Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Adding internal DVD drive

Adding internal DVD drive
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 05:29 PM

Is it possible to install an internal DVD burner, like the SuperDrice, in my MDD G4 1.25 GHz, one that will work with OSX burning software? If so, what brands, and approximate cost, are most compatible with OSX. Should I get a combo CD/DVD unit or just add DVD unit since my CD drive works fine.

Thanks,

Doug

bryoung
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 08:44 PM

Get a Pioneer DVR-109. Fully supported in tiger from what I have read. I personally have a dvr-108 and it works great in my G5.

B
24" iMac 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 20" iMac 2.0GHz Core Duo ~ 13" MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo

jeffnudi
May 22, 2005, 11:10 AM

Have you checked at xlr8YourMac.com?

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 22, 2005, 11:42 AM

The drive database on xlr8yourmac.com would definitely be the place to look for a compatible and recommended solution.

You'll also find installation advices and other info on the various drives in the reports from people who upgraded tehir systems.

And from what I remember, the Pioneer unit recommended above is not a bad choice. But go check for yourself
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

hotani
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 04:12 PM

I have an MDD system and just installed a Lite-On "SOHW-1673S BLK" and it burns anything. Ran me a whopping $53. So far I've just used Toast to burn, but as I understand it you can install PatchBurn to enable it with iApps. When I bought it I had every intention of doing just that, but haven't found the need. Even iDVD will export an image you can burn with Toast.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 08:34 PM

Was your installation a basic unplug the old and plug in the new Lite-On or did you have to configure something. Just wondering since the website doesn't show Mac support.

Thanks

Doug

hotani
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 09:01 PM

I used the lower bay, so now I have 2 optical drives. This was my installation process:

- move jumper to cable select
- remove front bezel from tray (you'll have to unlock the tray with a bent paperclip or something to get it to come out, then remove the thin plastic piece on front)
- mount in the drive bay and plug it in

That was it. I booted up after that and Toast saw it, although iTunes doesn't, but I'm sure it would if I installed PatchBurn. CDs and DVDs entered in the drive show up in the Finder, but I haven't tried a boot test yet. I've read other reviews that said it works, I just haven't confirmed.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2005, 02:34 PM

I'd go for a Pioneer DVR-109 or DVR-A09(retail version). Works in all the apps out of the box (iApps, Toast, Disc Burner etc). They can be gotten for cheap online.

Also the successor to the 109, the DVR-110 was just announced today.

and yes, installing is as simple as unplugging the old, plugging in the new. (or install in second drive bay for MDD)

I just got a DVR-109 and I'm extremely pleased.
ice

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by hotani

- remove front bezel from tray (you'll have to unlock the tray with a bent paperclip or something to get it to come out, then remove the thin plastic piece on front)
Remember to do what hotani says, it is really important, otherwise you are not going to be able to open the drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules