Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Forgot to deauthorize. . . am I screwed???

Forgot to deauthorize. . . am I screwed???
Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 09:05 PM

I made the mistake of forgetting to deauthorize (iTunes Music Store) two of my computers before selling them. Now I cannot legitimately authorize a new computer. To compound the problem, I had already chosen the option of deauthorizing all my computers just a couple of months ago, so that option isn't available to me again for almost a year.

So. . . am I out of options? It's ridiculous that Apple doesn't provide us a way of authorizing/deauthorizing from any computer we own. Anybody have any suggestions?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 09:16 PM

My worst nighmare....... I would call Apple. Be very, very polite but firm, and hope that somebody can fix it. Let me know how this goes as I can understand your frustration.
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 10:12 PM

I did this awhile ago. I forget how I fixed it, but I know it involved calling Apple. I think I called the Apple support # 1-800-275-2273. I agree that you should be nice a polite, because the one thing I do remember is that it was made clear that they were doing this as a courtesy. So play nice.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:42 AM

I wonder why Apple would allow you only one Deauthorize All per year?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
So you learn to do it yourself.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 06:10 AM

…it was made clear that they were doing this as a courtesy.
How nice of them to have the courtesy of letting you listen to your own music! </sarcasm>

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 07:01 AM

If you could unlimitedly Deauthorize All then there would effectively be no limit on how many computers you can listen to music. We could create a MacNN iTMS account and all purchase music for it and whenever a forum member wants to listen to music he would press the Deauthorize All button and disconnect from the net. A little bit uncomfortable but we'd have a giant library of purchased music.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
If you could unlimitedly Deauthorize All then there would effectively be no limit on how many computers you can listen to music. We could create a MacNN iTMS account and all purchase music for it and whenever a forum member wants to listen to music he would press the Deauthorize All button and disconnect from the net. A little bit uncomfortable but we'd have a giant library of purchased music.
Yeah, but you could do the same thing now with "Deauthorize This Computer."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 11:52 AM

Yeah, but you could do the same thing now with "Deauthorize This Computer."
No, you can't. You can only "Deauthorize This Computer" only from the computer you are deauthorizing. So there's guaranteed a maximum of 5 computers authorized. "Deauthorizing All Computers" nominally deauthorizes 4 other computers, but as long as those computers don't go online with iTunes they don't know about it and still play the music. You could authorize an unlimited amount of machines with "Deauthorize All Computers" if you could do that as often as you wanted to.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
No, you can't. You can only "Deauthorize This Computer" only from the computer you are deauthorizing. So there's guaranteed a maximum of 5 computers authorized. "Deauthorizing All Computers" nominally deauthorizes 4 other computers, but as long as those computers don't go online with iTunes they don't know about it and still play the music. You could authorize an unlimited amount of machines with "Deauthorize All Computers" if you could do that as often as you wanted to.
What I mean is more than 5 people could share an iTunes login & music if they remember to deauthorize themselves when done listening for the day.
Having only one use of Deauthorize All doesn't really stop people from sharing music against the iTMS EUA.
I see your point, but still I just think its silly to be limited to one use per year.

noreturn
Nov 5, 2005, 02:20 PM

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but a while back I changed my email address for my Apple account. I forgot to change my email address in iTunes, and when I tried to buy some music, it got all screwy on me.

I don't know how seperated the two are (authorization and iTMS), but you could always try changing your email address and see if the other computers choke on that.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2005, 05:08 PM

Fortunately in Canada programs like JHymn are legal. So aside from two albums I downloaded just recently I've stripped FairPlay from my files. Mainly cause I wanted to play them on one of my computers I have in a remote location not able to connect to the net as of right now.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 06:00 PM

Yes JHymn is a mighty handy app - I had to deauthorize tracks I had purchased in order to use them with my DJ software.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2005, 02:13 AM

I tried jhymn on a couple of tracks (10 actually). Only got it to work on 3. 30% is pretty poor.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules