Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I am going to London for 7 weeks!!

I am going to London for 7 weeks!!
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 11:37 PM

So my college has 3 projects you have to do before you can graduate. One of the projects is what they call an Interactive Qualifying Project. Its a non-major related social science project done at one of 16 project centers around the world (~60 percent of students go abroad):

Bankok (Thailand), Boston (US), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (PRC), London (England), Melborne (Australia), San Jose (Costa Rica), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Venice (Italy), Washington D.C (US), Windhoek (Namibia), Worcester (US)

So my first pick was London and I just got the letter in the mail! I am so excited about this. Usually, people don't get their first pick, especially at popular sites like London. Luckily, I had a really good interview. The bad news is, I wont be going for over a year. I am going from about March 10 to May 1st of 2007.

So, I know this is really early considering I am not going for another year but I am so excited and I want to know as much as possible.

Things to see? Weather? Good bars? If anyone has any info about cheap trips to other parts of Europe that would be great too. Basically I want to get as much information as possibly. I am going to staying in Chelsea.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 11:52 PM

you lucky bitch, staying in chelsea will allow you to visit stamford bridge and watch the mighty Chelsea FC crush all before them! that and other crap like castles and **** are nearby, but who really cares when you can see Joe Cole and Damien Duff screaming down the flanks to supply Drogba more goals

i envy you!

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 12:01 AM

Is football in season during march to may? I would to go see a game.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 12:05 AM

Sounds like it'll be nice, have fun!

On a more critical note, why do Americans always include the exact amount of time whenever they mention their travels? Nearly every American I know who has traveled, explains their trips like this: "I spent 3 days in Rome, and then I went to Spain for 2 weeks, and then also last year I went to Ireland for 1 month". Europeans on the other hand, are less specific about it. Normally they won't even want to tell you where they've been.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 12:11 AM

You should stay in Worcester.. the most exciting place on earth!

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
You should stay in Worcester.. the most exciting place on earth!
I actually put down Boston and Washington DC as my last 2 choices even though meant forking over a couple thousand (and not even leaving the country). As long as I got out of worcester I would be happy...
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan

On a more critical note, why do Americans always include the exact amount of time whenever they mention their travels? Nearly every American I know who has traveled, explains their trips like this: "I spent 3 days in Rome, and then I went to Spain for 2 weeks, and then also last year I went to Ireland for 1 month". Europeans on the other hand, are less specific about it. Normally they won't even want to tell you where they've been.
i don't see any harm in either approach, do you?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan

*Maybe Americans are more open and more communicative. Possibly **Europeans are more guarded and less trusting.

*I don't believe either of these statements. But is that what you ared trying to say?

**Seriously, can you really lump that many cultures into one stereotype?

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 07:28 AM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/maps/

downloadable PDF (ergo searchable) tube maps

bring a mix of clothes, London's weather can be a bit topsy turvy - cold at the moment, it is winter. But not cold like Toronto (my only experience of North America).

London Eye - big wheel thing over the Thames would be good for a look, probably best to pre-book it.

Loads of bars/pubs/clubs round Soho - but London has 'em all over. Leicester (pronouced lester, but don't disappoint the locals, Americans pronouce it lycester - kidding) Square is a good starting place. Don't really know Chelsea.

easyjet, ryanair etc do cheap flights to Europe and stuff. Watch out for their check in times though - got to be there 2 hours or so b4, or they won't let you on the plane. Check in time is usually longer than the flight. May also be offers on eurostar, railway service to Paris from London, Waterloo (station named after a battle where we beat the French).

There's all the Museums (Nat Hist, Science - welcome wing is cool, V&A) in South Kensington - free entry, I think. British Museum (Egyptian etc) just off Tottenham Court Rd.

Edinburgh (edin-borough) is supposed to be good as well.

There's all the history stuff as well - the Queen etc, you could go and see Ken Livingstone's glass testicle (mayor's building) near tower bridge and HMS belfast.

brick lane, lots of curry houses. You could travel out to Essex eg Romford and go to a club there if you wanted to meet essex girls. But personally I'd stay in London.

anyway enjoy your time in London/UK

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 07:36 AM

you could also nip over to Amsterdam

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2006, 09:04 AM

Check out this place when you are there (about 20 mins from where you will live).

http://www.thewolseley.com/

Best food I have had in ages!

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2006, 10:47 AM

Not too shabby an area to be living in that's for sure!

Footy season finishes mid May, so you should easily get to see a game.

Just take lots of cash for pints of lager and get out of London if you want to meet friendly, sociable Brits - Head North!! - York is a good stop for lots of historic stuff and nr my home city of Leeds, which is hard to beat for a good night on the tiles.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2006, 10:48 AM

dp
( Last edited by bells0; Jan 5, 2006 at 10:55 AM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 11:08 AM

Congratulations TheMosco. This is a fantastic opportunity. I wish you all the best.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 11:09 AM

Congratulations TheMosco. This is a fantastic opportunity. I wish you all the best.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 11:39 AM

Chelsea is nice, if a bit posh for my personal taste - during my time in London I lived either in North Kensington (just around the corner from Portobello market), Islington or the East End. Having said that, Islington has been mightily gentrified recently.

Rule number one: Bring money. As much as you can. London is insanely expensive, especially if you're used to small town US prices.

But it is without doubt one of the coolest places on earth, especially when you're young.

robfarri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

Hey Mosco, I'm a University student too living in London at the moment as part of my course. I'm afraid to say Mastrap is correct - London is ridiculously expensive. For travel you are best off getting a months travel pass on Oyster card (about £50-60 I think for Chelsea) which gives you unlimited travel in zone 1 (London is split into zones, of which central London where Chelsea and all the main attractions are located is zone 1)

As for bars - there are so many it is impossible to recommend! Take a look at www.latenightlondon.co.uk and www.viewlondon.co.uk for a taster. Been warned though - central London is gonna cost you. Average night out around Leicester Sq and Soho would be about £60 for me sticking to inexpensive drinks. I did once go out with a group of 5 friends to a club called Umbaba where Gwen Steffani has been and the bar tab came to £750! ($1300) I don't do that regularly I'll tell you!

good luck

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Rule number one: Bring money. As much as you can. London is insanely expensive, especially if you're used to small town US prices.
You can say that again. And again. From what I can gather, the most affordable places to eat, drink, entertain, or buy essentials, are at best equal to moderate or high prices in the US. 'Normal' cost of everything is approximately double what it would cost in much of the USA. (not including New York and the like).

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I realize its going to be expensive. I talked to a bunch of people that went to london last year because put that number one on my list. My parents realize that its going to be pricey too.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2006, 06:06 PM

go see Hampton Court... it is just outside of London, it is so amazing
ride the tube, it rocks
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 01:49 AM

Every student is given a tube pass and someone said something about a cell phone too but I am not exactly sure. What is great about the projects is that they are done during the day, and I will not have to do any work past 4-5 so I will have every night and weekend free to go around london plus the some random time they give us to go to other parts of europe.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 10:09 AM

Try to get outside of London a bit as well -- and I don't just mean a trip to Stratford Upon Avon or other touristy places like Stonehenge. Make sure to visit some of its georgeous regional towns like Luton, Wolverhampton, or Milton Keynes.

OK, that list was a joke. But seriously, 4/5 of Britons don't live in London and it's a nice small size that will let you visit some of its diverse regions with quite a short train trip. Outside of London it also gets quite a bit cheaper. You might want to spend a weekend trotting up to Yorkshire or over to Wales or to one of the regional cities like Norwich. See something a bit off the beaten path. You will have a more interesting time if you go to places where the locals aren't quite so jaded about visiting American tourists.

Edit to add that also some of the best museums are outside of London. Some examples:

The National Museum of Photography, Film and Television, Bradford. http://www.nmpft.org.uk/

The Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth. http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/ Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (same area, has the Mary Rose and HMS Victory). http://www.flagship.org.uk/welcome.html

The Imperial War Museum, Duxford (near Cambridge, it's a huge aviation museum). http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Jan 7, 2006 at 10:43 AM. )

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Some examples:

The National Museum of Photography, Film and Television, Bradford. http://www.nmpft.org.uk/
About 10 mins from where i live

Combine with a visit to Leeds for shopping, night out and the http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsit...p?sectionId=81

Then onto York for some historic stuff

SVass
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 12:40 PM

two points: http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product...productID=2306

A good guide book read in advance can save you lots of time and give you ideas.

When I went, I was advised to take a couple of extra passport pictures which I did and then they were used for the long term bus/underground passes that saved lots of money. sam

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 02:20 PM

This is totally unfair. You are going to England to get drunk. When there are incredible museums to see, buildings so incredibly beautiful some that dates from the 14 century, and some older, and there is a tower from the times of the Romans still standing. It is ashamed you are not into this kind of stuff, just getting drunk.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 02:56 PM

i live and work in London and try to get drunk most days, doesn't stop me seeing the beautiful sites, admittedly it's while i'm stumbling around looking for the next gin palace or cab home *hic

Forum Links
Forum Rules