Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 20" iMac or 23" Cinema Display w/ Core Duo Mac Mini?

20" iMac or 23" Cinema Display w/ Core Duo Mac Mini?
thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 01:02 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out in making a decision. I have just sold my 20" iMac bc of the WWDC06 (You never know what Steve Jobs will come up with). If nothing is updated or changed, I am really interested on getting a 23" Cinema Display and a $799 Mac Mini.

What should I do?

1. Buy another 20" iMac?
2. Buy a 23" Cinema Display and $799.00 Mac Mini?

I like the looks of the Cinema Display much more than the iMac's.

Question:
Is the Mac Mini 1.66 much slower than the iMac 2.00 ?
Will I regret getting a much smaller Hard Drive (even though I have a 200GB External Firewire Hard Drive), less video RAM (I don't play games on my computer) etc..??

What are the disadvantages of getting the Mini vs the iMac?

I am doing all this for the screen. I think that the Cinema Displays look Gorgeous...What should I do?

Any help will be highly appreciated.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 01:44 PM

You'll end have up having a little more cable clutter than you would with the iMac. I dont think there'll be any difference in the iMac's form factor at WWDC, maybe a speed bump but that's all.

The Mini will also most probably get either a processor upgrade to Core2Duo or a price slash..

Baring this in mind - you can either go for the "looker+cable clutter'r" with the ACD and the mini or the "performer+to an extent looks" with the new iMac with the speed bump.. You can pick whats more important for you =)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 11:37 PM

mac mini vs imac

5400rpm HD vs 7200rpm HD
160gb HD vs 500gb HD
no isight vs has isight
1.66 dual core vs 2.0 dual core
slower optical drive vs faster optical drive
can only drive one monitor vs can drive two monitors

all else seems to be the same...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
mac mini vs imac

5400rpm HD vs 7200rpm HD
160gb HD vs 500gb HD
Also 2.5" vs 3.5"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 02:19 AM

heres a query...is a 2.5" running at 7200rpm slower than a 3.5" running at the same speed? i would think yes but have no rationale as to why.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 02:33 AM

Hey guys, thank you for all the replies, but do you guys think I would regret it in terms of Hard Drive Size and RPM (80GB 5400RPM vs 250GB 7200RPM). Speed etc?

The video RAM, will I notice any difference when opening Dashboard and other applications?

What would you guys do in my situation? Buy another iMac or the the 23" Screen and a $799 Mini?
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 06:45 AM

iMac all the way for me. Faster drive and better gfx card are important. Plus although the Cinema Displays looks stunning they are overpriced and under-specified for what they are. Mind you they are long overdue for an update...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 06:57 AM

get an iMac...
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 07:07 AM

The Video card will be hurting if you do that. That's quite a large display to power with the GMA9XX anything. I plug my MacBook into my 24inch dell often but it has noticiable slow down for things like front row etc. A MacMini would be a terrible idea.

I'm personally holding out for new powermacs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
heres a query...is a 2.5" running at 7200rpm slower than a 3.5" running at the same speed? i would think yes but have no rationale as to why.
Yes.... fewer platters and smaller platters.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 11:58 PM

I decided to get the Mac Mini w/23" Display . The 23" Display price went down to $999 today after WWDC.
Anyways, I had an iMac Core Duo w/ 256 Video and I have not noticed any difference using the Mini. It is just as fast. I have also purchased 1GB DDR2 Ram and the wireless mighty mouse today online and it should be arriving soon.
I am amazed! The Cinema display is so bright that it hurts my eyes, I had to turn the brightness down. I couldn't have made a better choice. As for the wires, I got to hide them behind the desk.

The image quality of the Cinema Display is a lot crispier and colorful than the iMac Core Duo (even though the specs state otherwise).
I saw the Macbook at the store today and decided to buy it also. I saw the new black Macbook but it is not glossy like the white, so I got the white instead.

Anyways, thank you for all the help!

Here are the pics:

jtaylr77
Aug 8, 2006, 12:41 AM

Can I ask where you got that desk?

I think you made the right choice! I have the G4 mini w/20" and it still rocks.
Mark it 8 Dude.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by jtaylr77
Can I ask where you got that desk?

I think you made the right choice! I have the G4 mini w/20" and it still rocks.
I got it at Target for $199.00

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 02:38 AM

targets been coming out with that black wood furniture that i personally think is the bees knees...nice setup and nice setup. enjoi.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 02:28 PM

hmm i'm thinking of getting this setup and selling my imac g5. ( already have the macbook) hmm or just getting a cinema display for my laptop.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 04:09 PM

Im so jealous of you rich people. "Oh and I saw a Macbook and decided to go ahead and pick that up as well" You lucky bastard.

grinder
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 04:40 PM

My brother's 2000€ MacBook setup arrived to day. I couldn't be less jealous

We've been playing network games all day.
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus
Im so jealous of you rich people. "Oh and I saw a Macbook and decided to go ahead and pick that up as well" You lucky bastard.
TOTALLY SECONDED!! I'm having to work my ass off (typing this on the work computer) to get a blackbook lol!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 10:38 PM

i work my "ass" off to get the things i get.......

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 11:13 PM

"Oh and I saw a Macbook and decided to go ahead and pick that up as well"

wow i wish i can say that about any apple product period.
by the way love the simplicity in your setup

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 12:16 AM

Thank you for all the compliments on the set up. It was hard to get rid of the wires, specially the Cinema Display bundle wires.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 01:19 AM

That's a nice looking desk. Puts my white and orange one from IKEA to shame.

I bought my wife the macbook this week. It's a sweet little machine. I had the 160gb disk and 2 gb ram stuffed in. I also bought that clear OWC 2.5" enclosure and stuffed my old 5400 rpm 80gb drive from my mini into it. Now I can store all my work junk and some other stuff on it.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

MiniMoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 04:07 AM

> The Cinema display is so bright that it hurts my eyes, I had to turn the brightness down.

Do the calibration in System Preferences -> Displays -> Color
Moe
1.66GHz Core-Duo Mini, 2GB/120GB, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Apple iSight Camera
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 12:39 PM

We just moved into a 64-bit world. All max 2 GB RAM boxes (i.e. both iMacs and Minis) are very future-limited as regards pro applications. Even the existing old non-UB version of Photoshop already prefers 6-8 GB RAM on board. So in that regard the Mini setup is preferable because when you do upgrade the excellent display need not be changed.

IMO iMacs are good choices only for folks who can forecast that their uses will always be low end like email, surfing, Office and listening to music.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
We just moved into a 64-bit world. All max 2 GB RAM boxes (i.e. both iMacs and Minis) are very future-limited as regards pro applications. Even the existing old non-UB version of Photoshop already prefers 6-8 GB RAM on board.
Although the official limit is 2GB, the Intel chipset docs say it should support 4GB.
As soon as 2GB SO-DIMMs become affordable (currently $1500+), hopefully someone will try it.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 07:32 PM

Got my 1GB Memory RAM today. It was a hassle to upgrade the RAM. I didn't know that I had to take the whole computer apart so that freaked me out a little bit. My HK Soundsticks arrived as well and they sound awesome.

The MacMini is flying now, no lags, just as fast as the iMac...

As for the Wireless Mighty Mouse, it is backordered everywhere even at the local Apple stores. When I purchased it, Amazon stated usually ships within 3-5 days. Well I checked my order today and it is showing that the items has not yet been released (go figure).

Updated picture with hk soundsticks:

( Last edited by thiagofll; Aug 9, 2006 at 08:24 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules