Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger on the prowl...

Tiger on the prowl...
Warp9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2005, 11:10 PM

Eureka! Installed Tiger successfully using the "target disc mode" method and firewire.

One little thing though: the "host" computer rebooted fine, but the "target" did not. And when I hit the reset or restart button the computer took forever to reboot and actually seemed to freeze. On intuition I then restarted while holding the "X" key down and the computer rebooted instantly and quickly to the Setup Assistant. Very Nice.

I've already upgraded to 10.4.1 and this week I'll dispatch the install DVD for exchange for the install CDs. At least now in the interim I have Tiger installed and can poke around and explore it at my leisure.

And so far everything seems to be working fine and my third party programs all seem to be responding fine without a hitch. I've yet to try my printer and LaCie external cd drive, but I don't expect any bother. Last time though when I installed Jaguar 10.2.3 I had to reinstall my HP printer driver to reconfigure and getting working. But even if I have to do that again it's a two minute affair, same with my cd driver if necessary.

Because I was installing remotely from a friend's G4 iBook I did a simple easy install upgrade rather than a custom install where I would have forewent installing any unnecessary duplicate language files and extraneous printer drivers. Still no biggy because I can delete those easy enough tomorrow.

The Dashboard thingy is kinda neat and I definately notice most things responding more quickly and smoothly than previously with Jaguar. It's almost as if I'd gotten a mild processor and/or RAM upgrade.

This should be fun and hopefully everything will be as stable and effortless as it was before.

Warp9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2005, 01:19 AM

Nice. Just used Monolingual to remove extraneous language files. Saved 1.1G of space from the hard drive. Very thorough little program albeit a bit time consuming, but much easier to use and more sophisticated than deleting duplicate language files individually the old way.

I've never done a "target disc mode" install before either and so it was a good learning experience. I had a bit of trouble because of a defective firewire cable--the "target" computer wasn't showing up on the "host" computer's desktop even the the "target" computer was clearly in target disc mode--but once a good cable was connected it went very smoothly.

I also deleted most of the printer drivers I didn't need and saved myself another 1G of space on the hard drive. Tomorrow I'll get more specific about which HP drivers I don't need.

Most of Tiger's changes appear to be under the hood so to speak. Visually the windows and such have a slightly modified look to the familiar OS X style. There are a few new functions which I haven't explored yet, but then I'm still just getting used to it.

Automator seems interesting to create workflows that simplify repetitive tasks, but I haven't thought of any use for it just yet. I'm wondering if perhaps this is some sort of shortcut for what could previously (and still) be done with AppleScript. I don't know or maybe I'm not understanding something here.

The Dashboard stricks me as a little cute, but I've yet to envision anything that I need to have access to that easily that it needs to be displayed instantly on the desktop. I did scan some of the widgets available for download on Apple's site and I did see some things that could be put up for amusement's sake as well as a few things that could actually be a bit useful (or at least convenient) for some folks depending on their interests.

Spotlight seems to be an internal search tool to find anything on your computer, but isn't that partly what Sherlock was for? And previously you could always find things by going through Finder so I fail to see the big leap here.

I have noticed that things overall are working faster and more smoothly than before as if I'd gotten a modest bump in RAM and/or processor speed, and that's always a welcome change. Safari also seems more powerful and faster than before in surfing the net. Sites are loading faster and Safari was pretty good already before. And unless my eyes are deceiving me images and text, everything all around actually, somehow seems to look just a little crisper and more vivid.
( Last edited by Warp9; May 29, 2005 at 10:24 AM. )

Warp9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2005, 02:09 PM

Question: Would the Printer Driver Installer Packages be separate from the printer driver you may already have on your computer?

I did an update install of Tiger and it nicely preserved of printer user settings. But Tiger also installed quite a few Printer Driver Installer Packages. I easily deleted the Packages that were not HP (which is the make of my current printer), but I'm hesitant to dicard this HP Installer Package because I don't want to accidently delete my own printer driver.

My present driver and the HP Installer Package that Tiger installed seem to be in two separate locations, but I just want to be certain or do I have to go into the Installer Package and selectively delete the drivers other than my own.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2005, 03:56 PM

Next time, do a custom install and you can choose which language packs are installed from the get-go.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2005, 04:10 PM

I was just going to write what Randman said, a much safer way to go. Also, in Panther I had used that language stripping program and it completely f'ed up some of my software updates from Apple. Had to reinstall the OS...

Also, I never install any of the printer drivers, 1GB of drivers that I'll never use....
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Warp9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by echosphere
I was just going to write what Randman said, a much safer way to go. Also, in Panther I had used that language stripping program and it completely f'ed up some of my software updates from Apple. Had to reinstall the OS...

Also, I never install any of the printer drivers, 1GB of drivers that I'll never use....
In the futere, whenever, I will always do customized upgrade and not load any of the localized files or any printer packages since all printers come with driver install CDs anyway

Forum Links
Forum Rules