't slide out. I just need to get a file and provide some clearance, but I have not done that yet. System Profiler rcognizes the drive as Aple Supported/Shipped.

I am running 10.3.5 and using Toast Titanium 6 to burn iMovie DVDs. Slower than death as you might expect on my machine. An iMovie that is about an hour and forty minutes took about 24 hours to compile or compress (or whatever the process is that Toast uses to get it ready to burn). Actual burning time was pretty quick though, and I have burned three different movies this week without any coasters.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by benhamtroll:
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Pioneer DVR-107D. NewEgg carries it, but they're out of stock.

Can anyone recommend an alternate online retailer that might carry it and won't steal my money?

Thanks!
Other World Computing. Very reputable. I've probably spent over $1000 with them over the last few years.

benhamtroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the lead on OWC. Unfortunately their prices are enough higher that I'll probably wait. I've got a limited budget that the wife will allow me to spend . . .

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by benhamtroll:
Thanks for the lead on OWC. Unfortunately their prices are enough higher that I'll probably wait. I've got a limited budget that the wife will allow me to spend . . .
Check the main page at xlr8yourmac.com periodically. OWC often posts specials there. I picked up a Pioneer DVR-107D from OWC a couple months ago for $107.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by jeffnudi:
I have a G4 400 AGP. Only one problem with the installation. The face of the tray is larger that on the original tray. With the bezel installed, the tray won't slide out. I just need to get a file and provide some clearance, but I have not done that yet.
Really? I installed a bare-drive OEM version DVR-107D in one of my Macs - a gigabit ethernet PowerMac - and the tray opens without problem.

Did you buy the OEM version (plain beige or black face) or the retail version (beige or black with several silver logos on the drive tray front and a round silver eject button, supplied with software, etc)?

jeffnudi
Sep 18, 2004, 09:53 AM

Must be the retail version. It came with some Ulead (not Mac OS compatible) software and has the silver button. The full model number is DVR-A07XLA.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by jeffnudi:
Must be the retail version. It came with some Ulead (not Mac OS compatible) software and has the silver button. The full model number is DVR-A07XLA.
Yep. That's the retail version. The drive tray cover is larger than average, so I can see how it would not clear the G4's opening. I've got almost the same one (DVR-A07XLB - black color) in my PC at home.

benhamtroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 11:45 AM

The one I'm looking at is the OEM version, newegg's price is $80+s/h. Not bad, if it comes back in stock.

This is my first experience with OEM peripherals. Do you know if something like this will come with the ata cable, or will I need to buy one? Apparently newegg considers that a 'support' question, and won't answer it . . .

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 03:41 PM

Looks like Newegg has the drives now:

http://www.newegg.com

edit: my link must have been to a temporary page

but I just checked on sept 21st and the drives are in stock for $80
( Last edited by davidflas; Sep 21, 2004 at 10:56 AM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 10:12 PM

I put this drive in my eMac. It's pretty good. It didn't work quite right until I updated the firmware though.
Latest firmware with OS X installers are available on this site. They also have region free patched firmware. Site is in french, but don't panic, the installers themselves are English. Scroll down nearly half way and you will see the 107 stuff.
http://www.macetvideo.com/flashpione...ioneerosx.html
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

benhamtroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 01:31 PM

Yeah, they were dead on with their estimate, and I ordered mine. Shipped the same day, and it's already about halfway here. Make me happy.

I'll have to check the firmware, although I'm not sure how well it will work with a firewire set up like I'll be using . . .

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 09:17 PM

congrats .. is that internal or external...?

oh ... and does apple only work with - format, or is it just that they bundle - burners?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
congrats .. is that internal or external...?

oh ... and does apple only work with - format, or is it just that they bundle - burners?
this would be an internal drive. but can, of course, be used externally in a firewire case.

and this particular drive does +/- and all that crap.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules