Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac Pictures

24" iMac Pictures
thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

Just received my 24" iMac. This thing is huge!. It does not look like the the pic but it is huge.

23" Cinema Display vs 24" iMac

More beautiful than ever!

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 01:04 PM

Great, but you're going to have to update your sig...

By the way, how is the screen, especially when compare to the ACD? - it's just that I'm wary that the 24" iMac seems like such a good deal.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 01:06 PM

Wow... that is what I swapped. It will look a little bigger on the desk, but save a lot of space under the desk.

I too would like to know how the screen looks in comparison.

BZ

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 01:08 PM

My router is acting up on me, give me about half an hour and I will post the screen comparison.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 01:17 PM

Ok...the 24" iMac has a brighter screen and there is more detail to the default wallpaper. The 23" Cinema Display colors are more saturated than the iMac standard conf.

Hope this helps.

This is a beautiful machine. It's huge though, I am still trying to get used to it. It feels like its bigger than my room.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 01:17 PM

Nice.. Although its an iMac everyone's knows about already, a mini-review would be great!

Congrats on your new HUGE toy!

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

Im planning on getting one as soon as my local dealer gets em here..

How would you rate this for use in a room as a all-in primary computer and TV when hooked up to one of the Elgato's device? Whats the sound like?

When you say huge, do you mean its over sized or just overwhelmingly nice huge? =)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 01:23 PM

WOW...you went from an imac to a mac mini and 23" to a 24" imac...not too shabby. i remember thinking bout your situation when i heard the 24" imac was released.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 01:23 PM

What do you have hooked up to the 23"?

Compare the speed.

How are the speakers?

BZ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2006, 01:50 PM

Look at the pic and you'll see it's a Mini.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 02:09 PM

Ah.

BZ

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 02:13 PM

Very nice.

I'm thinking of getting one along with a MacBook to replace my 17" Powerbook.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 02:47 PM

nice.

now move that imac a bit away from the edge of the desk...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 03:06 PM

Hey,

The speakers are pretty good compared to the old 20" iMac. When you first see the 24" iMac you will be overwhelmed by the size, I thought it was gonna be pretty much the same size as the 23" but its much bigger (the case etc).

I just love this machine, it's fast, it's silent, I think they improved the Superdrive (the cd/dvd goes in smooth).

Some people have rated the Core 2 Duo not to be a big upgrade, but in my opinion it is, you will notice it right away.

I can't wait for the Macbook Pro update to Core 2 Duo. I will get it the first day it comes out.

I also ordered an 80GB iPod and it arrived with the iMac. The screen brightness is irrelevant, it's just the same as the 1st version of the 5G iPod, except for the storage and some other small upgrades, anyone thinking of getting the new ipod just released yesterday, don’t, unless you need the extra storage.

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
nice.

now move that imac a bit away from the edge of the desk...
i second that..

btw it looks beautiful! & congrats

quick side Q: does the mini have troubles running the 23"?

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by amru
i second that..

btw it looks beautiful! & congrats

quick side Q: does the mini have troubles running the 23"?

Hello,

I had 2GB DDR2 on my mini and it ran flawlessly. I am not sure how well it would do with less RAM.
After you spend $999 on the 23"Screen +$799 on the mini+keyboard+mouse+ram, the iMac is a much better choice and a lot faster too.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 08:35 PM

Now you have to double post and put these shots in the imac picture thread where they belong
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur
Now you have to double post and put these shots in the imac picture thread where they belong

Yeah I have to, I just gotta get rid of the mac mini and the cinema display, fix the setup and I will post the pics onto the picture thread...

I just posted here, because for days I wanted to see what the 24" display looked like (and I am sure other people did too) and I could not find any posts.

I put it side by side with the 23" ACD so people can see the difference in size...

phantonym
Sep 15, 2006, 10:19 AM

Can you tell us if the 24" iMac is user-upgradable like the iMac G5 version 1?

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 11:51 AM

I took this last night of one. Check out the iPod next to it. It made my 17" look like a toy. It was brighter than the 23" cin display although I dont know how old that was.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 01:44 PM

[FONT="Arial Black"]My 24" iMac pix[/FONT]

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 02:32 PM

Very, very nice. I should be joining the club by the end of the month at the very latest.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
[FONT="Arial Black"]My 24" iMac pix[/FONT]
In one of your pics, is that the OS X splash screen? I've never seen that before.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 03:09 PM

Do you mean this?

If so, that's one of the intro screens you get (with the funky electronic music playing in the background) when you first set up OS X.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 03:13 PM

Ooohhh yeah, of course. I totally forgot about the setup thing. Thanks for clearing that up.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 04:03 PM

Eug... what about the speed?

BZ

JasonL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 04:41 PM

I just got my 24" iMac and would like to share the photos with you all. Someone please walk me through the process for inserting the photos. When I tired to link or copy and paste the image, it only inserted the link to the file that is in computer. How do you attached the photos directly onto this message? I am new to this as you can see.

Thanks

Jason

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JasonL
I just got my 24" iMac and would like to share the photos with you all. Someone please walk me through the process for inserting the photos. When I tired to link or copy and paste the image, it only inserted the link to the file that is in computer. How do you attached the photos directly onto this message? I am new to this as you can see.

Thanks

Jason
You have to first host the photos on some webspace (.mac, flickr, imageshack,etc...)
For example you would go to ImageShack and upload your photos from your computer to their service and then copy the links provided and post them on the forum with the image tags around them.

JasonL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks glassman,

how did some of the previous posters get their image right onto their message. It seems like a lot work upload the photos and link it the message.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks glassman,

how did some of the previous posters get their image right onto their message. It seems like a lot work upload the photos and link it the message.
All previous pictures are hosted in one way another externally and not on this forum, if you want your image to appear in the message you have to use the forum supported image tags.
{[img]}hostedfileaddresshere{[/img]} without the little {} on around the img brackets.

JasonL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 07:02 PM

Good day to all. I received my 24" iMac this morning. There are some photos of the unboxing. I hope the photos are helpful to others that are waiting for the unit to come in. This is my first post to include images. If the link doesn't work, please advice.

Thanks,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97965193@N00/

Jason

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 07:52 PM

I got my iMac 24" today, only BTO option is 2GB. I upgraded from a 20" iMac G5.

Here is my mini review :-

Screen - Stunning is the only way to describe it. It does seem so much bigger than the 20", so much more desktop space, no need to overlap many windows. The bottom of the screen is the same height from the desk on all the iMacs so you do find you are looking much higher than before to see the top of the screen. I am sure I will get used to it.

iSight- The iSight seems to be pointing down which is good as otherwise you would only see the top of your head. Quality is very good, seems as good as the external iSight I had before.

Speed - Very impressed so far, iMovie, iPhoto are much quicker. iDVD has had a problem, I could not work on a project I built in the same version of iDVD on the G5. Every time I tried to access the Project Information screen iDVD crashed. Did all the usual repairs, but no joy. I did try to rip two CD's each time they only converted at less than 5x speed, which does seem odd. I guess I will try a few more see if it is a drive issue. Rosetta progs seem fine - MS Office is no different on here compared to the G5. The most impressive app I have tried is NoLimits - The Roller Coaster simulator. I have set the resolution to maximum turned on all the most complex shading, graphics etc and then rode one of the complicated wooden coasters. Quite simply it rocked, totally smooth graphics and incredible detail (it is a Universal app)

Move from old Mac - Flawless to be honest, just used the firewire lead and let it do the rest. It did take 4 hours for about 70 GB, but everything is working as expected, all apps, doc, etc.

Speakers - Much, much better than the smaller iMac, much louder which is great.

Airport - I had a few issues joining my Airport network and the signal strength is not as good on the new machine. I am reading one bar from max on the menu bar. The machine and Airport express are in the same room and only 15 feet apart, so this looks similar to the airport issue the original G5 iMac had.

Ian
( Last edited by Parky; Sep 16, 2006 at 01:04 PM. )
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 15, 2006, 11:17 PM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2006, 12:09 AM

Weird, it is like a 20" imac but 4 inches bigger somehow.

But I can't really tell unless the keyboard and mouse are lined up EXACTLY the same so next time be more precise!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Parky
I got my iMac 20" today, only BTO option is 2GB. I upgraded from a 20" iMac G5.
I'm guessing you meant you got the iMac 24" today...

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
I'm guessing you meant you got the iMac 24" today...
Yes you are right! I fixed it now, Thanks.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2006, 01:13 PM

Good day to all. I received my 24" iMac this morning. There are some photos of the unboxing. I hope the photos are helpful to others that are waiting for the unit to come in. This is my first post to include images. If the link doesn't work, please advice.
I find it great that you have a 24" iMac and that huge, 3-LCD monitor on your desk and yet still don't know how to host a picture on the intarweb.

You rule. Hope the computer's great.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 02:04 PM

Des the iMac 24" lineup well when next to a 20" or 23" ACD? I can't tell from the first pic thiagofll posted. I want to have a dual-screen setup but can't decide between an iMac+ACD or a MacPro+2ACDs.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2006, 02:15 PM

hmm i'm planning on getting one soon enough.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Des the iMac 24" lineup well when next to a 20" or 23" ACD? I can't tell from the first pic thiagofll posted. I want to have a dual-screen setup but can't decide between an iMac+ACD or a MacPro+2ACDs.

Hello, no the 23" Cinema Display is a lot lower. You would have to put a book or some other support under the screen, so they can be both even (side by side)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 01:28 AM

I'd consider an iMac and Dell 24" screen.

Why? Cuz they have the same pixel pitch, because the Dell is significantly cheaper (and often goes on sale too), and because the Dell has a height adjustable stand. It is also HDCP compliant, has a USB hub, and comes with video inputs.

Which reminds me... I suspect the Apple Cinema Displays will be updated relatively soon. They're overdue.

wkw88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 12:55 PM

I had a dell 24" screen for a short time. It was rather grainy and didn't have very good viewing angles. I basically had to look at it straight on and not move my head AT ALL to see a decent picture, even then it was too grainy. Does the 24" iMac look grainy compared to the 23" cinema? They share the same resolution so it makes me wonder

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 01:15 PM

Parky mentions the speakers... How are the imac 24" speakers compared to the G4 imacs external spheres (which I'm upgrading from) Anybody got both?
24" Intel imac | G4 imac 10.4.7 | G4 TiBook 10.4.7 | 2 x Bondi G3 imacs 9.2.1 | Apple emate | 4G ipod | ipod shuffle.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by HughUK
Parky mentions the speakers... How are the imac 24" speakers compared to the G4 imacs external spheres (which I'm upgrading from) Anybody got both?
My guess is that the 24-incher is going to outdo those satellites pretty handily. I don't think the iMac G4's speakers could manage 24W even as external systems.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

ray74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 10:07 AM

What about HDCP on iMac 24"? Will be possible in future viewing a HD protected film?
Maybe will come out a adapter for addind HDCP support!

blackslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 01:49 PM

That's so cool...need to take 3 weeks in singapore to deliver it I wish i have one!
Imac G5 with isight and ipod nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules