Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > iOS 7 goes live with new look, Control Center, many other upgrades

iOS 7 goes live with new look, Control Center, many other upgrades
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 18, 2013, 02:40 PM

As planned, Apple has released iOS 7 via iTunes and as an over-the-air update. The firmware gives iOS a radically new look, and adds numerous features, such as Control Center, AirDrop, Activation Lock, iTunes Radio, and a new multitasking motif. To install the OS, people must be using at least an iPhone 4, iPad 2, or fifth-generation iPod touch.

Separately, XML data from Apple indicates that the iPhone 5s and 5c will be getting a special version of iOS 7, 7.0.1, when they launch on Friday. Reports suggest that the code will deal mainly with a bug affecting the 5s' Touch ID system and iTunes purchases. It's unknown if the devices will ship with v7.0.1 or have to download it later.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 18, 2013 at 03:44 PM. )

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2013, 05:27 PM

No luck so far. It downloaded in just a couple minutes, but now I keep getting a "Software Update Unavailable" error when it tries to install.

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 18, 2013, 05:44 PM

Finally got it downloaded and installed on my iPad 3Gen (want to be sure before I put it on my iPhone).

Pretty awesome on the iPad...and much different feel all around.

I have to give kudos to Apple for helping us older users by expanding the settings on visuals and type. I'm able to increase background contrast, more options for enlarging type as well as making it bold overall...quite nice and may just keep me from switching to the larger screen Android phones.

The app and window zooms along with the page fades are quite a nice but subtle addition. Overall, there are more text "hyperlinks" rather than icon/button motifs for making selections; for example, instead of a button stating "Back" in a setting, there is colored text hyperlink.

The 2 things I've observed in 30 minutes is that my iPad is much warmer. Not sure if this is the result of d/l, install and setup of iOS 7 but will know later once I get home. Second, the dynamic wallpaper appears to sputter on my version of iPad.

Of course, there are quite a few apps that have not yet updated to the new iOS 7 style, as well. So far though, I'm quite impressed in the new design & functionality.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2013, 07:24 PM

I've installed it on my iPhone 4 despite some fears it would be slower -- not so far, though. REALLY like the new control center, and the look isn't bothering me a bit. Really does feel like a new phone, though that will wear off of course. So far, fun ... and iTunes Radio is TERRIFIC.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2013, 08:18 PM

Hey pottymouth, was your device locked? I had the same problem on my iPad3, until I deactivated the lock code. That might have been co-incidental, but the install finally finished.

My iPad has the dynamic wallpaper sputter as well, can't say about heat because it's on a stand and I don't have any reference point.

All in all iOS7 has made my iMac seem like it's an ancient OS. Like Chas_m says, my phone and iPad feel like new machines.

So far my eyeTV streaming has been solid, where as before it would stop and stutter when using airplay.

Nicely done Apple.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2013, 10:02 PM

Solid upgrade. A few false starts with unexplainable errors -- might be overload on Apple's servers, or not, who knows.

Got it installed on my iPad 3 and my iPhone 4 and they are new machines, at least for the time being. I say usability is through the roof -- the settings we all wanted at our fingertips (bluetooth, wifi, etc.) are now, truly, at our fingertips.

The flat look is refreshing. There are some functions that will take minor adjustments, but they're minor -- nothing major. A few steps in the right direction for UI and usability.

Took about 45 minutes for each device, perhaps a tad quicker on the iPad 3.

Hell, this might satisfy my need for advancement such that maybe I don't need to rush out and upgrade my phone. iOS 6 was getting long in the tooth on the iPhone 4; iOS 7 breathes a smidgeon of new life into it.

DahlBryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2013, 09:31 AM

Waited 24hrs before downloading. Did it with iTunes on new iMac.
Have a 7+ Megabyte (megabyte, not megabit) pipe -
Took about 4 min. to DL 1.34GB iOS7 Update
Removed Lock Code on my iPad3 and No hiccups installing.
Took a total of 18 minutes to DL and install.
No probs with Parallax here. No heat differences noted.
Beautiful interface and so much better on an iPad.
Love the adjustable fonts.
Life's all about pushin' forward...

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2013, 11:18 AM

iPhone finally installed when I tried a couple hours later. iPad install went much smoother and completed in only about 15 min.

Immediate thoughts: Ugly and slow. I'm sure I'll get used to all the gray eventually, but it certainly seems like an unneeded and poorly implemented change with iOS 6 still fresh in my mind. I'm not as sure about the slowness. I can't imagine ever getting used to this, but maybe as I dig into new features the tradeoff will feel worthwhile.

Halfloaf
Sep 19, 2013, 02:13 PM

Rolling back to 6.1.3...Slow and the visuals on the iPhone 4 are completely out of proportion. Every action takes just that fraction longer. I don't want animations on my phone, I want speed. I hope Mavericks isn't anything like IOS 7.
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 20, 2013, 02:04 PM

Halfloaf... not sure how you are going to roll back to 6.1.3, I don't think it's possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules