Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Crucial vs Kingston Memory

Crucial vs Kingston Memory
slimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 02:03 PM

I'm going to need a whole bunch of ram when I buy a new G4. I know Kingston Memory has been around for ages but have read the excellent comments about Crucial in an earlier post. I know Kingston is more expensive. Is there any reason to pick one brand over the other? Thanks

ariella
Mar 11, 2001, 04:03 PM

crucial, a division of micron, produces top-quality ram. kingston is also top quality. i would go for the lower price.

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2001, 04:27 PM

I purchased 768MBof PC-100 for my B&W 2 weeks ago ($200 for 3 - 256MB sticks) from Data Memory Systems, and it is great. Not sure what brand the ship or if they make it themselves (probably not), but they offer Airborne next day to most US locations for only $7.00 too.......

I have also heard very positive comments regarding Crucial as well..

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2001, 06:44 PM

I'm actually a Pismo user, and several months ago, I purchaced a 128 MB no-name RAM upgrade. I noticed that my "memory performance" as reported by Newer Tech's Guage PRO dropped from 107 MB/s to 87 MB/s. I noticed no decrease in system performance. Whether my performance actually dropped is anyone's guess; I have not had the time since to bench my system with and without the DIMM. If I were buying RAM right now, I would buy from Crucial. They're not that more expensive: the upgrade I purchaced is $55 from crucial, $36 is the cheapest no-name price. Until I bench my system and see no evidence of performance degradation, I will always be suspicious of cheap RAM.

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Daishi
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2001, 01:53 AM

I've always gone with Kingston (since that's what the Campus Computer Store carries) and I've had and heard zero complaints.
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit

niko
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2001, 11:58 PM

I've bought from Crucial with NO problems.

jeffnudi
Mar 16, 2001, 02:13 PM

I had purchased from Trans International twice in the past and had no problems at all. Bought 2-2-2 memory, installed it, and the G4 recognized it a 2-2-2 100 mhz. Last week I bought PC133 2-2-2 from Crucial, installed it, and the system profiler recognized it as 3-2-2. When I called Crucial, I was told by the tech support person that it was indeed 2-2-2, and that Apple computers have a problem that makes them think the memory is 3-2-2 because the part number is misidentified.

Does the system profiler actually determine what the latency of the installed ram is, or does it just recognize the manufacturer's part number?

vega24
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2001, 10:36 AM

I've always bought my memory from Mushkin. When someone reviews their memory modules, they always give them high praise for stabilty. Their memory can post at clock speeds that make other memory modules scream for mercy. Check them out at www.mushkin.com They may not be the cheapest, but they know their sh!t when it comes to memory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules