Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > System Profiler and Ram

System Profiler and Ram
jeffnudi
Mar 17, 2001, 12:39 PM

I asked this question as part of another post, but I don't think that was the proper place for it. I had purchased ram from Trans Intl twice in the past and had no problems at all. I bought 2-2-2 memory, installed it, and the G4 recognized it a 2-2-2 100 mhz. Last week I bought PC133 2-2-2 from Crucial, installed it, and the system profiler recognized it as 3-2-2. When I called Crucial, I was told by the tech support person that it was indeed 2-2-2, and that Apple computers have a problem that makes them think the memory is 3-2-2 because the part number is misidentified by the system profiler.

Does the system profiler actually figure out what the latency of the installed ram is, or does it just assume the latency based on recognition of the manufacturer's part number?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2001, 02:48 PM

system profiler doesn't calculate the latency of RAM. the latest version of it also misreports some RAM, as you discovered. it'll probably be updated and fixed sometime down the road.

-r.

jeffnudi  (op)
Mar 17, 2001, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules