Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > what a mac really can't do, or can't do well?

what a mac really can't do, or can't do well?
seen_xu
Jun 15, 2006, 07:37 PM

after 3 years of mac using experience. have you guys ever encounter any serious tasks that mac can not handel or just say it, can not handel it well.

to my specific case:
1. there are still no decent appz can audio/video chat with pc world, Let's just think with only lower than 5% market share, we have still a lot of people do not own a mac! skype only do audio well, wengo advertised to do both audio and video, but never got it to work with my girlfriend. if I've missing something, please just remind me.
2. As I think there are not a single piece of appz can handel internet streaming TV programs on Mac, comparing to the pc world, they have tons of them... like ppstream and pplive
3. Ok, Apple said mac can run microsoft office, does it run well?! to be strict, NO! when I read an on pc exported excel file on mac, then export it into CSV file, and import this CSV file into MySQL, it acts just weird! when I open the same excel in openoffice, it does have better compatibility than microsoft office. hope Apple will finally have their own spreadsheet app.

[edit]
4. Mac is lack of CAD software, but we still have some alternative: (LightWave3D with LWCAD plugin, google sketchup, and Vectorworks)
5. flash in browser runs slowly
6. BAD playback of windows media files
7. safari still have some compatibility issues with some sites, sometimes runs laggy.
8. ichat AV needs to automatic detect NAT, Firewall type and run over them, and maybe just as good as skype!
9. no good native dictionary applications like babylon on pc, stardict in linux world.
10. lack of Mechanical Engineering software

with or without these aspects, I will still be stick with mac. but just wanna discussed with your guys, as your opinion, in which areas a mac still can't do well, let's just improve it.

PS. don't remind me to install windows on a mac, this looks ugly and do not suit with each other.
( Last edited by seen_xu; Jun 21, 2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: to be more exact to the topic.)
Have a Mac, Never Come Back!?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 07:42 PM

The official AIM chat client apparently works quite well with iChat.

If you don't want to use AIM, true, the solutions either suck or aren't (yet) implemented on the Mac.

seen_xu  (op)
Jun 15, 2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
The official AIM chat client apparently works quite well with iChat.

If you don't want to use AIM, true, the solutions either suck or aren't (yet) implemented on the Mac.
thx for the remind, will try it with my girlfriend tomorrow. hope it works!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 07:54 PM

AIM 5.9 (not Triton!) and Trillian Pro both work with iChat AV.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 09:16 PM

Print, scan, or do anything but generate garbage with an HP LaserJet 3200.*

3D CAD, espically at the high end but also at the consumer level.

* Note this refers to the Intel Macs.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 09:59 PM

Macs can't get infected with the 1,000s of malware available for Windows.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by seen_xu
3. Ok, Apple said mac can run microsoft office, does it run well?! to be strict, NO! when I read an on pc exported excel file on mac, then export it into CSV file, and import this CSV file into MySQL, it acts just weird! when I open the same excel in openoffice, it does have better compatibility than microsoft office. hope Apple will finally have their own spreadsheet app.
I'm not a Microsoft fan, but it's solid let of programs.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 11:16 PM

If you're on PPC...

1. Flash
2. The internet

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Abit667
If you're on PPC...
What?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 12:22 AM

People keep saying AIM 5.9 works fine with iChat for audio/video chat, but that is not an option for people who don't speak English. I had a hell of a time getting anything to work with a Japanese friend of mine, as the latest localized version of AIM does not work with iChat at all.

xe0
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 02:00 AM

File icon previews!

XP does a much better job at displaying file previews, and its something I still struggle without.
True, most files display previews, but things such as Quicktime associated files (mov, avi etc) still don't render a preview in icon veiw.

XP even previews 3ds max files damn it - and XP renders file previews with blazing speed compared to OSX. When are we going to get improved file previews!

xe0
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 02:02 AM

If you're on PPC...

1. Flash
2. The internet
I second that.

And its not much better with x86 at the moment either.

seen_xu  (op)
Jun 16, 2006, 05:09 AM

If you're on PPC...

1. Flash
2. The internet
ok, flash in safari performs slower than on pc, I had also noticed that, esp, when a webpage full of flash ads, my cpu fans runs crazy.
but by "the internet" option, what your point is? I can't really get it.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2006, 06:36 AM

ok, flash in safari performs slower than on pc, I had also noticed that, esp, when a webpage full of flash ads, my cpu fans runs crazy.
All Macromedia software works better on Windows. I hope Adobe will flex their muscle and sort these apps out.

If you're on x86, you're probably waiting for the Flip4Mac port to use some WMV files, but that's a temporary niggle.

Good old Microsoft abandoned a perfectly decent version of Outlook to bring us Entourage. And if you're logging into Webmail, well, ENJOY! That whole experience is better on Windows.

Emulation software can be better on Windows - Amiga Forever with WinUAE for instance.

I'm struggling though....

Chris

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
AIM 5.9 (not Triton!) and Trillian Pro both work with iChat AV.
I also thought that Triton won't work, but I recently ran into Apple's iChat FAQ that says:
Yes, with iChat AV 2.1 or later you can chat via text, and you can use two-way video conferencing. With the latest version of iChat, included in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, you can perform an audio conference with AOL's Triton Beta software, the latest available AIM client, as well as a two-way video conference.
On the Triton site's "fixed issues" page, it lists "No video image is transmitted by both the buddies during a Live Video session established between Triton Client and AIM/Strauss/iChat client" as a fixed issue. So maybe it works now. I have no way of knowing since I don't have a PC.

tooki

seen_xu  (op)
Jun 16, 2006, 01:32 PM

no, either ichat av or aim 5.9 or both of them can not properly detect the NAT type, so it may not establish the connection. poor aim and ichat...

epluth
Jun 16, 2006, 01:39 PM

Windows media on my mac is hideous crap. And my machine is pretty up to date.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 16, 2006, 02:07 PM

I think it is more of an issue of what developers limit for Mac users with their applications and websites. Microsoft has a history of incompatibility with the rest of the internet and as more people adopt their standards the more sites will cease to work right on the Mac.
Apple's iChat application is the first instant messenger for the Mac that I have seen that takes advantage of the technology available. Yahoo!, Microsoft, and Google have little interest in our platform and it shows when you see their instant messengers. Here is a feature release for the Mac: Now with more smileys and user pictures!
iChat's feature release easily topples that:Multi-way video chat, audio chat with up to 10 people, instant messaging, smiley faces, take a silly user picture with Photo Booth, better resolutions, parental controls, and so on.
One thing I have learned over the years is to stop comparing Mac OS X to Windows because its old. Yes Mac users are limited by what they can do now but it is going to get better. I guess the one thing that Macs are terrible at doing is viewing Windows Media files but then who's fault is that?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
So maybe it works now.
OK. This is good news. Thanks for paying attention.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by epluth
Windows media on my mac is hideous crap. And my machine is pretty up to date.
So Download Flip4Mac

kick52
Baninated
Jun 16, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by xe0
I second that.

And its not much better with x86 at the moment either.
you mean they suck on ppc? they work fine for me.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
you mean they suck on ppc? they work fine for me.
Me, too.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 07:43 PM

really, iChat is the only problem I've had.

as for 3D CAD--
http://www.sketchup.com/ has a pretty good rep, from what I hear. Obviously its no AutoCAD, but whatever...

Also, if you would like do general 3D work and also do some CAD work, LightWave3D with the LWCAD plugin is pretty nice.

oh yeah, and WMP does suck... but QuickTime and iTunes are much better anyway......

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 07:48 PM

Flip4Mac is excellent. Need the Universal Binary badly.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69
It's been out

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
It's been out
Care to provide a link to the Universal Binary version?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 12:10 AM

My only problem really is video playback over local area network. My Windows PCs seem to perform better when playing videos over my LAN (100Mbps or via 54Mbps WiFi), but my Macs will occasionally stutter. The PCs seem to be able to maintain a consistent throughput, but my Macs will fluctuate.

Other than that, I'm glad most of the work I do I can already do on the Mac pretty well.

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 04:20 AM

VectorWorks is a great Mac CAD app.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 06:55 AM

5. flash in browser runs slowly
This has really been improved with Intel Macs. Flash content on my iMac is almost as fast as any other PC I have used running XP..

A PowerMac G5 1.8 (SP) I use at school runs flash content much, much slower than my iMac (or MacBook) does
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2006, 08:54 AM

It's been out
So please give a link. I'm anxiously awaiting the UB.
•

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 10:00 AM

It's been out
Doesn't seem to be out on their website. They say it is high on the development priority, but not available yet.
SAm

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

seen_xu  (op)
Jun 17, 2006, 02:53 PM

Flip4Mac do improved the ability for browsers (safari & firefox) to view the streaming media. but it is not sufficient, it still needs more work!

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
One thing I have learned over the years is to stop comparing Mac OS X to Windows because its old. Yes Mac users are limited by what they can do now but it is going to get better. I guess the one thing that Macs are terrible at doing is viewing Windows Media files but then who's fault is that?
I don't intend to compare with windows, and never will!
but just have a look, which parts we shall still do to make Mac more perfect.
and maybe attract more new switcher.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 17, 2006, 03:05 PM

oh now i see your point, you mean flash in safari sucks, i thought you meant the application. Flash 8 pro works fine for me (400mhz g4) , and they play quite fast.

but i dont get your point with the internet one. safari is ok (and im on dialup) and sometimes quite zippy.

os x is quite fast generaly, especially when you do maintence every 1 or 2 weeks

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 03:12 PM

* Be a good cheap (emphasis on cheap) server
* Run old hardware as effectively as I like
* Emulate certain platforms
* Cost less then $1099 for a new laptop
* Cost $400
* Be a cheap, practical office computer

Of course, I don't want most of this. But Linux can do almost all of it. It's a great OS for those tasks.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

seen_xu  (op)
Jun 17, 2006, 04:50 PM

but i dont get your point with the internet one. safari is ok (and im on dialup) and sometimes quite zippy.
maybe my case will be a little bit special, to render chinese webpages or asia characters, safari seems to be always the slowest one.. this is just my point.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 17, 2006, 05:27 PM

maybe my case will be a little bit special, to render chinese webpages or asia characters, safari seems to be always the slowest one.. this is just my point.
now i can see why its slow. (for you)

Abit667
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 10:12 PM

oh now i see your point, you mean flash in safari sucks, i thought you meant the application. Flash 8 pro works fine for me (400mhz g4) , and they play quite fast.

os x is quite fast generaly, especially when you do maintence every 1 or 2 weeks
I'm talking about the general laggyness of things. For instance, I'm on a dual G4 867, not fast, but shouldn't be slow at doing anything like webbrowsing. I just did a fresh install of Tiger, and using either safari or the optimized firefox builds, or Camino, I've noticed the same things which really bother me. For instance, just scrolling webpages cranks the processors up and is not smooth, there's a bit of delay, it feels weird. The worst though, take a website everyone here has probably seen, digg.com. All that javascript ****, for instance on digg, if you hide or unhide the comments the effect goes insanely slow and uses a ton of processor. I've used really old pcs and it's totally smooth doing the same thing.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 11:52 PM

Do you have smooth scrolling enabled? Digg is slow for me on my quad, with the latest versions of WebKit, so it's the site, not Safari.

seen_xu  (op)
Jun 19, 2006, 04:48 PM

and i have to say, on Mac there are no decent dictionary applications like babylon on pc, stardict in linux world, as I know, stardict had be ported to darwinports. but scanning words are still not as powerful as on linux, and someone would recommend me ultralingua, but I wanna say this piece of dictionary like a piece of crap (forgive me to use bad word), lack of direct translation of selected words, and still needs a wide range of good dictionaries to support like Duden, Oxford, Cambridge, and thinking about its price, not worth every penny! so it may be also someone recommend me a online dictionary, but just think of that when we have no Internet, how can we look up words? the default apple dictionary? oh man, I wanna look up german words, can it help me?
( Last edited by seen_xu; Jun 22, 2006 at 03:42 AM. )

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 10:35 PM

One word that comes to mind. . . games.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacGallant
One word that comes to mind. . . games.
Unless you like buying games that have been out on the PC for over a year. Oh, and at twice the price of their PC counterparts.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 06:12 AM

...or unless you have an intel mac

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

siMac
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69
Strange, I've had nothing but problems. Quicktime Player quits unexpectedly every launch and Safari quits when loading any page with embedded WMV. Seems to be a known problem, the only suggested 'workaround' is to uninstall Flip4Mac. Uninstalled, still waiting for a fix...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2006, 06:43 AM

Mechanical Engineering on a mac is still difficult.

None of the big MCAD products (Catia, ProE, Solidworks, Inventor, NX, Solid Edge). There is only one decent option: Cobalt from Ashlar Vellum

None of the big FEA products (Ansys, Cosmos, MSC Fea)

No Mathcad

xe0
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 07:31 AM

Actually I find OSX to be slow, generally. Even with regular maintenance.
Comparatively, XP seems to run particularly faster in regards to the UI. Although one could ague that the OSX is far more advanced in the UI department - hence the performance hit.

Regarding Flash on Windows. I must say, if you find .swf files play fast on a 400 clocked G4, you probably need to test out your files on a recent PC. You will be pleasantly, or uncomfortably surprised at how well Macromedia (Adobe) have optimized Flash for the Windows Platform. The new intel Macs are also, no match for a recent PC running windows in terms of Flash content. Its a sad fact.

And even though Macromedia (Adobe) have improved Flash 8 Authoring on OSX (MX 2004 was embarrassingly inefficient) it is, along with the Flash player slow and cumbersome compared to developing on a Windows PC.

And thats coming from a web dev who works in a all Mac studio. Why don't we use PC's for developing you may ask? Because there are so many positives to the Mac argument.

I hope, that Adobe really puts some effort into the CS3 release and delivers professionals what we need, on our platform of choice.

xe0
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 07:31 AM

[double post]

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by xe0
Actually I find OSX to be slow, generally. Even with regular maintenance.
Comparatively, XP seems to run particularly faster in regards to the UI. Although one could ague that the OSX is far more advanced in the UI department - hence the performance hit.
With the move to Intel, OS X is finally just as fast as Windows in most areas as far as I can tell. I always found it to be just a tad slow (UI-wise) prior to Intel. I find it ironic that the most powerful Mac I have owned over the past 8 years is also the one that cost the least. (Black MacBook).

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
What?
Intel Macs are much faster at both

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ism

None of the big MCAD products (Catia, ProE, Solidworks, Inventor, NX, Solid Edge). There is only one decent option: Cobalt from Ashlar Vellum

No Mathcad
Ditto.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

j3tang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ism

No Mathcad

Greetings from Fellow Mech Eng!

I find not having the CAD packages as mentioned above quite inconvenient.
ABAQUS for FEA was planned for porting to mac, but then it got dumped ...

MathCAD was useful when i was in school .. but I've since started to use MatLab and it is an excellent software, which has a mac version. I occasionally still find MatCAD very convenient and easy to use for simple things (which i have to do so on a PC). Maybe MatLab might be an option for you on the mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules