Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Keyboard shortcuts???

Keyboard shortcuts???
dawaves
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 08:59 PM

Keyboard shortcuts I would like to find out about:

-I want to know if there is a way to 'TAB' backwards?

-also is there a way to switch btwn Apps....like say im on the desktop and I have IE and Flash open in the background, is there a way to switch back and forth btwn these Apps???

-is there a way to empty the trash w/o going to the toolbar?

I've looked everywhere for these shortcuts but I cnat seem to find them....thanks.
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 10:20 PM

The tab key in the finder is to cycle between applications and there are no keys I know of to cycle between just the two apps you prefer even though there are others open.

As for going backwards in a browser, at least NS and IE: You would just use the Apple (command) key and the left or right arrow keys to go bak or forth.

As for deleting items and emptying the trash you can use a patch found on http://www.versiontracker.com and just do a search for finder and see what crops up as I am too tipsy to find the actual app. Other than that OS 9.1 does those functions.

Oh, I am a bit buzzed, lol

Allah
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 11:11 PM

To tab backwards just hold the shift key. this works in folders and when switching applications (Mac OS 8.5 and above). Don't have 8.5+? get this http://www.pure-mac.com/sys.html#liteswitch

[This message has been edited by Allah (edited 02-18-2001).]
Carp� Bandwidth

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 12:15 AM

AWESOME!!!! thx for the 'shift' tab shortcut....much appreciated...I

I am still looking for a shortcut to switch btwn APPS w/o using my mouse or trackpad....

thanx...
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

the siren
Feb 19, 2001, 03:08 PM

For switching between apps hit "apple-key � tab " to cycle forward, and hit "shift� apple-key�tab" to cycle backwards. to empty trash in finder, using )S 9.1, "shift�apple-key�delete". If you are on a loder os, go and check out http://www.resexcellence.com for finder hacks and patches.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 03:38 PM

dawaves, I'm also from SUNNY Calif, but it not very sunny today......

allah, you are very correct.....To travel thru the tabs backward use...shift + Tab

To select between programs, use LiteSwitch.. It does the job plus it is FreeWare..

Go to..........

http:www.proteron.com
bigbiker

cpu101
Feb 20, 2001, 12:02 AM

Oh I got one!

Hold down the apple key in finder windows and your mouse arrow turns into mickey mouse hand. Click and drag the windows as you do in Quark and Illustrator.

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2001, 05:14 AM

Thanks Siren!!! Much appreciated...

Anyone know any other cool shortcuts??

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2001, 01:09 PM

Ahhh, ty too Siren!

There also Mac keyboard shortcuts here: http://macos.about.com/library/weekly/aa021400a.htm

ariella
Feb 20, 2001, 08:42 PM

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 21, 2001, 12:56 PM

Actually I wish there was an alternative under OS 9.1 to empty trash of Locked items without using the mouse. It seems that the old method still applies even though we now have the nifty empty trash keyboard shortcut (COMMAND + SHIFT + DELETE) there should also be a "COMMAND + OPTION + SHIFT + DELETE" for emptying locked items as-well. But to do this you still have to "mouse" to the empty trash menu

Mike

cpu101
Feb 21, 2001, 04:35 PM

The reason for no "empty trash/empty locked trash" without a mouse dependent is really to protect the user from accidently erasing a file and or HD. I think I would be bummed if I f up in my commands and found out that I erased my harddrive.

Its seems to me that the easier it gets to complete daily task the harder it is to learn it. I beleive confusing one touch buttons can really intimidate new users myself included from using an app.

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2001, 07:47 PM

You could write a simple AppleScript to empty the trash (you'd have to have it bring the Finder to the front first) and assign the script to an F-Key in the Keyboard Control Panel. That way you could empty the trash with one button.

script text:

tell application "Finder"
activate
empty trash
end tell

Save As.. that with the Script Editor as a "classic applet" with "stay open" unchecked and "never show startup screen" checked. Put it somewhere safe and use the Keyboard Control Panel to assign the script to an F-Key. You'll need Mac OS 9.1 if you're using an older Mac, but the newer iMacs, the iBooks and the G4s all should have the F-Key feature in their Keyboard Control Panel even if you've got Mac OS 8.6 or later.

-Doug

Jim Retzner
Feb 22, 2001, 01:21 AM

If you have Action Utilities you can use Key Viewer to establish macros to empty the trash, put your Mac into a deep sleep, for whatever else you can doe via the mouse.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2001, 09:55 AM

to swithc between apps with an icon or something poping up you can use an app called Program Switcher. also you can setup hot keys too.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

caifara
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 06:02 AM

hey, about the script, I'm not able to do tests because I'm not working on my computer, but if the finder asks if you're sure you want to empty the trash, use this script:

script text:

tell application "Finder"
activate
empty trash without asking
end tell

caifara
-c

Stinkfist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 06:20 AM

This isn't a keyboard shortcut, but for switching between apps there's nothing better.

TaskMenuBar (link is in my signature).

It's what OS X should have been. Not only can you switch between apps with one click, using a pallet that is always visible and never in the way, but if you double click when switching, it switches to the app (or finder) and hides everything else! I cannot say enough positive things about TMB, you just have to try it for yourself. (no I'm not affiliated with it, I really dig it and I wish Apple had used something like it for OS X).

------------------
Forget the dock,
TaskMenuBar is real
GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.co
m/~kawahara/taskmen
ubar.html
Forget the dock, TaskMenuBar is real GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules