Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ATA/IDE Controller Card for PCI slot

ATA/IDE Controller Card for PCI slot
jeffnudi
Nov 1, 2001, 02:36 PM

Does this make sense, or am I not looking for the right thing? I am looking for a controller card to add a new ATA/IDE hard drive to my G4 400 AGP Mac. I have two drives installed now (a 30 gig that I added, and the 10 gig that came with the G4). When I search for controller cards I get prices as low as $23 for PCI cards for a Windows machine, but they start at $94 for a Mac. Is there a difference, and does the price make sense? If these prices are accurate, I will just replace the 10 gig with the new 100 gig that I bought.

guerro
Nov 1, 2001, 04:39 PM

Yes, these prices you have quoted are accurate. I think the ROM is different and that is why the Mac version is higher. I think the main feature you get when you choose a controller card is the RAID capabilities. If you just want to upgrade the HD then yeah it would be cheaper just to replace the 10 gig

cheers
Damn you all to the bowels of bloody hell ! - Stewart Griffin

jeffnudi  (op)
Nov 1, 2001, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules